AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Other Side of Us
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leigh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Other Side of Us Reply with quote

I know that many readers discount series books, thinking that they have very little to do with real life, with their princes and billionaires. Do not discount Sarah Mayberry and especially this book. Many books that I read have are filled with lust and longing, but have very little to do with love and caring but that is not the case with The Other Side of Us.

Mackenzie Williams has been on long term disability for almost a year. While driving to a location shoot for her serial drama, Time and Again, she hit a rock landside and her car flipped down a mountain side, resulting in traumatic injuries with her having a fractured skull, broken pelvis, hip, leg, ribs, arm along with a torn liver and lost spleen. While she was at the top of the game before she left, she has since been replaced, and the new producer is doing an excellent job. Now her e-mails to her boss are ignored, and her reputation and years of work are vanishing. In this business you are only famous as long as you are in the game. She is determined to come back as strong as she was before. But bending her broken body to her will is not a simple matter. No matter how hard she pushes to regain her strength, her body rebels with weakness and excruciating pain. But Mackenzie can’t accept that she won’t have the life back that she loved.

Oliver Barrett life has been turned up-sided down after he discovers that his wife has been having affair for almost six years – the length of their marriage. He can’t quit thinking of what a fool he was to not see it. How could he miss something like that? Not only does he have to deal with the anger and grief, he is humiliated that he deceived for so long.

Neither individual really wants to be around company now, but their two companions – Oliver’s Strudel, a miniature schnauzer and Mr. Smith, Mackenzie’s dachshund have different ideas. And even the fence between the property can’t keep them apart.

Many authors can set up unique scenarios but the follow through is lacking with inherent problems either being glossed over or disregarded. But that is not the case here. Mackenzie attitude toward her recovery is compelling and realistic. How many people want to accept new physical limitations? We are taught that if we only work hard enough, and have enough determination, we can achieve anything. Work through the pain or no pain no gain. However, Mackenzie is faced with the prospect of either accepting who she is now or living with relentless discomfort, nausea, and weakness. Every time she pushes herself, she takes one step forward and two steps back. Oliver believes that he is recovering from his betrayal but how would he react if he push came to shove? Can he believe that a scenario is innocent or will his history tell him otherwise? How long before he can truly trust another person?

Oliver and Mackenzie are two unlikely candidates for a new romance. I will admit that I am one of those individuals that believe that a person needs to be happy with herself and also recovered from a break-up before embarking on a new love affair. However, Ms. Mayberry weaves a credible and authentic story of two individuals coming to grip with their demons with the help of the other.

I read a lot of romances but very few incorporate the “in sickness and in health” aspect of it. I love the thoughtfulness and compassion that Oliver shows Mackenzie. In fact that aspect elevated the book beyond really liking to an outstanding read.

As a dog lover, of course I found the plot involving the dogs charming.

I read some other reviews, where the individuals said the book was slow. But the true portray of emotion and the caring elevated this book for me. Even before this book, Ms. Mayberry had earned a spot on my auto buy list. But this book really touched me. This is one book you don’t want to miss.
goldberry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gobble up Sarah Mayberry's books as soon as they are released, but the dog lover in me really loved this one. Especially at the very end!
Kayne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Other Side of Us Reply with quote

I had a hard time putting this book down and then I didn't want it to end. I wanted to follow this couple into their future. I found myself wondering if they were still young enough to have children but that is one thing that was never mentioned. Nice story.
Leigh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Other Side of Us Reply with quote

Kayne wrote:
I had a hard time putting this book down and then I didn't want it to end. I wanted to follow this couple into their future. I found myself wondering if they were still young enough to have children but that is one thing that was never mentioned. Nice story.

I wondered that too- but then I had to remind myself that not all couples want kids.
JMM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Mayberry. I liked that the book didn't end with kids.

What I could have done without was the sledgehammer to the head message about the unhappiness of ambitious women. The book came off (to me) as a long lecture about the evils of liking money, a nice job, a fancy apartment, and a good car.
dick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"ve thought Mayberry's books prior to this one mostly enjoyable reads. But with this one, I'm stalled on page 160, finding it more boring than anything else. When the protagonists labelled their actions and reactions juvenile, I agreed.
dorothy99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this tip..... I have been snapping up Sarah Mayberry's backlist. So far I have found them hit or miss.....but I loved, loved, loved "Her Best Worst Mistake" so much that I will continue to give her a lot of leeway.
SaltyGirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this book! Does anyone else wish Sarah Mayberry would move out of Harlequin and into full-length novels? Even the "super romance" length doesn't have enough length for her. I would love to see this woman stretch her wings.
Leigh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaltyGirl wrote:
I loved this book! Does anyone else wish Sarah Mayberry would move out of Harlequin and into full-length novels? Even the "super romance" length doesn't have enough length for her. I would love to see this woman stretch her wings.

Yes and No. I really enjoy her books and of course probably would enjoy longer books too, but I really liked Molly O'Keefe books in Superromance. Now she is with a different publisher and wow what a difference. Her books tended to have some angst but now the characters are completely unbelievable. Men who are so tortured that they won't let women in their house - they have sex in the truck.

So if this what happens then it is a big NO.
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a post at Heroes and Heartbreakers, I found out this book is free on Kindle and Nook, now.

If you haven't tried Sarah Mayberry, this is a great way to be introduced to her work.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Leigh, for the tip on this book. I've never read Sarah Mayberry and decided to try her and especially with this title. The Other Side of Us is, so far, an extremely well written story. If this is the way she writes, I'm sure this won't be the last book I'll read by her. Not finished with it yet, but it's definitely holding my attention.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Thanks, Leigh, for the tip on this book. I've never read Sarah Mayberry and decided to try her and especially with this title. The Other Side of Us is, so far, an extremely well written story. If this is the way she writes, I'm sure this won't be the last book I'll read by her. Not finished with it yet, but it's definitely holding my attention.

I have been on SUCH a Sarah Mayberry kick lately. I think I read about 5 or 6 books of hers in a row and loved 'em every one - until the last book I read - Cruise Control - where I had strong issues with the heroine. But up until that one book, I loved them all. She's a wonderful author for me and can really pack a wallop of emotion in a shorter category sized book.
Leigh

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
Tee wrote:

I have been on SUCH a Sarah Mayberry kick lately. I think I read about 5 or 6 books of hers in a row and loved 'em every one - until the last book I read - Cruise Control - where I had strong issues with the heroine. But up until that one book, I loved them all. She's a wonderful author for me and can really pack a wallop of emotion in a shorter category sized book.

Like with any author there are a few books that I love, more that I like and a few that just didn't do it for me. I tend to like character driven stories, so I haven't read any of her Blaze book or maybe it is Temptation? And she had two connecting books about brothers that returned home after their abusive father died - I had some issues with the second brother's book. I never read the first one. But except for that one I think I have read all her Superromance.
Leigh

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

I am glad that you are enjoying it. (Hopefully making up for steering you wrong on the Kinsella<g>)
JaneO

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had often seen Sarah Mayberry recommended, so I tried this one, since it was free. She is deserving of all the praise I've heard. The characterization is excellent and the story makes sense. Unlike JMM, I didn't think this was a lecture about "the unhappiness of ambitious women." Her problem was that she was too invested in the wrong career.

One thing that did strike me was the age of the characters. People are always talking about how they want older heroes and heroines. Well, these two are 39, which qualifies them. The problem is that I would never have guessed their ages if the author hadn't told me. My guess would have been at least ten years younger, and that old would have been only because they had significant employment histories. Mentally and emotionally they seemed younger. And is it forbidden to mention that when you're pushing 40, things start to sag a bit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: