AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kleypas' Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor TV movie Dec 9
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trish B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Kleypas' Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor TV movie Dec 9 Reply with quote

The TV movie based on Lisa Kleypas' Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor, Christmas With Holly, is on this Sunday night at 9 eastern time. Will you be watching? I enjoyed the book, so I will, but I'm also a bit wary as these movies based on romances rarely turn out well from what I've seen in the past. It's also going to be competing with the rebroadcast of Downton Abbey season two on PBS (at least where I live) and, depending on who's playing, Sunday Night Footall . Smile
Manda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to watch but I am totally not expecting to like it as much as the book. The hero looks way younger than I pictured Mark in my head, though I guess that's just because I'm getting older and think 25 year olds are babies now.
Sad
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On which channel?
Manda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be on ABC as a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie.
bijoux

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manda wrote:
I plan to watch but I am totally not expecting to like it as much as the book. The hero looks way younger than I pictured Mark in my head, though I guess that's just because I'm getting older and think 25 year olds are babies now.
Sad

It's not just that he looks younger, he is younger. As far as I remember, Mark was in his 30s in the book. He is about 25 in this, and he's the youngest of the brothers. I'm not really sure why that change was made. Maggie being dumped at the altar instead of widowed I get. It would be a lot to take in coupled with Holly's dead mom in the course of a TV movie.
Danielle D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to be honest...I will be recording this movie. That way I can fast forward through the commercials.

I also want to see the reviews on how much they change the movie from the book.

On Sunday night we have football on in our house, just looked up who is playing Sunday night -- Lions vs Packers....football for sure. My husband is a Packer fan.

So many books, so little time

http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/DanniD?ref=profile
http://www.shelfari.com/dani807

Now a Lady of Leisure
Sally S.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Kleypas' Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor TV movie Dec 9 Reply with quote

I read a description of the movie. The heroine is no longer a widow, but a women who was left at the altar. This changes the whole feeling of the book and the sympathy I had for the main character.
Manda

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bijoux wrote:
It's not just that he looks younger, he is younger. As far as I remember, Mark was in his 30s in the book. He is about 25 in this, and he's the youngest of the brothers. I'm not really sure why that change was made.

Ahhh! I thought I'd just misremembered his age from the book. That makes me feel somewhat better.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It mystifies me why certain romances are made into movies. It seems so random, although granted this one has a Christmas theme. I guess these authors have particularly good reps who farm their material out to producers. Still, most of these books don't seem to be "the best" of the genre. After all of these years of this board's group of readers -- and others around the net -- selecting their favorite romances, I can't remember any of them ever being made into a movie. The rare exception is the Outlander miniseries being developed, if it, indeed, makes it to the screen.
Trish B

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
It mystifies me why certain romances are made into movies. It seems so random, although granted this one has a Christmas theme. I guess these authors have particularly good reps who farm their material out to producers. Still, most of these books don't seem to be "the best" of the genre. After all of these years of this board's group of readers -- and others around the net -- selecting their favorite romances, I can't remember any of them ever being made into a movie. The rare exception is the Outlander miniseries being developed, if it, indeed, makes it to the screen.

Call me cynical, but my guess is because:

1. as you said, it's a Christmas themed story
2. it was more novella then novel and so might work better for the length of a tv movie
3. it's got that "heartwarming" thing going for it
4. it's got a kid in it

One might think that perhaps Ms Kleypas wrote it with a tv movie in mind. I don't know why the books chosen to be made as tv movies are always the more mediocre ones. Perhaps those are the ones that sell. The uncomplicated, unnuanced, non-controversial books. Can you imagine anyone in Hollywood making a film of Flowers From the Storm or Private Arrangements? Though given the popularity of Downton Abby, Sherry Thomas' books would seem the perfect material for movies.
LFL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trish B wrote:
Can you imagine anyone in Hollywood making a film of Flowers From the Storm or Private Arrangements? Though given the popularity of Downton Abby, Sherry Thomas' books would seem the perfect material for movies.

I would love that, but I don't expect it. Period movies are especially expensive to film due to all the work that goes into sets and costumes, and they are rarely blockbusters at the box office. Therefore for them to be made the screenplay usually has to be based on a classic with a long track record and appeal to the art house crowd as well as to other moviegoers. That's a big part of why we're more likely to see movies of Pride and Prejudice or Anna Karenina than historical romances. Contemporaries and urban fantasies have a better shot at being adapted to the screen.
Marilyn.K

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danielle D wrote:
I have to be honest...I will be recording this movie. That way I can fast forward through the commercials.

I also want to see the reviews on how much they change the movie from the book.

On Sunday night we have football on in our house, just looked up who is playing Sunday night -- Lions vs Packers....football for sure. My husband is a Packer fan.

Same here. Ditto about skipping the commercials, too.

Also, I cannot understand why Hollywood feels compelled to change the storyline of this relatively simple, straightforward romance or present the H as so much younger than in the book. But what do I know? I'm only a reader/viewer.
gumbybird

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as I adore Lisa Kleypas, I love the Packers more. Luckily I live in Pacific time so I don't have to choose - the movie doesn't start until after the game here. Very Happy

Anyone hear of any comments from LK about the movie? Was she involved in writing the screenplay at all? (I'd be surprised...)
sanalayla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
It mystifies me why certain romances are made into movies. It seems so random, although granted this one has a Christmas theme. I guess these authors have particularly good reps who farm their material out to producers. Still, most of these books don't seem to be "the best" of the genre.

The funny thing is that I remember reading the description of "Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor" and thinking, "Wow, this sounds like the book version of a Hallmark Christmas movie."

Looks like I wasn't the only one who thought so. Smile

A lot of movies have been made out of Nora Roberts' works and it seems as though Kleypas very consciously modeled her latest series on the Roberts' formula. So it wasn't surprising to me that Hallmark or Lifetime would be interested in Kleypas's latest series.
carolydixon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie was so charming. Well done, Ms. Kleypas!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: