|

Packing for Vacation

book.case Ah, summer reading! Who doesn’t love it? And of course, vacation reading is an important part of the joy of summer.

With my Kindle, it should be easy to pack for the trip. Simply slide the Kindle into suitcase and go. But after considerable thought I decided that that would not be the route I’d be taking this year. Yes, the Kindle will be going but a mid-size bag of books will be going too.

The reason is pretty simple. I am sick of my TBR. It has long since ceased to be a pile, has expanded beyond a shelf, then shelves, and is looming into a room. I don’t have a room to devote to it. So several books from my “pile” will be joining me on this trip.

Looking over the shelves determining which of these books will be coming with me has not all been easy. I knew two right off the bat. Bound to Love Her by Esri Rose has been sitting on the shelf since 2008. As part of my Unofficial AAR Forums Reading Challenge (11 in 2011) it has to come with me. I’ve made several false starts with this one and it will be good to finally finish it and drop it in a bag to head to the UBS.

Another book for the challenge will be Prince Charming Doesn’t Live Here by Christine Warren. I rarely receive books as gifts (people give me gift cards knowing that they will be spent within hours of being put in my hot little hands) so this is the only book I have that meets the criteria 1 book that was a gift.

For the remainder of the books, my choices were a bit tougher. I want to take books I will actually read – not just pick up and not get into. And yet I want to take books that will be a bit different from what I pick up at home. Since doing the 9 in ’09 Challenge and discovering that I liked inspirationals waaayyy too many have made it on to the TBR shelves. So I should take at least one of these – I am pretty sure it will be Deanne Gist’s Maid to Match. So far I’ve liked all her books and a light hearted book makes for perfect summer reading.

The unfortunate closing of Borders resulted in me going a bit crazy during the “all books three dollars or less” sale so at least one of those impulse buys has to come with me. I’ve decided on Dark Road Home by Karen Harper. I’m pretty excited about this one. I love romantic suspense and Harper will be a new to me author. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

This will be it. My unreasonable family expects me to spend time with them :-) so getting four books read in that one week tends to be a challenge.

What about you? How do you pack for vacation? Will they all be on your e-reader or are you taking a few paperbacks/hard backs as well? Do you tend to pick new to you authors or do you take favorites?

– Maggie Boyd

Subscribe
Notify of

22 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments