AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sandra Brown's "Play Dirty"--loved it...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dipperdocus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh...so.

The hand is lightly touching the small of a woman's back, tracing the curves...I never even noticed the picture underneath. I'm not sure if that makes me a one-dimensional person or not. Sad

Anyway, I'm almost done with Karen Rose's Die For Me and much as I enjoyed Play Dirty, it was SO good to get back into a romantic suspense with a real romance running through it to read.
Lindareads

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Another Positive Recommendation For Play Dirty Reply with quote

I just finished Play Dirty last night and had to post about how much I enjoyed it. To this point, Mercy was my favorite book by Sandra Brown, but now I'd have to say that Play Dirty is tied with Mercy. It was a very interesting storyline, and I really had a hard time putting the book down.

Linda
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Positive Recommendation For Play Dirty Reply with quote

Lindareads wrote:
I just finished Play Dirty last night and had to post about how much I enjoyed it. [....] It was a very interesting storyline, and I really had a hard time putting the book down.

It was a rather unique story, for sure, Linda; and I enjoyed it for that too. Brown did a good job with it. Thanks for posting your reactions.
KarenS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
Not working today and I'm salivating over the fact that I get to start this book.

But before I proceed, I have to ask what the heck is the deal with the cover? What body part is that hairy male hand pressing on? At first I thought it was the top of a thigh and tummy but the proportions don't look right. Any theories? I hope it's not so obvious that I'll be embarrassed that I didn't see it.

And please forgive me, but I can't leave this alone either. How many times do you think Sandra Brown has gone under the plastic surgeon's knife? Her face is getting close to that Joan Rivers porcelain look. She still looks great (love the hair!), but is it photoshop or is it real?

Another poster mentioned a woman's back and I agree that is where this man's hand is touching. Is the front white cover suppose to be a see-through? Because if it is, someone from my Library placed a white sheet between the original cover and the plastic cover and you can't see the hard back cover!

As to Sandra Brown's picture, she looks a lot like Raquel Welch in this photograph. She's always been stunningly beautiful to me even when she's been photographed with bad hair. This picture has a nice hair style for her but I saw a few where she looked like she was having a super bad hair day.

As to play dirty I am looking forward to starting the book. I checked it out of the Library due to this discussion. I really hope it's a good one as I truly do miss Sandra Brown's unique voice....and I hope she's recovered it.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
I really hope it's a good one as I truly do miss Sandra Brown's unique voice....and I hope she's recovered it.

When you finish it, KarenS, let us know your thoughts, whatever they are. Here's hoping it will be a good read for you, since you've read Brown before and enjoyed her.
Lindareads

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Sandra Brown's Play Dirty, and older books Reply with quote

I am so pleased to be able to again find some books that are "good enough to keep me up all night reading." Play Dirty was one of these books. And even better is still enjoying books by an author that I read in the early 80's and still read today.

There was a time when I didn't really enjoy some of Ms Brown's books but I'm glad I kept trying them anyway. I would say that I have recommended her last half dozen books to other readers and some were in Keeper territory.

Linda
Keishon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Enjoyed Play Dirty Reply with quote

I enjoyed Play Dirty by Sandra Brown as well. I just really enjoy her romantic suspense novels. I was immediately drawn to this story, ex-football player who has fallen from grace, with no prospects, who gets offered an indecent proposal? I read it in like one or two sittings. Look forward to her next book. Brown is still on top of her game, writing wise, I just wish she's incorporate a really strong romance in her stories.
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keishon--I haven't seen your name around here in ages, it seems. Good to hear from you. Brown really did do an excellent job with the story idea of this one. She's been needing a good one for a while, I think, since some of her latest ones were just so-so.

But seeing your name conjured up another author that I believe you turned me on to and that's Karin Slaughter. Author's license and all of that other stuff, but I was totally unprepared for that ending in Beyond Reach. Maybe if she dealt that blow in the middle of the book and then shown how everyone was trying to deal with it during the rest of it, it may have worked better for me. I don't mind surprise endings, but this one was like a karate chop to the head.
Keishon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
But seeing your name conjured up another author that I believe you turned me on to and that's Karin Slaughter. Author's license and all of that other stuff, but I was totally unprepared for that ending in Beyond Reach. Maybe if she dealt that blow in the middle of the book and then shown how everyone was trying to deal with it during the rest of it, it may have worked better for me. I don't mind surprise endings, but this one was like a karate chop to the head.

Sorry about that! LOL. I really felt guilty about raving about her books all over the Internet only to have her do this to her fans! Do I regret that I read Karen Slaughter? Yes. I hate what she did but will have to accept it. Another author that I loved just as much is Julia Spencer-Fleming. At least in her series, when she had to kill off a character, she killed off the right character Very Happy I' rec'd her series ot you Tee, the first book is In the Bleak Midwinter.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keishon wrote:
Sorry about that! LOL. I really felt guilty about raving about her books all over the Internet only to have her do this to her fans!

Nope, don't be sorry about recommending Slaughter. She's a fantastic author. I disagree with this particular one, but I'll try her again. We'll see. I dislike philandering husbands, too; but Jeffrey was pretty special as he continued to redeem himself.
Diana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Enjoyed Play Dirty Reply with quote

Keishon wrote:
I enjoyed Play Dirty by Sandra Brown as well. I just really enjoy her romantic suspense novels. I was immediately drawn to this story, ex-football player who has fallen from grace, with no prospects, who gets offered an indecent proposal? I read it in like one or two sittings. Look forward to her next book. Brown is still on top of her game, writing wise, I just wish she's incorporate a really strong romance in her stories.

Hey Keishon. Belated thanks for your rec. I really enjoyed Play Dirty and her last one Ricochet as well. I like the way Brown has merged her romance roots with straight suspense. She didn't sugarcoat her hero here and he wasn't easy to like -- he didn't cheat but he did take the money; that would be risky for a romance writer. I love Envy as well -- everything about it -- and the audio version is wonderful. Victor Slezak just nailed the character of bitter but incredibly hot southern writer Parker Evans. I'm sorely tempted to get the audio of Play Dirty as well. My relatively new taste for audio is hard on the wallet since I'm buying the book twice. Ow.
KarenS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to add my thumbs up to this one too! Really enjoyed the story and the characters that Brown created so vividly. It was really a page-turner for me wanting to read what was happening to Griff. From the moment he's released to the ending of the story, I felt sympathetic to him as I learned more about him. Brown carefully revealed his life to us and I felt he was worth getting to know. Everything was revealed at the appropriate time so I thought it was easy to digest the story. There were a few things that were huh(?) but not so unbelievable that I couldn't accept the story. I kept wondering why Rodarte was almost OCD over Griff which was a kink in the story until we're given the explanation and then it made perfect sense. Seems like a lot of OCD was going on in this one.

I also wonder how many athletes have complicated lives like Griff? Do any of them have normal childhoods or does sports serve as a means to providing normalcy to their lives? I am thinking of SEP's Chicago Stars series where her heroes had difficult childhoods.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
Brown carefully revealed his life to us and I felt he was worth getting to know. Everything was revealed at the appropriate time so I thought it was easy to digest the story. There were a few things that were huh(?) but not so unbelievable that I couldn't accept the story.

Yes, Karon, I think that was key to how this story went over as well as it did. Brown did unfold him slowly and you felt his frustrations and whatever else he was experiencing from one activity to another. I mentioned it before, but I truly believe it, and that is the subtle humor that Brown injected into this novel. She doesn't normally do that and I was surprised how well it worked for her here. Thanks for letting us know your thoughts.
KarenS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Sandra Brown writing suspense these days, I assume the pressure is off to write perfect characters. In a romance, this plot would never fly but as suspense it makes one heck of an interesting story. With Griff's screw ups and mistakes, he most likely would never be accepted as a hero in a romance. Yet in this story, he comes across as a guy who is redeemable. Not perfect but human. And someone who is determined to make a better life for himself. He's learned through the school of hard knocks that mistakes have consequences. That's what I liked about the story....there was hope for Griff making a better life for himself and a future with Laura.

Ditto on the humor as well!
Lindareads

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Play Dirty by Sandra Brown Reply with quote

Thanks Diana for bringing up audio books. Looks like I may have to dig deep in my pockets for some extra money. I have only listened to one audio book, and it was bought at a library book sale. I didn't really like it so I never tried another. Since Envy (and now Play Dirty) was such a special book, and my DH loved it too, I may have to buy the audio version. And especially since it's been recomended by someone who also liked Envy and Play Dirty. I'm going to check our local library system and see what they might have available.

Nice to hear from you again Keishon! I've missed your posts.

Linda A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: