AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meaty medieval recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natalie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Uncommon Vows by MJP, that's my top 1 medieval romance!

If you also like Tudor era (16th century) don't miss Lady Gallant, an amazing book with rich characters that totally feel like they belong to that period.
herta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: More Recommendations Reply with quote

Although harder to get, you might want to try Grace Ingram's Red Adam's Lady (try interloan at your library)I absolutely loved this book and have re-read it many, many times. She also wrote under the name Doris Sutcliffe Adams - you might want to try to find The Power of Darkness. Also, you might like the first two books by Pamela Kaufman, Shield of the Three Lions and Banners of Gold. Not my favourites but fun, nevertheless and certainly meatier and better researched than some of the wallpaper historicals out there.

I also loved Judith Merkle Riley's Work - the trilogy I especially liked is A Vision of Light, In Pursuit of the Green Lion and The Water Devil. All are set in medieval England.

Another author I truly enjoyed was Sylvian Hamilton. She died two years ago but managed to publish three books before she died. Also set in the Middle Ages - The Bone Pedlar, The Pendragon Banner and Gleemaiden.
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Meaty medieval recommendations Reply with quote

Kelly B wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for some good, meaty medieval reads.

If you're willing to read some older books, look up Zoe Oldenbourg. The books are set in the Cathar region of southern France, and are not really romances.

There was also another very "meaty" series of about six books on the late medieval French kings -- not romances. I read these in the late 1950s. If you are interested in straight historical novels, let me know and I'll look up the titles for you. The author was Maurice Druon and this site will give you some idea of whether you want to pursue them.

Both Oldenbourg and Druon wrote in French, so the English versions are translations, with all the associated hazards.

http://shelfandstuff.blogspot.com/2007/10/iron-king-by-maurice-druon.html

If you're willing to take your romances with mysteries thrown in, you might want to look at Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael series.

Virginia
xina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of a few more...Kelly, you mentioned that you read Pillars by Follett, have you read the (sort of) sequel...World Without End? I loved it, very realistic with 2 romances going on throughout the book. Also, The Chalice and the Blade and the sequel...Dreamstone by Glenna McReynolds. A little mysticism/fantasy thrown in, which I don't usually like, but Reynolds does it well. More...The Court of Love, Queen of May, The Conquered Heart...a series by Denee Cody. The Holding by Claudia Dain, Winterbourne by Susan Carroll.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the recommendations for Lady Gallant (Suzanne Robinson), and the titles by Lynn Kurland, Betina Krahn, Marsha Canham, Patricia Ryan and Karen Ranney.

Also check out Tina St. John's medievals, three of which received DIK reviews here:
http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=1814
http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=1437
http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=1438

I also enjoyed Candice Proctor's Night in Eden. Review here: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=4286
dick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second GraceC's recommendation for Krahn's "The Marriage Test." I liked the entire "test" trilogy, but "The Marriage Test" was without doubt the best--delicious, actually.
SarahT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Madeline Hunter's Medievals, especially the first three. They are: By Arrangement, By Possession, & By Design.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more I have to mention (noticed them on my bookshelf). On A Highland Shore and the sequel, Rivals For The Crown. Both by Kathleen Givens. Wonderful Scottish medieval settings.
belize

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old book, but a good one, is GREAT MARIA, by Cecelia Holland
clutterconqueror

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd very much like to recommend Claire Delacroix. She has a number of medievals. I've read four so far and enjoyed them immensely. I really enjoy the language she uses, as well as the stories themselves.

So far I've read:

The Heiress
The Snow White Bride
The Red Rose Bride
The Beauty Bride

Joyce
Jocelyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isolde Martyn had 3 I enjoyed - extra meaty - The Knight and the Rose, The Maiden and the Unicorn, and Moonlight and Shadow.

The Secret Swan by Shana Abe dealt with the plague, a second chance relationship, and arranged marriage (DIK here)

Tamara Leigh had a meaty medieval about forgivness called Saxon Bride.

Elizabeth Lowell's Untamed was very good as I recall and there were 2 more in that series.

Since you liked Madeline Hunter's By... series, you might like the linked book, Lord of a Thousand Nights - my favorite of the four - H/H each have their secrets.

I think it is time for Medieval to make it's comeback!!
NB

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Meaty medieval recommendations Reply with quote

Kelly B wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for some good, meaty medieval reads. I just reread Madeline Hunter's first three books (the "By" series), and I want more! (I still regret that she made the switch over to the Regency era and hold on to the hope that maybe she'll write another medieval someday). I particularly like the feel of the time period that she gives, particular the glimpse into London life.

Not sure if it fits your idea of meaty though: The Master of Verona by David Blixt. Set during 14th century Italy and has some 'familliar-looking' (or sounding) characters.
Janet Mullany

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin--not quite a romance, but you could read it as such; it's described as CSI meets the Canterbury Tales. It has a sequel, The Serpents Tooth, but I'd suggest reading them in order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: