AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Romances Where the Hero is a Drummer in a Rock Band?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
southplains

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Romances Where the Hero is a Drummer in a Rock Band? Reply with quote

Okay, here's the deal. Very Happy I've been reading romances for over 20 years. It just so happens that I've also been married for many years to a drummer in a rock band. One might think that it would have registered on me that there are lots of romances out there where the heroes are members of a rock band, but no, such a premise never even crossed my mind. Very recently I stumbled across such a novel, and it was as if the Age of Enlightenment had suddenly dawned. Rock musicians and romance---what a great idea! I have no idea why I've never come across this type of book before.

Anyway, I've been hunting for some good stories centering on the whole rock band/romance thing. Anybody have any favorites? I would be interested in any recommendations, but particularly those for rock drummers.

Thanks in advance!
Lynda X

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hero's not the drummer, but the lead singer in a band, IIRC. I LOVED Tom and Sharon Curtis OLD romance, THE GOLDEN TOUCH. You can get used copies for under $2 at Amazon which describes the book as

"Hired to repair an instrument for legendary musician Neil Stratton, Kathy Carter, still licking her wounds after her beloved husband's tragic death, is determined to turn away from the chance for happiness that Neil offers her."

The Curtises do the good girl with the wild boy (motor cycles and black leather, oh my!) very well, and I remember thinking that this book rang true when I read (and reread) it.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked for these type of books myself since rock is my favorite genre of popular music. But alas, there aren't as many out there as there are books that center on country music performers. (Perhaps that's a result of where many romance authors come from, themselves, and the fact that rock has been viewed as much less family friendly than country. You know, the old, "sex, drugs, and rock n' roll" mindset. I know rock is much less on the public airwaves than it used to be, which I mourn.) In any event, I do know of a few books that feature rock artists (although I don't remember any drummers) and there are even a couple in my TBR pile. When I get home from work, I'll post what I have, unless someone beats me to it.

I'll be very interested in what others recommend.
Manda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, there's WHAT THE LIBRARIAN DID by Karina Bliss. It's a category but don't let than turn you away. It's great.

Also there's a series of erotic romances from Olivia Cunning about a band, but I haven't read them so I can't vouch for quality. ROCK HARD is the first one.

Also Elyssa Patrick has a rock star book called As You Wish. Not sure if it's available as a print book though.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now that I'm home this is what I can come up with. (Sorry that none of these involves drummers and, in some cases, the rocker is the heroine. Or, the hero or heroine is actually a pop star rather than rocker.)

These I've read and can recommend:
Moments in Time by Mariah Stewart - Hero is a rocker, and the story is a look back at his rocky -- ha, ha -- marriage with the heroine.
Just Desserts by Barbara Bretton - Heroine is the adult daughter of an old school rocker. (Think adult daughter of Mick Jagger or similar.) She didn't know she was his daughter.
Grace Grows by Shelle Sumners - You've probably heard about this book. Hero is not a rocker per se, but I would say he's a folk or alt-rocker.
American Diva by Julia London - If my memory serves, the heroine is a pop star.

These I haven't read:
Fitzwilliam Darcy: Rock Star by Heather Lynn Rigaud -- I kid you not. The blurb reads: A modern Pride & Prejudice that will rock your world. Apparently, Darcy is a rock guitarist and Elizabeth is in a girl band.
Sisters by Lisa Gregory - I believe the heroine and her sisters were in an old school girl group from the 1960's.

As you can see, none of them really fit the bill.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manda wrote:
Also there's a series of erotic romances from Olivia Cunning about a band, but I haven't read them so I can't vouch for quality. ROCK HARD is the first one.

And the drummer, Eric Sticks, does get his own story later this year in 'Snared' which is a tentative title.

http://oliviacunning.com/comingsoon.html

She also has a serial out and the very first book features Gabe, a drummer, the title is Try Me. The thing with these books, they end abruptly only to be continued on in the next book. When I read the first one I thought something was wrong with my ebook because it stopped just right in the middle of a scene.

http://oliviacunning.com/books/try-me.html

Linda
Yulie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
These I haven't read:
Fitzwilliam Darcy: Rock Star by Heather Lynn Rigaud -- I kid you not. The blurb reads: A modern Pride & Prejudice that will rock your world. Apparently, Darcy is a rock guitarist and Elizabeth is in a girl band.

If I ever had any interest in reading that, this review would have ended it.

Manda wrote:
Off the top of my head, there's WHAT THE LIBRARIAN DID by Karina Bliss. It's a category but don't let than turn you away. It's great.

This is the only one I could think of. I don't think the hero was a drummer, and he's not really with the band anymore, but that's the closest to what the OP asked for that I've read.

There's also the secondary romance in SEP's Natural Born Charmer (review here).
Minerva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of a few:

Till We Meet Again - Kathleen Gilles Seidel
Hero starts up a band in college with heroine's brother. This is women's fiction with lots of ups and downs until the hea.

Cool Shade - Theresa Weir
Hero left his music career and is a recluse. Heroine is a DJ. Chapter titles are the titles to 90s grunge rock songs.

Gateway to Heaven - Beth Kery
Hero is a rocker. Heroine is a school teacher. Not as erotic at Kery's other novels.
Viking Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like this one The Gripping Beast http://www.amazon.com/The-Gripping-Beast-Sirens-ebook/dp/B000R93D3K/ref=tmm_kin_title_0
KataO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backstage Pass by Olivia Cunning. Hero is a guitarist in a rock band. This is erotic romance.
jantep

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynne Connolly has a rock series called "Pure Wildfire" that's part shapeshifter romance. One of the four books deals with the drummer.
karat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minerva wrote:

Till We Meet Again - Kathleen Gilles Seidel

Minerva, did you mean Till the Stars Fall, by Kathleen Gilles Seidel? I second this recommendation. This is one of my favorite romantic novels. It has received an A grade here at AAR:
http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=1397
There is a lot in the story about "Dodd Hall", the band created by Quinn (the hero) and Danny (the heroine's brother). Many chapters start with a quote from interviews given by Quinn and Danny during their career at Dodd Hall. And it is very interesting to see how Krissa, the heroine, tries to find her own identity while been very involved in the band.

Another book where the hero is a rock star is Spotlight by Carole Bellacera. I did not like it as much as Till the Stars Fall, but it has its good moments.
The hero is the lead singer of an Irish rock band. The heroine is a photojournalist who is hired to do book on the band, documenting their next U.S. tour. The band drummer is the hero's best friend, if I am not mistaken.
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just contracted a series with Lyrical Press titled Drawn To the Rhythm and the first book in the series is about A drummer who, sick of the rock star life, meets a school teacher. It's more of an "us against the world" romance. There are 4 other books in the series following the other members of the band and a novella about the band's lawyer who also happens to be the lead guitarist's sister. I'm also working on a follow up series of novellas about another band and I've already written the drummer's book. I'm guessing the books will start coming out in August or September, but I don't have publication dates for them yet.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie, I just LOVED WHAT THE LIBRARIAN DID by Karina Bliss! So funny. Well worth the money. Thanks for the recommendation.
southplains

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and recommendations, everyone! I'm looking forward to checking them out.

After watching all the drama and social interaction of the members of hubby's band all these years, I've muttered more than once, "Somebody should write a book." I guess they have! Very Happy

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: