AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shapeshifter books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Shapeshifter books Reply with quote

Hello,

I am looking for recs for shapeshifter books - paranormal romance not urban fantasy. Normally, i don't read shapeshifter books but I read a book called "Feral Sins" by Suzanne Wright (never heard of her before) and I really enjoyed it. If you can think of any, please let me know.

Thanks
Debbie
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Eileen Wilks' World of the Lupi series. The first book is Tempting Danger from Oct, 2004.

Kay
Trish B

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like them on the hot and humorous side you could look into G A Aiken's Dragon Kin series. Its about a family of shapeshifting dragons set in a sort of alternate reality medieval world. She also writes more contemporary-set shifter stories as Shelley Laurenston but I have never read them.

There's also Nalini Singh's Psy-Changling series set in the future where humans share the world with two other races, the Psy who feel no emotion and have a sort of collective net that they all access and the Changlings which are shifters, mainly wolves and leopards.
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurenston, shelly
series
pack challenge**** (e)
go fetch!*** (e)
here kitty, kitty****.5 (e)
(****see when he was bad)
(***see sun, sand, sex)
(****see belong to the night)
the mane event***** (e)
the beast in him*** (e)
the mane attraction**** (e)
the mane squeeze**** (e)
beast behaving badly****.5 (e)
big bad beast****.5 (e)
bear meets girl****.5 (e)
(*** see howl for it)
Ash

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the recommendation for the "Psy-changeling" series by Nalini Singh.
there is a great deal of world building in this series so should you choose to read these books start with the first book "Slave To Sensation" in order to avoid confusion.

you could also try "Dragon Bound" by Thea Harrison.
Cora

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second the Nalini Singh and Eileen Wilks recommendations.

I'd also recommend Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega series. They're both good, though the Mercy Thompson series is closer to urban fantasy and the Alpha and Omega series closer to paranormal romance.

Rachel Vincent's Werecats series from the few years ago is another good shapeshifter tale. Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series has some stories focussed on shapeshifters.
TerryS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite (probably because it was the first shapeshifter novel I ever read) is still North Wolf by M.A Evereaux.
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Wilks' Lupi books and Briggs' Mercy Thompson books are good stories with shapeshifters, but I consider both series to be Urban Fantasy rather than Paranormal Romance, and the OP requested PNR, not UF.
One of my criteria for distinguishing PNR from UF is whether each book centers on a different couple (PNR) or protagonists' relationships (if any) take multiple books to develop (UF). That distinction puts the Lupi & Mercy firmly in UF.
BTW, my earlier post about Laurenston was done without comment because I was short on time. Her books are very funny, but also very unPC. I consider all the books I listed part of one long loose series, but they can be divided into smaller groups.
I believe Paranormal Romance series by all these authors include shapeshifters:
Bell, Dana Marie
Cole, Kresley
D'Arc, Bianca
Davidson, MaryJanice
Harrison, Thea
Kenyon, Sherrilyn
Knight, Angela
MacAlister, Katie
Pape, Cindy Spencer
Sparks, Kerrelyn
Thompson, Vicki Lewis
Warren, Christine
CG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
I agree that Wilks' Lupi books and Briggs' Mercy Thompson books are good stories with shapeshifters, but I consider both series to be Urban Fantasy rather than Paranormal Romance, and the OP requested PNR, not UF.

I completely agree with this assessment.

I would also recommend Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series. Her world is complex and there are a lot of other Immortals (Valkyrie, vampires, witches...) besides the Lykae shifters, but the books that feature them are some of my favorite. I would start at the beginning with A Hunger Like No Other.
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. I appreciate the recs.

Mark - that's how I distinguish PNR from UF too. I really like each book to have/center on a a different H/h. And because of this, I never got into UF. But there it's seems to there are more UF than PNR.

Does anyone read Ellora's Cave books? Read my first by Aline Hunter, alpha/omega series - shapeshifter. I liked her two books Omega mine and Enemy mine. If anyone knows of any other Ellora's cave books (Shapeshifter) please let be know. Thanks again for the recs, I cannot wait to start reading.

Debbie
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:
Thank you all. I appreciate the recs.

Mark - that's how I distinguish PNR from UF too. I really like each book to have/center on a a different H/h. And because of this, I never got into UF. But there it's seems to there are more UF than PNR.

Does anyone read Ellora's Cave books? Read my first by Aline Hunter, alpha/omega series - shapeshifter. I liked her two books Omega mine and Enemy mine. If anyone knows of any other Ellora's cave books (Shapeshifter) please let be know. Thanks again for the recs, I cannot wait to start reading.

Debbie

I first discovered Christine Warren via Ellora's Cave, then she went on to get published. She has several shapeshifter books that were good, the first in the series was a vampire but several that followed were werewolf. I'm not sure the titles because she changed them from their ebook titles when they went to print. Same stories though.

I second Cora's rec for the Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs.

Linda
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I have for Warren:
warren, christine
others series
fantasy fix*** (e)
one bite with a stranger (=fantasy fix)
fur factor***.5 (e)
big bad wolf*** (=fur factor)
faer fetched** (e)
prince charming doesn't live here*** (=faer fetched) (e)
black magic woman**.5 (e)
fighting faer**.5 (e)
not your ordinary faerie tale*** (=fighting faer) (e)
fur for all***.5 (e)
drive me wild**.5 (=fur for all) (e)
fur play** (e)
wolf at the door***
she’s no faerie princess***
the demon you know****
(***see no rest for the witches)
howl at the moon**.5
walk on the wild side**.5
you're so vein**.5 (e)
born to be wild**.5 (e)
heart of the sea**.5 (e)
on the prowl*** (e)
Jocelyn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison and plan to read the rest of this series. This alternate-universe includes shape-shifting Wyr, Elves, Faeries, Gargoyles, Medusas, etc. set in current time.

If you like shape-shifting Dragons, I also enjoyed Shana Abe's series that starts with "The Smoke Thief." This is set in Victorian times (I think) and is also very well written.
dallase

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deborah Cooke has a series about shapeshifting dragons; the Dragonfire series. I believe the first one is Kiss of Fury. There are eight in the series so far.

And I'll second Trish B.'s suggestion of G. B. Aiken's dragon series. I have so much fun reading them.

Also, I found a series on Smashwords that were free. The author is Nicky Charles and the books are: The Mating, The Keeping, The Finding and Bonded. I have not read Bonded yet, but the first three were very good. And at an excellent price!

Oh, and Laurann Dohner has a shapeshifting series at Ellora's Cave, the first one is His Purrfect Mate.

Another author I've read is Terry Spear. She does wolf shifters.

Enjoy!
Jane A

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer Ashley has a shifters series. I've never read any of them so I can't say anything about them, but I really like her historical MacKenzie series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: