AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suspense | Mystery Books Discussion II...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
Have you tried Leslie Tentler or Frozen by Kate Waterson? Or Melinda Leigh's books? They are all good, if not brilliant, new RS.

I've read Leslie Tentler at your suggestion and liked what I read. Have not heard of Kate Waterson or Melinda Leigh, but I'll check my library's index to see if they carry any of their books. Thanks.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
maggie b. wrote:
Have you tried Leslie Tentler or Frozen by Kate Waterson? Or Melinda Leigh's books? They are all good, if not brilliant, new RS.

I've read Leslie Tentler at your suggestion and liked what I read. Have not heard of Kate Waterson or Melinda Leigh, but I'll check my library's index to see if they carry any of their books. Thanks.

Frozen is Waterson's only RS. Her other books are erotica, just fyi.

maggie b.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to put Frozen on reserve, but they don't carry Melinda Leigh's stuff. Anxious to read it; it's very, very dry here these days. I've got about 5 Sarah Mayberry books waiting to be read due to all the great recommendations she's been given on these boards; but I have not opened one of them yet. No motivation.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
I was able to put Frozen on reserve, but they don't carry Melinda Leigh's stuff. Anxious to read it; it's very, very dry here these days. I've got about 5 Sarah Mayberry books waiting to be read due to all the great recommendations she's been given on these boards; but I have not opened one of them yet. No motivation.

I got Melinda Leigh's books via kindle. Way cheaper than buying the paperbacks. Have you tried interlibrary loan? That is one way I have gotten books not readily available at my library.

Maggie

Last edited by Maggie AAR on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
Have you tried interlibrary loan? That is one way I have gotten books not readily available at my library.

I keep forgetting about that. Thanks for reminding me.
dick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Scorched" by Laura Griffin, although an OK read, is most notable in my mind because the author manages to incorporate so many of the standards of romantic suspense--a Seal hero, a forensic archaeologist heroine, a female FBI agent, a romance of reconciliation, a hero and heroine running from the law, a terrorist threat. That's pretty impressive, especially when they're included in a book that's worth reading.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Laura Griffin's writing, but was a bit disappointed with Scorched, from what I can recall. I'll continue to get her books, though. I think there was a secondary relationship in this one that looked promising, along with maybe an interesting story to match. She usually has the right blend of action along with relationships to keep things interesting.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan Elia Macneal

I decided to dip my toes in the mystery genre and picked of this book because 2 of my favorite books of 2012 were set in World War II. I'm glad I did.
Maggie Hope is a brilliant woman who was set to begin graduate work at MIT. However, her British grandmother dies leaving her a house in London and her aunt ( who raised her) forces her to put off her education for a year to deal with the sale of the house. While in London, Maggie settles in and makes friends. When the war breaks out she decides to stay and help the war effort in anyway she can.
Although turned down for a private secretary position to Churchill (while she is the best candidate for the position as she excells at math, cryptology, code breaking, she feels she is passed over because she is a woman). She is later offered a position as a typist for Churchill.

The mystery and intrigue involve Maggie's family and friends. I don't want to spoil the story, but it was well plotted and Maggie is a wonderful heroine.

There is a second book which I will likely read.

[/b]
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwm in mi wrote:

I decided to dip my toes in the mystery genre and picked of this book because 2 of my favorite books of 2012 were set in World War II. I'm glad I did.

This is on my TBR. Thanks for the write up, it makes me long to jump in and read it! I am wondering what the two books are that you read last year? I am always on the look out for a good WWII book.

maggie b.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwm in mi wrote:

I decided to dip my toes in the mystery genre and picked of this book because 2 of my favorite books of 2012 were set in World War II. I'm glad I did. [/b]

I read the two books in the series this summer and quite enjoyed them. They're not without flaws, but I like the time period, and will pick up the third.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwm in mi wrote:

There is a second book which I will likely read.

[/b]

If you've watched Alias or Foyle's War you'll recognize the two major subplots in the second book. I was very disappointed to see MacNeal cribbing plots already.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
pwm in mi wrote:

This is on my TBR. Thanks for the write up, it makes me long to jump in and read it! I am wondering what the two books are that you read last year? I am always on the look out for a good WWII book.

maggie b.

His Very Own Girl by Carrie Lofty and Code Named Verity by Elizabeth Wein

I have another World War II book on my TBR pile that I've heard wonderful things about : Bronze Horseman by Paulina Simons.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="pwm in mi"

I have another World War II book on my TBR pile that I've heard wonderful things about : Bronze Horseman by Paulina Simons.[/quote]

I loved Code Name Verity. Quite a lot of twists and turns, although a touch of a sad ending. I have His Very Own Girl on my Kindle but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Brozne Horseman was not a winner for me but I know lots and lots of people love it.

Have you tried The Girl is Murder and The Girl is Trouble by Kathryn Miller Haines? I really enjoyed those.

maggie b.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
[quote="pwm in mi"

I have another World War II book on my TBR pile that I've heard wonderful things about : Bronze Horseman by Paulina Simons.

I loved Code Name Verity. Quite a lot of twists and turns, although a touch of a sad ending. I have His Very Own Girl on my Kindle but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Brozne Horseman was not a winner for me but I know lots and lots of people love it.

Have you tried The Girl is Murder and The Girl is Trouble by Kathryn Miller Haines? I really enjoyed those.

maggie b.[/quote]

Thanks for the rec, I will check them out.
I was browsing goodreads and came across The Lost Wife by Alysion Richman. Put it on my TBR list. Here a link:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11010251-the-lost-wife

I also found this list of WWII recs:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/14683.Amazing_WWII_fiction_some_with_romance_#11010251
Eggletina

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that second list, I really liked Guernsey and The Invisible Bridge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: