AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distracting the Duchess - Definitely a C+

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlandros

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Distracting the Duchess - Definitely a C+ Reply with quote

Too bad I bought this book on Ellen's B+, if I would have read Rike's review first, I wouldn't have bothered to buy it. Don't get me wrong, the book was fun and sexy but it had some serious, serious faults that Ellen didn't mention in her review.

I understand that people have their tastes but when an author gets the titles wrong - and even makes a few plot devices with her mistakes - I think the reviewer should mention that. After all, some readers get turn off by that (I'm one of them and it really distracts me.) The book also tried to be funny and serious and as you can imagine, it didn't make the cut. Not only was the heroine a gifted artist, a cunning businessman, and a rich duchess but also she's hot too boot! She didn't seem a real person at all - and seemed to changed her mind very quickly - in one moment, she says she loves her widowhood and don't want to EVER get married and in the next, she agrees to marry the hero!

I think the book would have been better if they would have cut a dozen of the plots (which were too many.)
Heather K

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Distracting the Duchess - Definitely a C+ Reply with quote

dlandros wrote:
Too bad I bought this book on Ellen's B+, if I would have read Rike's review first, I wouldn't have bothered to buy it. Don't get me wrong, the book was fun and sexy but it had some serious, serious faults that Ellen didn't mention in her review.

I agree. It wasn't terrible and it was a quick read but it just wasn't great. I found the timing of the love scenes annoying. Just as the suspense plot is ramping up the couple finds time to spend an afternoon in bed. This is a pet peve of mine and I find myself skimming the love scenes in this situation. I'm just a little grumpy that I spent money on this book Confused .

Heather
dlandros

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Distracting the Duchess - Definitely a C+ Reply with quote

Heather K wrote:

I found the timing of the love scenes annoying. Just as the suspense plot is ramping up the couple finds time to spend an afternoon in bed. This is a pet peve of mine and I find myself skimming the love scenes in this situation.
Heather

Oh.My.Gosh! Wasn't that ridiculous?!? Yes, let's romp in bed instead of planning our next move! And why, oh, why didn't Trev suggest she wear man clothes for their adventure? I guess it was so she could end straggling his shoulders and he could make salacious comments. I also hate that she insisted on going to the Embassador's house and he agreed! I mean, she was of little help and he got in trouble because of her. For once, I would like to find a heroine that knows the things she can and can't do.
msaggie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Distracting the Duchess - Definitely a C+ Reply with quote

dlandros wrote:
Heather K wrote:

I found the timing of the love scenes annoying. Just as the suspense plot is ramping up the couple finds time to spend an afternoon in bed. This is a pet peve of mine and I find myself skimming the love scenes in this situation.
Heather

Oh.My.Gosh! Wasn't that ridiculous?!? Yes, let's romp in bed instead of planning our next move! And why, oh, why didn't Trev suggest she wear man clothes for their adventure? I guess it was so she could end straggling his shoulders and he could make salacious comments. I also hate that she insisted on going to the Embassador's house and he agreed! I mean, she was of little help and he got in trouble because of her. For once, I would like to find a heroine that knows the things she can and can't do.
I totally agree with both dlandros and Heather K's comments. It really was like a Carry On movie. And I can't understand why she didn't paint that cherubic blonde guy as Eros after all - if she really was a dedicated artist and had already planned the Eros painting, the Mars painting was just an extra, and I think this was the initial premise of the story. The whole plot was really quite farcical - down to the hero's various ridiculous disguises. And I would have thought any previous player of the Great Game who became senile and wandered about spouting old rhyming passwords, etc, posed a threat to "national security", and would have been "neutralised" by the powers-that-be. (In fact, they might have done it themselves, or instructed their fellow-player to do so for King and Country)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: