AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

~How Does Your Mate Feel About You Reading Romance?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hopeless_Romantic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: ~How Does Your Mate Feel About You Reading Romance? Reply with quote

I’ve heard some romance WRITERS say that their mate (usually husbands) like that they write romance, read all of her work and enjoy hearing how they inspired the hero. Wink So that got me to wondering how a romance READERS’ mate (husbands and wives) feels about their ‘hobby’, if anything.

Does your mate like that you read romance or hate it, do they resent the time you spend reading or not care either way, do they enjoy hearing bits of your current book or do they read right along with you?
Elaine S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband is indifferent to what I read although he does notice the space taken up by my keeper shelf (room). We do read in common but mainly in military and social history and Bernard Cornwell books. After we first got togther he began reading much more because of the amount of time I spent with my nose in a book and I guess he felt it was better to join me in reading than not.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He couldn't care less. Loves to rib me about it, though! Very Happy
dick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always read a lot--usually about a book a day. My wife gets a bit testy when I get so engrossed I don't hear what she's saying to me, but otherwise, she doesn't mind. And she likes that I began reading romance fiction in the last decade or so. We occasionally trade books, but her likes are different. Actually, she was the one who clued me in to the fact that Sandra Brown was considered a romance author; I read Brown as a mystery/suspense writer, because she was shelved that way where I bought books. Eventually, because I liked Brown's books, I started reading romance fiction and had to revise my rather low opinion of it.
willaful

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

My husband and I riff on it a lot. We also have serious discussions. I enjoy telling him what I'm thinking about.
JudyZ6666

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

Mine likes to rib me about it while shuffling off his already-read fantasy novels (with armor-wearing Amazons on the cover <g>) to our 16 year old. Wink

Judy
Eggletina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband doesn't give me a hard time. I suspect he secretly wishes I would be more demonstrative like some of those romance heroines, and I'm pretty sure he has a stereotypical view of what romance is. I do think he wishes I would read less and have more hobbies that required physical action. He's a very active person, always has to be doing something (usually outside). Sitting still isn't in his nature. He probably also realizes if he gave me a hard time, I'd have to give him a hard time about some of his hobbies -- such as the amount of time and money he spends on his dirt bikes!
Hopeless_Romantic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I enjoyed your responses! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: