AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suspense | Mystery Books Discussion II...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
I love Ralph Cosham's narration of this series, but I had to give up on Beautiful Mystery. The depiction of monastic life is so amazingly wrong and the Latin translations so bad I was spending more time yelling at my iPod than listening. I may pick it back up if the next murder is back in Three Pines (still hoping for Peter to be the victim!).

Interesting. I know absolutely nothing about monastic life and even less about Latin so it all worked for me.

Love the idea of Peter as the victim. Smile
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minerva wrote:
I just finished The Walnut Tree by Charles Todd. I'm not quite sure how to describe this book. It is not a mystery. It is not a romance. It has plenty of descriptions of WWI and battlefield medicine. Bess Crawford is a very minor character. I enjoyed this novelette (longer than a novella, but shorter than a novel??). I'm rewatching Downton Abbey, so it suits my mood. I don't know how I would feel if I wasn't on a DA kick.

I just finished a review of this book for AAR. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would call it a fusion - it is a small part mystery, a lot woman's fiction and a lot a love story.

I too thought of DA while I was reading it. I'll admit I like Elspeth a lot more than Mary. The character actually reminded me a bit of Sybil.

maggie b.
Minerva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie b.:

Yes! Elspeth reminded me of Sibyl and not just for her nursing profession. I liked Elspeth, but it took me a while to buy into the love stories.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minerva wrote:
I just finished The Walnut Tree by Charles Todd. I'm not quite sure how to describe this book. It is not a mystery. It is not a romance. It has plenty of descriptions of WWI and battlefield medicine. Bess Crawford is a very minor character. I enjoyed this novelette (longer than a novella, but shorter than a novel??). I'm rewatching Downton Abbey, so it suits my mood. I don't know how I would feel if I wasn't on a DA kick.

I'm a little amused at the cold-blooded reviewers on amazon and goodreads who keep labeling it "delightful" and "charming," considering what had to happen for the triangle to work out.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
Minerva wrote:

I'm a little amused at the cold-blooded reviewers on amazon and goodreads who keep labeling it "delightful" and "charming," considering what had to happen for the triangle to work out.

I do call the HEA wonderful in my review, though I avoid the words charming and delightful. Twisted Evil I was just thrilled it had an HEA. Had she stayed with the other character, that wouldn't have been one for me.

maggie b.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:

I do call the HEA wonderful in my review, though I avoid the words charming and delightful. Twisted Evil I was just thrilled it had an HEA. Had she stayed with the other character, that wouldn't have been one for me.

maggie b.

I noted to a friend that the other character's letters never seemed to say anything but "I'm coming for you." He was more of a threat than a character for most of the book. Still, I feel a little guilty at being so relieved, you know?
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
maggie b. wrote:

maggie b.

I noted to a friend that the other character's letters never seemed to say anything but "I'm coming for you." He was more of a threat than a character for most of the book. Still, I feel a little guilty at being so relieved, you know?

It is hard, isn't it?I kept wishing the war would solve the problem, which was a bit sick if you think about it.

maggie b.
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks -- read and enjoyed, along with the second book, The Blood Atonement, which has one major blooper in regard to US genealogy (the 1890 census was burned; he has his protagonist consulting it online). Unfortunately, his website says that although he's been working on a third book in the series, his publisher doesn't want any more of them, so he's looking into e-publishing it if he ever finds the time.

MrsFairfax wrote:
veasleyd1 wrote:
I'm a hobby genealogist, so I snapped up the five inexpensive e-books by G. G. Vandagriff (Poisoned Pedigree, etc.). The mystery series is set in 1993-1994, before major internet resources, when researchers still had to do genealogy "the hard way." I enjoyed the first one; I also enjoyed the title above, which is set in Barry Co., MO. As I worked through them, though, I became increasingly annoyed with the whiny insecurities of the heroine and the increasingly intrusive religious messages. Even for a genealogist, the series as a whole gets a C-.

Virginia, you might like The Blood Detective by Dan Waddell. Nigel Barnes is a family historian who ends up helping the police solve crimes that have a historical motive. The first clue's a bit of a stretch, but I like Waddell's writing style and his characters very much.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
Thanks -- read and enjoyed, along with the second book, The Blood Atonement, which has one major blooper in regard to US genealogy (the 1890 census was burned; he has his protagonist consulting it online). Unfortunately, his website says that although he's been working on a third book in the series, his publisher doesn't want any more of them, so he's looking into e-publishing it if he ever finds the time.

Did not know about the 1890 census - that is a pretty major blooper. Much as I adore Nigel (I love the random old photo on his mantel! That's something I would do when I lived by myself) I can see why the publisher's wary of a third rehash of basically the same "historical motives" plot. Waddell needs to find another angle that lets Nigel be useful. I do like the characters, esp. Grant in the second book.
seira

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming late to this thread and my apologies if the following authors
have already been mentioned but would like to add the following:

Carol O'Connell. Her Kathleen Mallory books. Mallory is a precursor to Salander, brilliant with her own moral code. Books need to be read in order. Also The Judas Child which is a stand alone title - found it a tough read especially if you have small children.

Elly Griffiths. Her Ruth Galloway is in her late thirties, an archaeologist and the action takes place in and around the Fens. Suggest also read in order.

S.J. Bolton. Only read two so far which are stand alone titles, The Awakening and Now you See Me.

Rennie Airth. John Madden series set in WW2 England.

Yrsa Sigurdardottir. Have read Last Rituals and My Soul to Take featuring attorney Thora Gudmundsdottir. Setting is Iceland and the books are translations which didn't bother me but might bother some.

Off now to mine the backlist of new to me mystery writers from previous posts! Many thanks.
Manda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got S.J. Bolton's Now You See Me on my TBR, Siera. Smile

I'm working my way through Mo Hayder's five Jack Caffrey books. He's an interesting character. Not always likable, but interesting. Seems like he might finally be nearing a relationship that will last. (The last two were dead ends.) So I'm committed at least to seeing how that pans out.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Caller
Leslie Tentler
B

This is my second book by Leslie Tentler, a new voice in romantic suspense.

Rain Sommers is a late night radio psychologist. Mostly she speaks to young people suffering from Bulemia or wondering if they should reunite with their ex but a strange caller puts her on edge when he starts to speak of blood games. Rain disconnects him, earning her a stern talking to from her producer. She doesn't care - the caller gave her a very creepy vibe and she wanted nothing to do with him.

Trevor Rivette left New Olreans many yearsa ago. Now he is back as a Special Agent with the VCU. An unsub he has been chasing just appeared in The Big Easy and Trevor feels for once he is actually hot on the guys trail. When he hears what he is certain is his killer calling into the radio station, he sets up a meeting with Dr. Sommers. Her show may be his best chance of catching a serial murderer before the man strikes again. Neither expect their instant attraction or the chain of events that sets into motion.

A great rom suspense. While it breaks no new ground the writing and interesting characters more than makeup for that. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. My only complaint lay with the ending - I would have enjoyed a more thorough reveal of the villain. We got some good info but not quite enough to satisfy me.

maggie b.
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started re-reading Charlotte MacLeod's series beginning with The Family Vault that features Sarah Kelling and Max Bittersohn. These books were written in the 1970s and are now coming out for your Kindle. The writing is excellent. In modern terminology, I suppose they would be "cozies."

Last edited by veasleyd1 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
I've started re-reading Charlotte MacLeod's series beginning with The Family Fault that features Sarah Kelling and Max Bittersohn. These books were written in the 1970s and are now coming out for your Kindle. The writing is excellent. In modern terminology, I suppose they would be "cozies."

What a coincidence! I just started a slow "re-read" of the series in audio. I just listened to the first one. It's been years since I read the series (and actually gave up probably about 5 or 6 in), but the first books are still some of my favorites.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Exposure
Melinda Leigh
B-

What do you grade a book that has a somewhat ridiculous premise but still has excellent writing and characterization? I came up with B- but hose who couldn't set aside the premise might go lower.

Jayne is a photographer in need of money. In a desperate attempt to help pay her brothers medical bills, she sinks to the lowest form of her medium - tabloid photographer. Her assignment is to find artist R.S. Morgan and take photos of the reclusive genius but her information has her instead searching a nowhere town for a man who seems not to exist.

Reed Kimble has good reason for hiding who he is. When he meets Jayne he has no clue who she is but he does know he is instantly attracted. Before they can act on that attraction Jayne is kidnapped. Thus begins a dangerous game of cat and mouse with a deadly psycopath.

Reed and Jayne have good chemistry but for me it is Jayne who makes the story. A victim of a previous assault, Jayne has turned herself into a fierce fighter. At every step the killer gets more than he bargained for in this resiliant young woman. I would love to delve more deeply into the story but the layers are so fragile I am afraid I will give away too much of the plot by doing so.

I am excited to find a new voice in RS. I would have preferred a stronger story line but the author did a good enough job on characteriziation and suspense building that I will check out book two in the series coming out in Spring of 2013. I have several of her other books on my kindle and I am hopefu the author has worked out the kinks in her plotting. Even with its flaws this was an enjoyable read.

maggie b.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: