AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your top 5 ebooks from 2011/2012
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
love2read

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Your top 5 ebooks from 2011/2012 Reply with quote

Just got my first ereader - A Kindle Fire HD ~ for Christmas. I know nothing about the authors who publish only in ebook format. Please tell me who I need to buy - the best of the best! Thanks so much!
Natalie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you interested in e-book only authors? Otherwise, you can check the favorites threads. Most books have ebook versions these days.
love2read

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ebook authors only - well familiar with the others but know nothing about the ebook world - will be so appreciative of anything you all can recommend!
Rosie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't read many ebook only authors, but I would recommend Castaway Dreams by Darlene Marshall. That was one of my favorite reads of 2012. (I think you CAN buy her books in paperback -- but they're very pricey.)

Ruthie Knox is really popular. Check out About Last Night or Ride With Me.

To me, one of the best things about having an ereader is that lots of authors have self-published their backlist titles, which have been out of print for a long time. I've loved being able to read titles I missed by Marsha Canham and Pamela Morsi.
jaime

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crack that is Kristen Ashley and her Dream Men and Mountain Men series. Cara Mckenna - especially her erotic novella "Willing Victim". Tiffany Reisz.

"Heat" by R Lee Smith (long and not for the faint of hearted, and certainly an example of something that no traditional publisher would have ever put out there.)

These are all authors that started as self published ebook authors.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a discussion about ebook finds:

http://likesbooks.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=10531&highlight=ebooks

I hope this helps:)
Lynda X

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Jaime's comment about Kristen Ashley being like crack. Her books are very similar, but there's something about her writing that grabs the reader.
Very erotic.

The best romance writer, IMO, in the past couple of years is Courtney Milan who publishes mainly in e-book format. If you've never read her, you might want to start with her perfect novellas, THE GOVERNESS AFFAIR and UNVEILED or UNLOCKED (I can't remember which is the novella, but they are both great books). That way, you haven't spent much time or money, but you can decide if she appeals to you.
love2read

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the suggestions - and I LOVED the link to the past post - it was full of authors! Anyone got any others?
mirole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
I second Jaime's comment about Kristen Ashley being like crack. Her books are very similar, but there's something about her writing that grabs the reader.
Very erotic.

The best romance writer, IMO, in the past couple of years is Courtney Milan who publishes mainly in e-book format. If you've never read her, you might want to start with her perfect novellas, THE GOVERNESS AFFAIR and UNVEILED or UNLOCKED (I can't remember which is the novella, but they are both great books). That way, you haven't spent much time or money, but you can decide if she appeals to you.

I bought several books by Kristen Ashley when I found out her books had been bought by a major publisher. Looking forward to reading them.

As to Courtney Milan, my (totally personal) opinion is opposite to most of the people on this board. I read first Unveiled, hated it and then Unlocked (after much praise here and just to make sure that it had not been a one-off with Unveiled).

For me she is an epitome of what is wrong with most of the modern historical romance writers: she writes in purely modern language and as if trying desperately to come up with plots and situations that had never been explored before. As a result, her heroines possess mostly modern sensibilities, her books don't feel authentic to the era they are allegedly set in, plots seem contrived and the situations artificial, and I am just left thinking, 'Why bother write a historical when you could write a contemporary romance?!'

In Unlocked I liked the premise very much but the execution was very poor.

For me Sherry Thomas is head and shoulders above all the rest of the modern historical romance writers. Her newest trilogy is available in ebooks.
Yulie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Your top 5 ebooks from 2011/2012 Reply with quote

love2read wrote:
Just got my first ereader - A Kindle Fire HD ~ for Christmas. I know nothing about the authors who publish only in ebook format. Please tell me who I need to buy - the best of the best! Thanks so much!

I'm not sure I'd consider a Kindle Fire an e-reader - it's a mini-tablet and doesn't have an e-ink screen, unlike the rest of the Kindle line. But it's certainly a fun gift! I hope you'll enjoy it. Since I have no idea what genres you like, it's hard to make specific recommendations, but I'll try:

Carina Press is an e-only imprint affiliated with Harlequin. You can browse on their website; my favorite Carina books have been by Susanna Fraser, with The Sergeant's Lady being the best. Carrie Lofty wrote a couple of books that were published by Carina, too.

Loveswept is another e-imprint of a major publisher. Ruthie Knox and Jessica Scott are authors I'd recommend there.

Though I have reservations about some of Courtney Milan's books - I agree with Mirole that her characters can veer a bit too close to the modern - she's an amazing writer and definitely a self-published author to check out. I would start with The Governess Affair: short, inexpensive, it's the start of her current series and is really good.

Although Tammara Webber's books are also available in print now, she started as a self-published author, so you may have missed her. Easy and the Between the Lines trilogy are wonderful.

Cara McKenna/Meg Maguire has some books in print and some that are e-only. She writes erotica as McKenna and contemporaries as Maguire. Both are worth checking out.

Rosie brought up a good point about authors who self-publish some of their books, especially their OOP backlists. If there are any books you weren't able to find in print, you can try looking them up on Smashwords or Amazon - I picked up early books by Pamela Clare, Elizabeth Boyle (the Brazen trilogy) and Marsha Canham through Smashwords.
love2read

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shows you how ignorant I am - did not know there was a difference between e-ink and the Kindle Fire. It has been fun thus far, I must say!

So appreciate the help - any others you would suggest? I like all genres.
Yulie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love2read wrote:
So appreciate the help - any others you would suggest? I like all genres.

Toni Anderson writes romantic suspense for Carina - I've only read one of her books, but it was pretty good. Joanna Chambers, who writes historicals, published The Lady's Secret with Carina (I liked it) and has an upcoming book with Samhain.

I somehow forgot to mention that Loretta Chase has also self-published some of her backlist titles. Laura Lee Guhrke has too, though I don't approve of how she prices her books; these are not new releases and I think the price should reflect it.
library addict

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannon Stacey's Kowalski series (Carina)

Meg Benjamin's Konigsburg series (Samhain)

Eve Kenin's Driven and Hidden (originally published by Dorchester's Shomi line, now availble as self-pubbed in digital)
LFL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely try Ruthie Knox -- she's my favorite straight to e author right now. About Last Night is my favorite of hers.
chris booklover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:

I bought several books by Kristen Ashley when I found out her books had been bought by a major publisher. Looking forward to reading them.

As to Courtney Milan, my (totally personal) opinion is opposite to most of the people on this board. I read first Unveiled, hated it and then Unlocked (after much praise here and just to make sure that it had not been a one-off with Unveiled).

For me she is an epitome of what is wrong with most of the modern historical romance writers: she writes in purely modern language and as if trying desperately to come up with plots and situations that had never been explored before. As a result, her heroines possess mostly modern sensibilities, her books don't feel authentic to the era they are allegedly set in, plots seem contrived and the situations artificial, and I am just left thinking, 'Why bother write a historical when you could write a contemporary romance?!'

In Unlocked I liked the premise very much but the execution was very poor.

For me Sherry Thomas is head and shoulders above all the rest of the modern historical romance writers. Her newest trilogy is available in ebooks.

Agreed on all counts. Few of the "new" historical romance writers who have emerged in recent years have appealed to me. This applies to both those published traditionally and to those whose (usually self-published) work appears in e-book format only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: