AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Kristen Ashley, have you read her?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEK wrote:
IShe's the type of writer who probably would get a low grade in any creative writing class, but the class members can't wait to read her stuff!

More power to her.


Exactly, that's a great way to put it! I'm finding that more and more it's these authors that are writing the stories that really appeal to me. So many authors I hear about that have brilliant prose, sparkling dialog, etc. and their stories do nothing for me. I think perhaps the authors that start out in ebooks have the advantage of not having to please the big house publisher to get their books out there, therefore they don't have the feeling of 'same old stuff. There's a rawness to them that's appealing.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lynda X



Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 1459

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books are mysterious, aren't they? I often can't put my finger on why a book doesn't appeal to me: it's well written with good characterization, but it's blah. Maybe it's just that I've seen it a million times, but I kinds of doubt it. Reading is a mystery.

Kristen Ashley is a guilty pleasure and there's just something about her writing, that makes it appealing. Yes, yes, her books are "all the same, " really and too long, but they are vivid and yes, just fun. So shoot me. I like her. (But don't read more than a couple without taking a break).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started the Rock Chick books, midway through the first one, it's a riot! It's pretty much a Steph Plum redux, though hopefully no love triangle, don't not to jinx myself, haha The hero, Lee, LOVE him!!

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
I've started the Rock Chick books, midway through the first one, it's a riot! It's pretty much a Steph Plum redux, though hopefully no love triangle, don't not to jinx myself, haha The hero, Lee, LOVE him!!

Linda



Oh, good to know! I haven't read them yet, but am pretty much reading everything by Ashley. DIL will be happy to hear too, since I've pretty much got her hooked too.
Steph Plum??? Fun. I love that.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
desiderata



Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Posts: 226

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be one of the few who doesn't get KA. After all the hoopla, I read Wild Man and Sweet Dreams. I finished both, so the stories were somewhat entertaining, but gads the woman needs an editor in the worst way. I think her writing is pretty bad. The dialogue is just painful, especially in Wild Man. She writes 40 something characters who are basically responsible adults dealing with all the problems and complexities of life -- but they talk like they're 19 years old. It constantly pulled me out of the story. Also, for the books supposedly being so sexy, the sex scenes felt flat to me. They're all the same. I agree with the poster above who commented that the heroines were basically interchangeable, although Tessa in Wild Man gets the special doormat award for the woman who agrees to anything and constantly whispers. Anyway, I wish I could join the ride but Ashely doesn't work for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
[d them yet, but am pretty much reading everything by Ashley. DIL will be happy to hear too, since I've pretty much got her hooked too.
Steph Plum??? Fun. I love that.


And I'd say the hero is more Ranger than Joe! lol He's pretty yummy. Twisted Evil Please let me know what you think! I've had a busy two days so I haven't finished it yet.

I can see how KA wouldn't work for everyone but she does it for me. Smile

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vellorine



Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 106

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desiderata wrote:
I must be one of the few who doesn't get KA. After all the hoopla, I read Wild Man and Sweet Dreams. I finished both, so the stories were somewhat entertaining, but gads the woman needs an editor in the worst way. I think her writing is pretty bad. The dialogue is just painful, especially in Wild Man. She writes 40 something characters who are basically responsible adults dealing with all the problems and complexities of life -- but they talk like they're 19 years old. It constantly pulled me out of the story. Also, for the books supposedly being so sexy, the sex scenes felt flat to me. They're all the same. I agree with the poster above who commented that the heroines were basically interchangeable, although Tessa in Wild Man gets the special doormat award for the woman who agrees to anything and constantly whispers. Anyway, I wish I could join the ride but Ashely doesn't work for me.


You are not alone. I couldn't finish up reading KA's Knight. The first half was interesting, with the heroine wanting to live a small, simple life and the hero being an alpha, although in truth I think he is just a controlling jerk (spoiler: I will punch the dude if he shows up at 4am unannounced only to have sex; my sleep is precious). But when the whole "who's your daddy" thing got started, I couldn't read any further. I guess it's just not my thing Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vellorine wrote:
[KA's Knight. The first half was interesting, with the heroine wanting to live a small, simple life and the hero being an alpha, although in truth I think he is just a controlling jerk (spoiler: I will punch the dude if he shows up at 4am unannounced only to have sex; my sleep is precious). But when the whole "who's your daddy" thing got started, I couldn't read any further. I guess it's just not my thing Smile


Well, I generally enjoy KA's books but I totally agree with you about Knight. I read that one first and almost didn't go on to read any more by her. The daddy thing was so creepy and the hero was indeed a jerk. I was glad I gave other books by her a chance, I wouldn't recommend anyone new to the author start with that one.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't enjoy Knight either, and didn't go on to read any of her books for a very long time after that. I'm glad I tried again though, but can certainly understand not everyone getting into her books. I suggested them to my daughter-in-law with some reservations, but did say...don't start with Knight or just skip it altogether. Her first try was the book with the British heroine. She loved it. I thought she'd either love this author or think I was crazy for reading her. I told her beforehand that the author really needs an editor. She agreed after reading that book, and has read several more after that first one.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group