AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Amsterdam New Fall 2007 TV show
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarenS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
KarenS wrote:
This guy is serious fantasy material.

He's my vote for Jamie Fraser. *sigh* I can't watch this series now without thinking of him as Jamie.

But Karen, I have noticed what you mentioned. In his interactions with women, you get a sense that he generally likes women, and that's engaging. He's not a full, obnoxious come-on, but that general liking he seems to portray is very appealing.

Jamie, yes, by all means! He would make a perfect Jamie.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
Niftybergin wrote:
KarenS wrote:
This guy is serious fantasy material.

He's my vote for Jamie Fraser. *sigh* I can't watch this series now without thinking of him as Jamie.

But Karen, I have noticed what you mentioned. In his interactions with women, you get a sense that he generally likes women, and that's engaging. He's not a full, obnoxious come-on, but that general liking he seems to portray is very appealing.

Jamie, yes, by all means! He would make a perfect Jamie.

With hair and makeup and costume, and bulked up just ever so slightly (especially in the arms and shoulders). I was discussing this a few days ago over on CompuServe in one of the "movie" threads on Diana's board. I mentioned that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (or whatever his name is) and said he'd need to bulk up, and Diana piped in that Jamie was not bulky, which of course I understand. I posted a pic of Mr. C-W with no shirt on -- the swimming pool scene from the first episode -- and DG agreed that yes, maybe a bit more definition in his muscles. Not BULKY, but a bit more heft.

But yeah, I think he'd make a good Jamie. Except he's 38. Not sure he could play a 23-year-old. But an older Jamie? Oh, yeah.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm a little annoyed that they made the doctor married and then allowed her and John to hook up anyway. I know she's separated, and that certainly helps. But I sort of wonder what was the point of her being married if she's going to conveniently be separated and have an affair with John? Why not just make her available to start with.

I thought it was ironic because the show was about honor. He talks about how there's no honor left in the world anymore...that now the only honor is the one that's given as an excuse when you kill people for offending you "honor." But when he finds out that the doctor is married, he takes an "I don't care; that's only a minor obstacle" approach...which doesn't seem very honorable to me. And while, yes, she's separated, she's not really FREE. She's still somebody else's wife.

It bugged me. Not enough to make me stop watching, but it bugged me.
KarenS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed it last night but hope to watch it later this evening. DH purchased it through ITunes so we'll see it later. My first inclination is the doctor's husband is going to be murdered making John the main suspect which is why she is married.
KarenS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
Okay, I'm a little annoyed that they made the doctor married and then allowed her and John to hook up anyway. I know she's separated, and that certainly helps. But I sort of wonder what was the point of her being married if she's going to conveniently be separated and have an affair with John? Why not just make her available to start with.

I thought it was ironic because the show was about honor. He talks about how there's no honor left in the world anymore...that now the only honor is the one that's given as an excuse when you kill people for offending you "honor." But when he finds out that the doctor is married, he takes an "I don't care; that's only a minor obstacle" approach...which doesn't seem very honorable to me. And while, yes, she's separated, she's not really FREE. She's still somebody else's wife.

It bugged me. Not enough to make me stop watching, but it bugged me.

I got the impression the doctor has a very cavalier attitude about marriage by what she said and the fact she made the first move kissing John first. She's certainly seems interested in John or either she's responding to him because she knows he's interested in her. We'll have to watch to find out the exact dynamics in her marriage. Maybe her husband is a serial cheater or something or she needs to hook up with John to prove to herself she's still desirable. There is a lot of unknowns that hopefully will be answered in upcoming episodes.

If her husband is murdered, John could become a suspect or even she could become a suspect. So we will have to see how that unfolds.

I like the parallel stories in his past life to the present one. He shoots his boss in 1813 as the boss is raping his servants and someone has to stand up for the women of the house. He knows that Frannie (sp) is not the one for him even though she was saving herself for him. It seems he felt remorse over not being able to do more for her.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems he felt remorse over not being able to do more for her.

Well, that AND I think that early on, when he first learned of the rape, he blamed the victim a bit. There was something he said, I don't remember what, that suggested that he blamed her in some way for the rape. Not that he stuck with that attitude. I think it changed at the servants' meal when he saw the boss focus on the 13-year-old girl.
KarenS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to next week's episode.

John had an attitude adjustment by seeing how the boss felt towards his serving women.
KarenS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My paper had an article about the show today. It was fairly interesting and informative. John's past occupations include being a tinker, tailor and forger so we can see him pursuing these fields in flash backs. So far, he's been a Civil War physician, a coachman and a furniture maker which have tied in nicely to the present story. The article says he looks like Viggo Mortensen and Denis Leary and that he's definitely leading man material.

FWIW, he's married with two daughters, wife's an actress and he's 37.

Hopefully, the show will be renewed.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched tonight's episode. I can't wait to see how Sarah redeems herself, or if she does.

I also hope that this series is renewed.

Kay
KarenS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sara wants to know more about John and you can see his hesitancy about telling her of his past. At the end when he revealed something about himself, she basically blew him off when he tells her he's 400 years old. From her point of view he was being flippant and she wanted more from him when he was actually telling her his biggest secret. She wanted to hear something plausible like he's an undercover cop since she couldn't find anything about him on the Internet. At least he's being honest with her and not telling her something that isn't true. I guess the test will be whether she can accept his immortality.

The journals are interesting. Maybe he will give them to Sara to read. I thought it was neat how he sat with his son and explained his past to him. His son is most accepting but of course, he's had 40 years or more to get used to the idea of having an immortal father. Maybe he will do the same with Sara.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
Sara wants to know more about John and you can see his hesitancy about telling her of his past. At the end when he revealed something about himself, she basically blew him off when he tells her he's 400 years old.

You know, something I was struck by last night as I was watching was that I don't think Sara and John have much chemistry together. Maybe it's not the characters (Sara and John). Maybe it's the actors. But they just seem flat to me when they're together. We're supposed to buy into the idea that it's this great love, but I just don't get any sparks.

Loved the bit about the notebooks and a young Omar.

Totally didn't get the bit with the new sargeant and John's partner.
KarenS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
KarenS wrote:
Sara wants to know more about John and you can see his hesitancy about telling her of his past. At the end when he revealed something about himself, she basically blew him off when he tells her he's 400 years old.

You know, something I was struck by last night as I was watching was that I don't think Sara and John have much chemistry together. Maybe it's not the characters (Sara and John). Maybe it's the actors. But they just seem flat to me when they're together. We're supposed to buy into the idea that it's this great love, but I just don't get any sparks.

Loved the bit about the notebooks and a young Omar.

Totally didn't get the bit with the new sargeant and John's partner.

I am seeing tentativeness in their relationship. John might be a little awe struck by Sara since he thinks she might be the one. So I can see where he doesn't quite know how to proceed. Sara seems also cautious and I am assuming she's not certain what she's doing. She's married after all and may be wondering why she's involved with John. Sara sure didn't like John's comment about her grandparent's at all. It seem to strike a nerve (gee, I wonder why) and I thought her response to him at that point changed.

The new sergeant is a new twist to the story. Did you think she was coming on to Eve or is she just trying to be friendly?

Next week's preview--did you hear that one of the gang kid's might be one of John's children? I thought I heard something like that.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
Next week's preview--did you hear that one of the gang kid's might be one of John's children? I thought I heard something like that.

They have had that scene on previously. Yes, there is an indication that the dead young man is John's child. However, it could be a teaser, and the boy could be a child "of his heart" rather than a biological one. I guess we'll have to tune in next week, huh?

Kay
KarenS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Family was the theme for this week's show. We met John's early 1900s family and then we met the 21st century off-shoot of that family. John felt responsible for his family feeling they were the way they were as a result of his actions.

I never quite got the feeling his wife Samantha was aware of his immortality even though she alluded to his youthful looks. It's also interesting that eventually he had to leave his families once the age disparities set in. Samantha was most likely in her 50s so she left him. It was poignant that Omar asked him why he didn't try to find them and lost track of them. I thought he felt this branch would have turned out better if he had kept in touch which seemed to be the point of the story.

His comments on art and music were appropriate.
KarenS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's episode gives us history as to why John becomes a police officer. He joined the forced in the spring of 2002 motivated by 9/11. He's angry over the attack on his city(I would be too if I were the oldest resident) so he wants to make a difference. I would like to have known his previous occupation but it's not given. Flashbacks are of when he joins the force and his relationship of his first partner who seeks his help in solving a crime.

Sara's mails her divorce papers off at the end of the show just before John gets shot. Last week's show we learn that her husband was cheating on her by never being home while he putting his girl friend through school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: