|

Favorite Movie Kisses

One of my favorite scenes in a romantic movie is The Kiss. In many films dealing with romance there are lots of kisses but there is one kiss that is emphasized. The scene is highlighted through background music and dramatic setting. The moment is at a special point in the plot. We have reached a place where the kiss has meaning. Somehow it has become a pivot point for our two characters. And that kiss, that moment can often be the image most associated with that film. The following kisses are some of my personal favorites, in no particular order.

The Princess Bride

princessbridekiss

In The Princess Bride we are told: “Since the invention of the kiss, there have only been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind.” I can’t vouch for that but the scene is certainly beautiful.

Pride and Prejudice

ppkiss
The impossible happened when my favorite romance novel of all time was turned into my favorite television mini-series of all time. This outstanding production of Pride and Prejudice starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle ended with my personal favorite romantic kiss.

Lady and the Tramp

Lady-and-the-Tramp-kiss
This is an iconic screen kiss which hundreds have tried to copy. None have come close to the original.

The Quiet Man
This is an absolutely beautiful kiss. Stunning cinematography, handsome leads and a well enacted execution set it apart from your average screen kiss. I thought it brilliant when Stephen Spielberg revived it in E.T. The full effect of this one requires not a picture but a clip from the movie.

Titanic

In this moment breathtaking scenery and handsome leads are aided by a fabulous musical score.

Love Actually

samkiss
Proving that a kiss doesn’t have to be intense to be meaningful are Sam and Natalie from Love Actually. Sam starts his romantic tale by asking if there is anything “ Worse than the total agony of being in love?” The tale has its peak with this kiss.

Spiderman

spidermankiss
This gets points for being one of the most acrobatic kisses I have ever seen. It is also a very sweet one.

Casablanca

casablanca

No kiss list can be complete without this couple. What a love story!

From Here to Eternity

burt lancaster & deborah kerr - from here to eternity 1953

Perhaps the most copied kiss of any movie kiss in history; even in pictures the smoldering sexual chemistry of the two participants just explodes.

An Officer and a Gentleman

officerandgentleman

This is the closing scene of the film, a moment when a man finally grows up and realizes that he is about to leave behind the greatest thing that ever happened to him. Wisely he decides that would be a big mistake.

So there they are, my top ten favorite screen kisses. I am sure your list would be a little different. Which ones would your list include that I didn’t cover? Which ones do you completely agree with?

– Maggie Boyd

Subscribe
Notify of

49 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments