AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WW I or WW II books out there???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy, set in WWI, is astounding, especially the first. Much of the action of the first book, also called Regeneration, is set in a hospital for those suffering from shell shock, and she makes the challenges and characters very real. I think she won the Booker Prize for these and well deserved it. Most definitely not Romance.

I adore these books. Barker's writing is so lyrical and lovely. And the depiction of Craiglockhart (the hospital) was heartbreaking but fascinating.

Since no one else has mentioned them, I'll throw in a plug for Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series. They're mysteries set between the wars. A bit frustrating if you're reading for romance but lovely all the same.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a real life love story, As Always, Jack by Emma Sweeney is a collection of letters from the father she never knew to her mom, written during his deployment just after they met to when he came home and proposed. It's only his side of the correspondence, but he's so funny and sweet and totally gone on his girl you have to fall in love with him a little.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manda wrote:

Since no one else has mentioned them, I'll throw in a plug for Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series. They're mysteries set between the wars. A bit frustrating if you're reading for romance but lovely all the same.

Definitely second this recommendation. I have read the first 4 books in the series so far and have liked them all. Winspear tackles many universal topics about the long-reaching effects of war. Research is evident and historical detail brings the time period to life.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audrey wrote:
I just finished Carrie Lofty's His Very Own Girl and I am very impressed. I keep meaning to try Carrie Lofty as I've heard her mentioned favorably before, and since I received a Kobo for my birthday, I have been trying new authors. I have to admit I chose this one both for the unusual setting and because it was cheap, $2.99. The setting and history were not just background but an integral part of the story, but the romance wasn't skimped on at all. Anyone looking for WWII romance, or just anything different should really try this one.

I just finished this last night and thought it was very good. I agree, the WW II setting is not just window dressing, and Lofty clearly has done her homework. The romance is weaved so well into the setting.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Vein listed here and if you are looking for the WWII time period without a romance that is one of the best.

I can't believe I forgot to list Our Yanks by Margaret Mayhew. Lovely romance and general story set in WWII.

Also, I just discovered a series of YA books by Michelle Cooper which I am starting this week or maybe next

A Brief History of Montmaray
Th FitzOsbornes in Exile
The FitzOzbornes at War

maggie b.
kari

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overseas by Beatriz Williams is a time travel novel with WWI/modern parallel plots. Published as historical fiction but very much a romance. AAR reviewed it (a nice solid B).

Unnatural Issue by Mercedes Lackey is set during WWI and has a romantic storyline, but is published as fantasy. The hero is an homage to Dorothy Sayer's Lord Peter Wimsey. Part of the Elemental Masters series.

The young adult novel Rilla of Ingleside by LM Montgomery (the heroine is the youngest daughter of Anne of Green Gables) is a coming-of-age story set at the Canadian home front of WWI. In my opinion, this is THE best novel Montgomery wrote. (Fighting words, I know.) In the Selected Journals of LM Montgomery, you can read the author's own picture of the Great War, as she followed each agonizing event of the war overseas. This is one reason why the novel is so powerful. According to the novel, the practice of daylight savings time has its origin in the war (at least in Canada). Blythe (in her DIK review of the series) also considers Rilla a favorite. The romance is very sweet but the couple don't spend a lot of time together!
kris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Maggie B about the Bess Crawford mysteries. She's a nursing sister in WW1 and the books are very well researched . There's a very slight hint at a possible love interest in the first 2 books. The third one in the series...A Bitter Truth...is turning out to be just as exciting as the previous two. I highly recommend this series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: