AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Phyllida and the Brotherhood of Philander"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WandaSue

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: "Phyllida and the Brotherhood of Philander" Reply with quote

I see that this Regency "romance" was reviewed here ... and received a D+.

Wow. Did I read the same book?

I just finished it, and for me it was definite "A" -- a definite DIK.

The characters came alive, the plot worked, and the concept of "bisexual romance" was -- IMO -- very well done. Not to mention that, to me, the writing was intelligent and did not talk down to the reader.

No, not a novel for the religiously and/or socially conservative reader. But if you're looking for something on the cutting edge -- this could be the romance for you.

BTW -- I loved both heroes, Andrew and Matthew!
HelenB

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Phillida Reply with quote

I agree with you. I have just finished this book and enjoyed it very much. It is definately a keeper for me, just shows how different we all are I suppose.
Terese

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the great thing about a site like this. People are free to disagree. I've learned a lot about books just from reading reviews and the sometimes opposing opinions that other readers post. Posts like yours have frequently helped me to decide whether or not to try a book. In this case I think I'll pass because bisexuality is not my cup of tea. But I appreciate reading other comments and seeing how other readers see a book.
Cyl

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out about this book on another site last week and I do want to read it.

Wanda Sue, which version did you read? The version reviewed here was self-published, but Phyllida has recently been re-released by Harper Collins. Does anyone know if there are any differences (editing?) between the two editions?

Oh, and the HC release has the same cover as one of the recent trade re-releases of a Georgette Heyer novel Very Happy
WandaSue

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyl wrote:
I found out about this book on another site last week and I do want to read it.

Wanda Sue, which version did you read? The version reviewed here was self-published, but Phyllida has recently been re-released by Harper Collins. Does anyone know if there are any differences (editing?) between the two editions?

Oh, and the HC release has the same cover as one of the recent trade re-releases of a Georgette Heyer novel Very Happy

I read the recently released, Harper Collins version. The cover is a painting from the 1880's called "Two strings to her bow," and it fits the story perfectly. (And yes, the same painting for a Georgette Heyer re-release -- but one-third cut off to show just one gentleman)

I don't know if there is a difference between the self-published and the recent re-release. All I know is that it was a fun read.
Cheryl AAR

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WandaSue wrote:
I don't know if there is a difference between the self-published and the recent re-release. All I know is that it was a fun read.

Wanda, could you tell me how many pages there were in the Harper Collins re-release? That would be the biggest indicator of editing, for the self-published book was a whopping 540 pages.

Thanks.
WandaSue

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheryl AAR wrote:
WandaSue wrote:

Wanda, could you tell me how many pages there were in the Harper Collins re-release? That would be the biggest indicator of editing, for the self-published book was a whopping 540 pages.

Thanks.

532 pages, trade size paperback.
Cheryl AAR

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WandaSue wrote:
532 pages, trade size paperback.

Thanks, Wanda. Sounds like it didn't get edited at all. Interesting.
WandaSue

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was long, but I read it quickly, enjoying every sentence, as well as the witty dialogue. I never had the impression that Herendeen was "enamored of her own writing." It was the most intelligent historical I've read this year.

Different strokes for different folks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: