AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Amsterdam New Fall 2007 TV show
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
This week's episode gives us history as to why John becomes a police officer. He joined the forced in the spring of 2002 motivated by 9/11. He's angry over the attack on his city(I would be too if I were the oldest resident) so he wants to make a difference. I would like to have known his previous occupation but it's not given. Flashbacks are of when he joins the force and his relationship of his first partner who seeks his help in solving a crime.

Sara's mails her divorce papers off at the end of the show just before John gets shot. Last week's show we learn that her husband was cheating on her by never being home while he putting his girl friend through school.

So glad you brought this show up as I meant to comment on it. I was intrigued by their incorporation of 9-11 into the story. It would stand to reason that John would be deeply affected by what happened in NYC as it has been his home far longer than the Netherlands were. (Or, is he from Denmark?) It's interesting that he chose to join the police force rather than "rejoin" the U.S. military, but maybe he was too old? Anyway, where I really felt they were going -- with their emphasis that he's afraid of heights -- is that John was in one of the twin towers. I really felt they were going to go there, but no.... which was better since it probably would've been in poor taste.

All of that being said, I kind of got confused towards the end. A friend and I at work were trying to figure it out. Did he die and come back, thus leading to the supposition that the doctor is not "THE ONE"? (Surely people do survive gunshot wounds, but was he declared dead?) Frankly, it's just as well since the doctor doesn't really do it for me and I'm growing to like John's partner, Eva, better.

Of course, all of this might be moot if FOX decides not to sign up for more episodes after next week's "season finale".
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
All of that being said, I kind of got confused towards the end. A friend and I at work were trying to figure it out. Did he die and come back, thus leading to the supposition that the doctor is not "THE ONE"? (Surely people do survive gunshot wounds, but was he declared dead?) Frankly, it's just as well since the doctor doesn't really do it for me and I'm growing to like John's partner, Eva, better.

Of course, all of this might be moot if FOX decides not to sign up for more episodes after next week's "season finale".

The actor who plays John is from Denmark; the character John came to New Amsterdam from Holland.
They didn't make it clear in last Monday's episode if John died and resurrected or if he just recovered from being shot. Something Omar said in the previews hints that it was the former. We'll just have to wait and see.
Please let FOX renew this show.

Kay
KarenS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
It's interesting that he chose to join the police force rather than "rejoin" the U.S. military, but maybe he was too old? Anyway, where I really felt they were going -- with their emphasis that he's afraid of heights -- is that John was in one of the twin towers. I really felt they were going to go there, but no.... which was better since it probably would've been in poor taste.

The fear of heights could be like you said. I thought his hair style was a little strange for 2002. He had that Gordon Gecko look so I assume he was a stock broker or something.

The light and the tunnel and Sara looking at his photos of Time Square made me think she had accepted his story but then it showed that it was either a dream sequence or near-death experience.

Then the previews for next week show John and Omar discussing something that made me think that John may not feel Sara is the one. So will he dump her? Which could be his conundrum. Stay with Sara or keep searching? The finding of his soul mate in some ways doesn't make sense. Is he looking for her so he can die right away or would the relationship have him growing old along with her. I almost get the feeling that he wants to die as soon as he finds her. That doesn't make sense as you would think he would want to have a long, loving life with her after its taken 400 years to find her.
KarenS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
Please let FOX renew this show.

Sincerely hope they will renew it as I want to know more about John and his past lives and relationships. It's well written with wonderful actors so hope it's popular enough to be renewed. We'll have to see.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I think is interesting is that I like 21st century John so much better than who he was in his past lives. I mean, that's what life is all about, I guess...learning and growing and bettering ourselves...becoming better people. But I don't always like who he was in the flashbacks.
KarenS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bookbug who started this thread has a website for the show. The website says it's unlikely to be renewed. Argh!!! Hope this isn't true but very well may be. The site is up-to-date so this is the latest. Not encouraging at all.
KarenS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
One of the things I think is interesting is that I like 21st century John so much better than who he was in his past lives. I mean, that's what life is all about, I guess...learning and growing and bettering ourselves...becoming better people. But I don't always like who he was in the flashbacks.

Me, too! He wasn't always particularly likeable or a good person in his past lives. But I think the point is that he learned from his past mistakes and is trying to be a better person. There's been a lot of lost opportunities along the way and when he reflects on his past lives there is a lesson that is relevant to what he is doing in his present life.

Well is Sara the one or not? Now John's not certain so I can understand how frustrated Sara was at the end of the Love Hurts episode. I tend to doubt she's the one as she doesn't seem to want to believe John's story. If you loved someone, would you believe whatever they told you? Even if it's outlandish. On one hand one can see where Sara thinks John is either a congenital liar or delusional as he's been telling her stuff that's extremely far-fetched from her pov. But if you love someone would you have faith and believe whatever you're told?

Watched the premier again and just before his heart attack in the subway, John meets his new partner, Eva, so maybe it was a delayed reaction and she is the one after all. Who knows. Just hope we have resolution as I've gotten caught up in the show and want to know what's what.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
Well is Sara the one or not? Now John's not certain so I can understand how frustrated Sara was at the end of the Love Hurts episode. I tend to doubt she's the one as she doesn't seem to want to believe John's story. If you loved someone, would you believe whatever they told you? Even if it's outlandish. On one hand one can see where Sara thinks John is either a congenital liar or delusional as he's been telling her stuff that's extremely far-fetched from her pov. But if you love someone would you have faith and believe whatever you're told?

Oh, I don't know. Why does love mean that you should suspend your own intelligence or worldview? What's so wrong with proof. (I think of Jamie Fraser in Outlander. Claire feeds him some cockamamie story about being from the future and he wants to believe her, but he doesn't REALLY until he takes her to craigh na dun and puts her hand on the stone and watches her begin to dematerialize. THEN he believes her, because the proof is irrefutable. Once he has that proof, he can completely accept everything she says to him, everything she knows about what will happen. But does Jamie love Claire less because he needed that proof? I don't think so.)

But why hasn't John shown Sara HIS proof? He's got scads of proof that what he says is true. Why hasn't he taken her into his secret room and shown her...or had her read the notebooks the way he read them to Omar? Or heck...for that matter, why hasn't John had Omar talk to her on his behalf? He's said, "I'm 400 years old" but has backed that up with nothing. I think it's immature and delusional to spring the impossible on someone and expect that they will believe you, just because you said so. I think he deserved the slap.

John's character annoys me a bit. Like...it seemed to me that he took Sara for granted. He took it for granted that once he won her, she'd be happy to take whatever scraps he fed her. You know the scene where he's awake, working on his computer and she tries to lure him back to bed. Everything's on his terms now and he'll give Sara what time he can, when he chooses to -- when it doesn't interfere with some other aspect of his life. Watching that episode, I felt like Sara was an imposition...an unwelcome interruption in his life. I had the thought that I wouldn't want him as my boyfriend. And I'm glad Sara walked out on him. Relationships need to be about the integration of two lives, not the dominance of one life over another. I just think that John was being more take than give.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:

John's character annoys me a bit. Like...it seemed to me that he took Sara for granted. He took it for granted that once he won her, she'd be happy to take whatever scraps he fed her. You know the scene where he's awake, working on his computer and she tries to lure him back to bed. Everything's on his terms now and he'll give Sara what time he can, when he chooses to -- when it doesn't interfere with some other aspect of his life. Watching that episode, I felt like Sara was an imposition...an unwelcome interruption in his life. I had the thought that I wouldn't want him as my boyfriend. And I'm glad Sara walked out on him. Relationships need to be about the integration of two lives, not the dominance of one life over another. I just think that John was being more take than give.

I think that John was being true to his upbringing. Remember he was brought up in the 1600s. He has had lots of experiences in 400 years, and has made changes in his behavior (re: alcolol), but though he can be affectionate, he seems to be extremely selfish (re: his actions with his family when he was the artist, Dutch). He "loves" women, but I think he loves them in their place; he can adapt to associating with them fairly well in a work environment, but he seems much more "old-fashioned" in his private life. What do you all think?

Kay
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
I think that John was being true to his upbringing. Remember he was brought up in the 1600s. He has had lots of experiences in 400 years, and has made changes in his behavior (re: alcolol), but though he can be affectionate, he seems to be extremely selfish (re: his actions with his family when he was the artist, Dutch). He "loves" women, but I think he loves them in their place; he can adapt to associating with them fairly well in a work environment, but he seems much more "old-fashioned" in his private life. What do you all think?

I suppose that in a way, that's what annoys me about him. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the show. But as the series has progressed, I have come to think of John as being something of an antihero. I don't think that I particularly like or admire him. I mean, how reasonable is it to excuse behavior by saying he's being true to his upbringing when he has had 400 years to overcome that upbringing? He's had four centuries to improve himself, to change those less desirable traits, to change his perspective. And women's lib is no new thing, you know? I mean, sure, throughout most of his life, women have had a subordinate position. But in his culture -- New York City -- women have had a more-or-less equal role for a number of decades. Surely long enough for him to acclimate. I dunno...I just feel unsympathetic, I guess. There's something immature about John that annoys me.

But I really do like the show! Ha!
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the show too. Maybe one reason that John holds himself back from full commitment is because he has loved and lost so many times--friends, lovers, wives and children. Also, he has spent much more time in the "Male is superior" mode that in the "Females are equal to Males" one.

Kay
KarenS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nifty, he could have/should have backed up his story with proof by showing her his journals as well as talking with Omar. I've wondered why he hasn't done it. He did it with Omar so why not Sara unless he has a concern that Sara could go to the authorities. He might fear what they might do to him. He could be detained for testing or whatever and could be imprisoned. I guess that's in the back of his head possibly.

In the last show, he was backing off from Sara possibly as a way to protect himself. I think he realizes she may not be the one so he's dealing with it the way he always has. So he goes with what is comfortable for him which is his work. It's his safety net. He's lived 400 years and has had how many relationships? So now, he has to begin the search all over again. You wonder if he's frustrated by starting over again. Either he's a player enjoying the game or he sincerely wants to find her and settle into a normal life. The title of this last episode was Love Hurts which I think is most apropos for John's situation.

If you were him, how would you react? Enjoy the numerous men that would pass through your life or be totally frustrated that one special guy hadn't turned up yet? That's why I think the show is so fascinating. How would any of us react if we were living John's life?
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
If you were him, how would you react? Enjoy the numerous men that would pass through your life or be totally frustrated that one special guy hadn't turned up yet? That's why I think the show is so fascinating. How would any of us react if we were living John's life?

Oh, I don't know. I mean, I do sympathize with him. But yeah...I think I would enjoy the various men that would pass through my life. But that could just be the way my brain works. I tend to believe that everything happens for a reason, and everything happens when it's supposed to happen. Now...would I still feel that way after 400 years? Dunno. But if he takes the approach of sampling a woman until he realizes she's NOT the one, and then he tosses her aside because he's waiting for the REAL one to come along, isn't he just a user? It just doesn't strike me as nice-guy behavior.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: New Amsterdam Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
In the last show, he was backing off from Sara possibly as a way to protect himself. I think he realizes she may not be the one so he's dealing with it the way he always has. So he goes with what is comfortable for him which is his work. It's his safety net. He's lived 400 years and has had how many relationships? So now, he has to begin the search all over again. You wonder if he's frustrated by starting over again. Either he's a player enjoying the game or he sincerely wants to find her and settle into a normal life. The title of this last episode was Love Hurts which I think is most apropos for John's situation.

I think this is the case. John didn't start to back off from Sara until he realized that he hadn't died when the bad guy shot him, so she isn't The One. It wasn't mature of him (and you'd think he'd be plenty mature after 400 years), but he may have done the very human thing of overreacting.

Does anyone know for sure that this series has/has not been renewed for next season? I'll miss the premise of the show, which is quite original, and I'll certainly miss Nikolaj Coster Waldau (sp?) -- he's very easy on the eyes.
KarenS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Amsterdam Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
Does anyone know for sure that this series has/has not been renewed for next season? I'll miss the premise of the show, which is quite original, and I'll certainly miss Nikolaj Coster Waldau (sp?) -- he's very easy on the eyes.

I read somewhere that it might not be renewed. But that might be an error which I hope it is. The comments were made in October during the writer's strike before the show aired. Since it's been receiving high rankings from the public, there might be a chance it will be renewed. At least I'm going to hope that's the case.

Definitely agree with you abut Nikolaj being easy on the eyes. He's a just a very handsome man with great on-screen presence. He has that look that is so attractive and appealing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: