AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vh1 documentary Sex the Revolution

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JessieG

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Vh1 documentary Sex the Revolution Reply with quote

Earlier this week I started watching a 4 part documentary on Vh1 that chronicled changes in attitudes and practices of sex since the 50s. Being born in the 80s, I didn't live through this time period but wondered at the validity of the documentary. Of course, I have heard of hippies and free love but the show seemed to imply that it became mainstream to have different partners everyday, open marriages and go to risque retreats. Of course it mentioned the opposing religous groups but I wondered how much of the population actually embraced these activities? Were they just the fringes of society? If not, why do people get so stirred up over things like Janet Jackson's nipple on TV? Seems like small potatos after the group orgy retreat centers this program talked about. I do realize that the movement itself opened doors for the average person being able to talk about and obtain information about sex but was everyone as wild as the show made it seem.

I also do want to mention that the show did a very good job in showing how sexual liberation led to womens and gay rights movements.
LLB

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vh1 documentary Sex the Revolution Reply with quote

JessieG wrote:
Earlier this week I started watching a 4 part documentary on Vh1 that chronicled changes in attitudes and practices of sex since the 50s. Being born in the 80s, I didn't live through this time period but wondered at the validity of the documentary. Of course, I have heard of hippies and free love but the show seemed to imply that it became mainstream to have different partners everyday, open marriages and go to risque retreats. Of course it mentioned the opposing religous groups but I wondered how much of the population actually embraced these activities? Were they just the fringes of society? If not, why do people get so stirred up over things like Janet Jackson's nipple on TV? Seems like small potatos after the group orgy retreat centers this program talked about. I do realize that the movement itself opened doors for the average person being able to talk about and obtain information about sex but was everyone as wild as the show made it seem.

I also do want to mention that the show did a very good job in showing how sexual liberation led to womens and gay rights movements.

Jessie -

I TiVo'd this documentary but haven't watched it. Some of what you're talking about is definitely fringe stuff, but you cannot discount how the pill changed things. Remember that in the 60s, there was the pill, the sexual revolution, the civil rights movement, the women's movement, the anti-war movement...and all that hit up against a very conservative 50s mentality. As a result, lots of unrest, chaos, change, and eventually, backlash, which hit with a vengeance in the 80s. We are still working through that swing back of the pendulum.

The U.S. has very puritanical underpinnings, which is why we view things sexual differently than they do in other parts of the First World. We are also more religious in an organized sense, and many of those with the loudest of voices are from very conservative churches. It's no surprise to me that the backlash we started to go through in the 1980s occurred at the same time as many religious groups turned political.

The swinging and key parties and orgies represent the fringes of behavior from the sexual revolution. But the drug use and pre-marital sex was more mainstream. Sex is incredibly scary to us in the U.S. - always has been, and I think it always will be, because of our heritage. It explains why well-meaning adults are against the HPV vaccine for teen-age girls because they think it will promote sexual activity when in actuality, all it will do is save lives.
Natalie

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vh1 documentary Sex the Revolution Reply with quote

Quote:
The swinging and key parties and orgies represent the fringes of behavior from the sexual revolution. But the drug use and pre-marital sex was more mainstream. Sex is incredibly scary to us in the U.S. - always has been, and I think it always will be, because of our heritage. It explains why well-meaning adults are against the HPV vaccine for teen-age girls because they think it will promote sexual activity when in actuality, all it will do is save lives.

Actually, a lot of people oppose the vaccine because it was pushed into use (after significant lobbying by Merck) without sufficient testing. There were thousands adverse reports and even a few deaths, including one of a 12-year-old girl (so much for saving lives). Merck is spending millions to make it mandatory... only to help saving lives, right Rolling Eyes

You know, the more I read about the vaccine business (and yes, it's business above all else), the more I doubt if vaccines (at least, some of them) are as effective and safe as the government and pharmaceutical companies would want us to believe.
LLB

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vh1 documentary Sex the Revolution Reply with quote

Natalie wrote:
Actually, a lot of people oppose the vaccine because it was pushed into use (after significant lobbying by Merck) without sufficient testing. There were thousands adverse reports and even a few deaths, including one of a 12-year-old girl (so much for saving lives). Merck is spending millions to make it mandatory... only to help saving lives, right Rolling Eyes

Natalie -

The ONLY negatives I've read regarding this vaccine come from organizations with a specific agenda; these same organizations are against sex ed in schools, and suggest spending all money instead on abstinence funding. Medical school websites, pediatric websites, news organizations...all of them point to the efficacy of the vaccine, AND that few deaths were reported, and those were due to heart problems and/or blood clotting after receiving Gardasil and were most likely not related to the vaccine.

My brother-in-law is a pediatrician. He was in the army for 20+ years and spent much of that time working at bases around the world for the children of servicemen and women. He has absolutely no political agenda beyond the health and safety of children, and he thinks every single girl of age should receive the vaccine, but worries that the cost will be prohibitive for too many.

Governor Rick Perry's attempt to mandate the vaccine is the ONE and ONLY thing he's done in office that I agree with. He was specifically shot down by groups who believe if you give the HPV vaccine, you're giving tacit approval for pre-marital sex. In other words, some people would rather women DIE than be protected. I had a friend who, in her 30s, was diagnosed with cervical cancer from the HPV virus. Turns out she got it in college. She's okay, but she went through a lot of horrendous stuff getting healthy, and the idea that a series of three shots would protect other young women is something I can't believe ANYONE would have trouble with.
Natalie

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vh1 documentary Sex the Revolution Reply with quote

[quote="LLB"]
Natalie wrote:

Natalie -

The ONLY negatives I've read regarding this vaccine come from organizations with a specific agenda; these same organizations are against sex ed in schools, and suggest spending all money instead on abstinence funding.

Thankfully, I haven't met anyone of this type. But I do know folks who wouldn't use this vaccine because they don't vaccinate their kids anyway. And they're far from being christian fundamentalists, mind you.

Quote:
Medical school websites, pediatric websites, news organizations...all of them point to the efficacy of the vaccine, AND that few deaths were reported, and those were due to heart problems and/or blood clotting after receiving Gardasil and were most likely not related to the vaccine.

Medical community and health organizations have been wrong more than once before... so you must excuse those folks that want to check some facts before blindly trusting authorities.

Quote:
My brother-in-law is a pediatrician. He was in the army for 20+ years and spent much of that time working at bases around the world for the children of servicemen and women. He has absolutely no political agenda beyond the health and safety of children, and he thinks every single girl of age should receive the vaccine

Let's just hope he's right!
Chez

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Gardisil Reply with quote

Most wonderful thing our last government did was allow this vaccine onto the Public Benefits Scheme and provide for each and every female child aged 12 to 25 free access to this vaccine. (there is some particular reason why the vaccine is not suitable to women over the age of 25, but I can't be bothered looking it up now)

It is still the parents/guardians choice to allow the vaccine for the child, but it is freely available to all children in Australia at this time. On the public purse. So no child misses out on possible protection due to monetary constraints. Many people say lots of things about the government medicare system in my country, but ALL our children have the option (after parental approval) for receiving vaccines approved by the PBS.
KarenS

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The History Channel also does a pretty good program about sex in the 20th century. Each decade is given an hour to cover the highlights of tha that particular decade. Very interesting and enlightening. Hugh Hefner is interviewed and IIRC so is Helen Gurley Brown. There is also another program that talks about sex through the centuries as well. Both are worth watching. Definitely recommend them both.
Cora

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been some non-religious/morally based opposition in Austria against the HPV vaccine, since it was linked to the death of two teenagers. Now I am in favour of the vaccine, having seen relatives suffer from uterine cancer, but it should be made certain that it is indeed safe and the vaccinations should not be mandatory for those who for whatever reasons do not want them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: