AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm so embarrassed but I'm reading more young adult romances
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bookmark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: I'm so embarrassed but I'm reading more young adult romances Reply with quote

*hangs head* As someone who's officially showing her age with more gray hairs that I've been plucking. But not to get sidetracked...

It all started when I ran across a YA book that I skimmed in the book store but didn't get it. Don't ask me why I was flipping through a YA book in the first place. For some reason, I decided I wanted to read it but did not remember the name or author of the book, except vague recall of the cover, which I went on here to ask, which I had no success. However, because of searching for that book, I got sidetracked and tried a YA book and liked it.

I really like Unspoken by Sara Rees Brennan and Wicked Fate by Tabatha Vargo. Excellent books that kept me glued to the pages. OF A YA BOOK! Go figure! The only thing I don't like about a lot of the YA books is that a lot of them are series. That's why I'm so irked by the aforementioned books that I have to wait for the next books in the series because the ending was so dramatic!

Maybe be I'm going through a phase of losing faith in people and life so I'm reverting to the past when it's easier to believe, be positive,...? I dunno.

Not to say that I've stopped reading adult historical romances.

If anyone liked the books that I mentioned and could recommend more YA books that I may like, I'd love it.
sanalayla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a period of time there where I completely stopped reading YA books (the heroines were much to whiney for me; it was hard to believe in the HEA when it was a couple of kids who thought they had epic love). This was even though I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and I count some YA classics to be amongst my favorite books ever. (Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, etc.)

However, I did love "The Hunger Games". I have not read any of the books that seem to be rip-offs of the series, although some are quite well reviewed.

I recently read a book called "Cinder" - I hate that we have to wait ONE YEAR(!!) between books and it's a 4 book series. But it's a lovely book.

The Artemis Fowl series is quite fun but it is not a romance. I enjoyed the Percy Jackson series - although the original is more children's than YA... the sequels get more into YA romance territory.
bookmark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanalayla wrote:
There was a period of time there where I completely stopped reading YA books (the heroines were much to whiney for me; it was hard to believe in the HEA when it was a couple of kids who thought they had epic love).)

the sequels get more into YA romance territory.

I agree about hard to believe in the HEA because they're kids, so I try not to think too far.

The thing is that most heroines in historicals are pretty young too, well above 18 most often, so I actually accept young heroines in YA books better because they do act their age so make them more believable age-wise. Really, the big difference between YA books and historical romances is the age of the heroes. I prefer YA heroes' ages because of the age match. I wish more historical heroes would be in their twenties if they're going to be paired up with 18-20 yr old heroines.

I hate sequels or serials. I just like my books to end nice and neat in one book.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read quite a few YA books and have my share of gray hair (which I quickly cover up at the hairdresser, lol) ! I think the first draw in the bookstore is that they have great covers, it makes me want to reach out and pick them up. I think their covers are better than most adult covers. I like that the heroines in the YA books are not so jaded and cynical, their enthusiasm for the relationship is refreshing and the heroes are often really well written.

Easy was one of my favorite books of the year, I bought it in digital and in print.

Linda
jaime

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through a phase when I read a lot of YA books - catching up especially on YA titles I didn't read when I was a new adult. I grew out of the YA phase mainly because of the genre's tendency towards emo navel gazing, and also because I have nothing in common with the heroines and it was hard to identify with them.

That said - there are amazing and imaginative children's and new adult books out there - especially in the fantasy and sci-fi genre.
erika

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
I read quite a few YA books and have my share of gray hair (which I quickly cover up at the hairdresser, lol) ! I think the first draw in the bookstore is that they have great covers, it makes me want to reach out and pick them up. I think their covers are better than most adult covers. I like that the heroines in the YA books are not so jaded and cynical, their enthusiasm for the relationship is refreshing and the heroes are often really well written.

Easy was one of my favorite books of the year, I bought it in digital and in print.

Linda

The heroines are why I like reading YA books too.

I'm not embarassed at all about reading YA in my 40's. I just wish I didn't stop reading them eons ago!

Also, one can read a YA book and not get any raised eyebrows from family who don't read because the covers are so tame.
kim_mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as fellow 40-something gray-hair and avid romance reader, I started reading YA b/c my teenager was reading and I thought it was a great thing for us to be able to talk about. I have discovered some great authors who tell poignant stories. Although I have to admit, my daughter tends toward the SciFi and paranormal while I like the straight contemporary romance.

I highly recommend Stephanie Perkins (LOVE her 2 books and am anxiously awaiting the 3rd), Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti (a recent glom for me) and a debut author, Tiffany Schmidt (her current release is Send Me a Sign.) Simone Elkeles' Perfect Chemistry series is also worthwhile.

If you like historicals, Sarah MacLean's The Season is a good read as well. I'd love to hear other recommendations for authors similar to these.
Yulie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: I'm so embarrassed but I'm reading more young adult roma Reply with quote

bookmark wrote:
*hangs head* As someone who's officially showing her age with more gray hairs that I've been plucking. But not to get sidetracked...

Why would you be ashamed of reading YA? A good book is a good book. Some of the YA/NA titles I've read in the past year were more original and more enjoyable than my romance reading.

I'm not familiar with the books you liked, though, so I can't suggest anything specific. Are you familiar with Forever Young Adult? Maybe you can take a look there.
bookmark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: I'm so embarrassed but I'm reading more young adult roma Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:

Why would you be ashamed of reading YA? A good book is a good book. Some of the YA/NA titles I've read in the past year were more original and more enjoyable than my romance reading.

Good question but I do feel embarrassed just because of the age thing, I suppose.

Now that some have mentioned it, the ones I've enjoyed and mostly read so far are the ya paranormals or sci-fi romances.
bookmark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
have my share of gray hair (which I quickly cover up at the hairdresser, lol) !
Linda

I'm dreading that day because I've always been low maintenance the past 20 yrs or more with my hair. I only get haircuts once/yr, sometimes twice/yr.
MMcA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on the grey hair: actually, I've no problem at all with going grey - I think it looks great - but this intermediate stage where it's odd grey hairs is just annoying. And they're wavy! Why does that happen?

Back to the books - I think I like YA romances partly because I got so fed up of the mandatory sex scenes in adult romances. In YA they may not have sex, but if they do it's not florid, and they're even allowed to have sex with the 'wrong' people...

Recommendations - I'd absolutely agree with kim_mac about the Stephanie Perkins books - they are connected, but not series, you start with Anna and the French Kiss. I didn't buy this for the longest time, because I thought they sounded a bit young, but I bought them both over the summer, and they're already one of my favourite comfort reads. Pure romance.
I also liked - and this is the first of a series, sorry - Maureen Johnson's 'Name of the Star' though strictly speaking, it's not romance - girl is sent to boarding school in London, at a point when someone starts copycatting Jack the Ripper's murders - but it's not as gory as that makes it sound. (The romance is a subplot.)
I tore through the Andrea Host series about a month ago, thanks to a recommendation on Dear Author - 3 books, starts with 'Stray' - sci-fi about a girl who walks through a portal into an alien world, there's a strong romantic thread through them.
'Sea of Tranquility'by Katja Millay - stand alone - I think it was also a DA rec. - just fantastic angsty YA about a girl who has lost herself and a boy who has lost everything but himself, and it's just romance.

None of which, when you come down to it, are really much like Sarah Rees Brennan who is just funny. (I haven't read the Tabatha Vargo, but I'm off to look at it.)
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:
Back to the books - I think I like YA romances partly because I got so fed up of the mandatory sex scenes in adult romances. In YA they may not have sex, but if they do it's not florid, and they're even allowed to have sex with the 'wrong' people...

)

You brought up a huge draw I forgot to mention, the lack of page after page of overly detailed sex scenes in YA. I just skim over most of them so it's a waste of space, I'd rather have more story.

Dare I admit that it was Twilight that brought me into the world of YA reading? I came here asking for book recommendations to give my daughter for Christmas one year and Twilight was mentioned, this was before it became big. I read it myself before passing along to her and realized that I didn't miss the lack of sex and the writing was good, it didn't feel 'young' as I had imagined YA books would. From there I moved on to other YA novels.

AAR has always been good about reviewing YA books as well as adult!

Gray hair - I have dark brown hair, almost black. so it stands out. Actually mine are more silver and I'd look like a skunk if I didn't cover it up. Razz

Linda
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: I'm so embarrassed but I'm reading more young adult roma Reply with quote

bookmark wrote:

It all started when I ran across a YA book that I skimmed in the book store but didn't get it. Don't ask me why I was flipping through a YA book in the first place. For some reason, I decided I wanted to read it but did not remember the name or author of the book, except vague recall of the cover, which I went on here to ask, which I had no success. However, because of searching for that book, I got sidetracked and tried a YA book and liked it.

I really like Unspoken by Sara Rees Brennan and Wicked Fate by Tabatha Vargo. Excellent books that kept me glued to the pages. OF A YA BOOK! Go figure! The only thing I don't like about a lot of the YA books is that a lot of them are series. That's why I'm so irked by the aforementioned books that I have to wait for the next books in the series because the ending was so dramatic!

Maybe be I'm going through a phase of losing faith in people and life so I'm reverting to the past when it's easier to believe, be positive,...? I dunno.

Not to say that I've stopped reading adult historical romances.

If anyone liked the books that I mentioned and could recommend more YA books that I may like, I'd love it.

For books that are like Wicked Fate try "Beautiful" series by Kami Garda and Margaret Stohl. It begins with Beautiful Creatures. You might also like Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini.

Unspoken looks fabulous and I will be asking for it for Christmas. The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson would be similiar and is an outstanding read.

I would have gray hair but I color it and pretend it is not there. I read YA but I hold my heard up proudly. Evil or Very Mad If that is where they want to publish the good fantasy, so be it.

maggie b.
bookmark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:
And they're wavy! Why does that happen?

They want attention. Wink Mine stays straight.

MMcA wrote:

I prefer no sex in contemporary young adult books. I think about my neices and nephews and just want to live in lala land of young people not having sex.

MMcA wrote:
None of which, when you come down to it, are really much like Sarah Rees Brennan who is just funny. (I haven't read the Tabatha Vargo, but I'm off to look at it.)

I found the heroine in Team Human, which was a collaborative effort with Sarah Brennan and Justine L., as more childish than the heroine in Unspoken. I don't know why I mentioned that, as it has no bearing on the topic at hand, but it just popped in my head.

Thanks to MMcA, kim_mac, and Maggie for the book recs. I'm off to look.
sanalayla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
I think the first draw in the bookstore is that they have great covers, it makes me want to reach out and pick them up. I think their covers are better than most adult covers.

I wonder why that is? I've noticed that as well... the Young Adult section of the bookstore is just stunning. (Especially the covers of the "Matched" trilogy. If I were judging a book by it's covers, that series would be one of my favorites without even having read them.)

Does it cost a lot to produce those covers? Commission new art or something? I've often wondered why even the hardcover romances are not that gorgeous. I would be buying less books on Kindle if regular romances had those sorts of covers as opposed to the naked people on the cover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: