AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1920s romances?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenniferdar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all the great recommendations! I can't wait to get started on these!
Trish B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alice Duncan wrote a quartet of books set in 1920's Los Angeles featuring a heroine who is a "spirtualist", Daisy Gumm. I haven't read them (I've read other Alice Duncan books, though) but if memory serves they may be written in the first person, and I'm not sure if they are technically "romances". I think the titles are:

Strong Spirits
Fine Spirits
High Spirits
Hungry Spirits

sanalayla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent marathon of 'Downton Abbey' made me get interested in this time period.

Given that the laws regarding property ownership changed so much in England during this period, I thought it would be interesting to read something set in this era in England. Specifically, I'm looking for novels that would talk about a woman inheriting land or an aristocratic having to deal with losing an estate, etc.

Any recommendations?
kari

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are not strictly what was asked for, but I do love these books...

Mercedes Lackey, fantasy writer, is currently working on a series called The Elemental Masters. Most of the books are set during the Edwardian period or WWI. The Serpent's Shadow features a half-Indian female physician practicing in London. She also happens to possess strong magical powers. This title features a lovely romance (like most of the other titles in this series). It is not a romance, but it is romantic.

A fun nod to Dorothy Sayers is the character of Lord Peter Almsley, best friend of the hero. (He gets his own book later, Unnatural Issue.) Mercedes Lackey is a great fan of Dorothy Sayers and The Lord Peter Wimsey books. Just out is an anthology of stories by Lackey and various friends, and it might be a good introduction to the series. The title is Elemental Magic.

I also endorse Carola Dunn's Daisy Dalrymple series.

Margery Allingham's Albert Campion mysteries start out in the 1920s. The hero is not very exciting at first, and appears even more of a "silly ass" than Peter. I like the early books, but others prefer them when Albert is a bit older and more serious during the late 1930s and afterwards.

In actual romances, weren't some early Laura Lee Guhrke books set closer to the time requested by the OP?
Nana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara Hambly's Bride of the Rat God is an outstanding paranormal/magic novel set in 1920s Hollywood. The practical friend (maybe sister-in-law, I forget) of a Hollywood starlet has to help them escape the curse of a Chinese necklace. Pekingeses are involved. It's both funny and page-turning. Primarily an SF/Fantasy book but there's a romance HEA as well as some mystery elements.
PatW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana wrote:
Barbara Hambly's Bride of the Rat God is an outstanding paranormal/magic novel set in 1920s Hollywood. The practical friend (maybe sister-in-law, I forget) of a Hollywood starlet has to help them escape the curse of a Chinese necklace. Pekingeses are involved. It's both funny and page-turning. Primarily an SF/Fantasy book but there's a romance HEA as well as some mystery elements.

Second this - I read it when it was previously recommended on one of these threads and really liked it. Never would have known about it otherwise!
Cora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatW wrote:
Nana wrote:

Second this - I read it when it was previously recommended on one of these threads and really liked it. Never would have known about it otherwise!

Thirding this. It's a wonderful book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: