AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the perils of pleasure by julie anne long

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: the perils of pleasure by julie anne long Reply with quote

LOVED it.

rike's review is basically on point, as were her gripes. the editing was sloppy early on and tossed me from the story momentarily but it's a small thing. on the major plus side, this story is not nearly as predictable as i thought. in fact, there were a few times when i was left mouth agape because the author surprised me.

both hero and heroine are extremely likable and you will end up emotionally invested in their welfare. the romance itself is a slow build. it's like watching someone gathering materials to start a fire. the hero didn't walk around aroused through the whole story and there wasn't alot of 'lust thought'. however, watching the evolution from enemies to wary accomplices to friends to lovers to soulmates...what a wonderful journey it was.

not alot of sex in it (and in fact, the first kiss comes late), but the author renders the intimate scenes beautifully and succinctly. i'm normally the reader who likes the steamy stories where the sex comes early and often. however, the interaction between hero and heroine is such that the story never suffers for lack of sex and in fact, their interactions feel more intimate and moving because of the emphasis on dialogue as opposed to just groping each other.

i definitely recommend it to the readers who enjoy a character-driven story with some very engaging dialogue and surprisingly hot (but few) sex scenes.

my blog (do not click if you're easily offended)
georgia_peach

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but how is the tension? Hero-jealousy? These are key! Laughing
nikki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgia_peach wrote:
Yes, but how is the tension? Hero-jealousy? These are key! Laughing

i KNEW you were gonna ask that!

tension is there but very subtle. very little if any hero jealousy because he spends much of the book convinced he's in love with someone else.

my blog (do not click if you're easily offended)
georgia_peach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Laughing Laughing
Elle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Perils of Pleasure Reply with quote

I also LOVED this one!

Great, vividly drawn characters, beautiful prose, fabulous, intelligent dialogue and an unusual set-up--it was right up my alley! Kudos to Julie Anne Long for being able to take a character like Colin (the handsome, reckless, dangerously charming romance rake) and breathe life into him, nimbly avoiding the cliches. And Madeleine was a refreshingly unusual heroine--efficient, pragmatic and enigmatic. The interactions between the two of them were priceless.
msaggie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Very enjoyable indeed Reply with quote

I agree with Nikki and Elle - this is the best Julie Anne Long book I have read - I think actually the only other one I did read was Beauty and the Spy which was a disappointment.

It's a very unusual premise to a story, and in fact, even the execution of the story (pardon the pun, seeing how the hero was about to be hanged in the first chapter) was very unusual. I enjoyed it very much -although I have 2 gripes : firstly, I can't imagine the speed of Colin's conviction (a matter of weeks) - from "crime" to hanging - especially for an aristocrat, with some connections - this is highly unlikely. Even people condemned to die by the monarch are in the Tower of London for months, sometimes years, before their heads are chopped off - as there are appeals, adn wahtnot. Secondly, I agree with Rike that it took too little time for them to realise "this is true love" particularly since Colin is supposed to be in love with someone else until the very end of the book. But I really liked both hero and heroine. What a charmer that Colin is - and the heroine a very good match for him. I wish it was a longer book - say 100 pages more would have developed everything better. But unfortunately, publishers seem to limit authors to 350-odd pages nowadays. I think we readers are losing out on more character and plot development. But overall, a really good read, adn a keeper for me! Am looking forward to the next installment in the Eversea/Redmond stories.
Manda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved it, too, though I've been a fan of JAL's voice since The Runaway Duke. Her prose is just so gorgeous. And I have to say I was not looking forward to this one because I didn't like the idea of Madeline being a mercenary, but JAL proved me wrong. Madeline was an unusual and refreshing heroine and Colin was...sigh, dreamy.
Allyson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished this one--I give it a B+. A book where I truly liked both hero and heroine is always a winner for me, and Colin and Madeleine were both likeable and had enough about them that made them something other than cardboard cutouts that I wasn't predicting their moves before they made them. Colin was great as a charming rogue who wasn't a jerk, but thoughtless at times. And Madeleine is just my kind of heroine--intelligent, resourceful, not at all naive. And her early rejections of Colin made total sense, unlike many books where you want to smack the heroine for flouncing and spitting epithets at the hero for little reason.

I agree with those who said it would have been better had it been longer. The plotting was better than most historical romances-with-intrigue, in that for the most part things made sense, though there were a few oddities. The relationship between the leads was really fun, but I'd have liked to see more depth and more time after they realised they loved each other. It's often difficult to pull off when one of the leads thinks he should be with someone else, and the transition to realising he wanted Madeleine, not Louisa, felt incomplete to me.

I liked all the side characters, but there were a lot of undeveloped side stories here--I wonder if they will be developed in further books?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: