AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
The Siren by Tiffany Reisz
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
erika



Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 501

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
erika wrote:
I'm curious if this author practices this lifestyle. It astounds me that she would ask readers to withhold judgement. I would be more understanding of that if underage characters weren't involved.

A bit ot. I wish flawed heroes like Soren would appear with frequency in Presents instead those heroes have been toned down considerably.


I don't know if she currently does. Her boyfriend is the author of Fifty Shades of Earl Grey. But she does answer question on Goodreads discussions and often refers to her experiences. Apparently Soren is based on her Dom (although i am pretty sure she said not a priest, but didn't say not a Minister !?! now I think about that)


Ah. That explains her opinion you posted.

I'm still irritated this author has more freedom to write her characters than Presents authors who have to write charcters I have to relate to! I get surveys from Harlequin asking if I can relate to the hero/heroine when I'm more interested in a compelling read.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:

Smile That is so sweet, you shouldn't feel guilty and I assure you part of my fun is that you don't see it the same as me, and it makes me really think about what I feel about the different situations and why I feel that way etc etc. I could go to lots of place, including your friend apparently, to find the group orgasm for her writing, if that was all I wanted. I like hearing your take and thinking about it just like I like the plot and characters making me think. I hope that makes sense.


It does and thanks for being great about it! I do think you would also enjoy it if a few posters jumped in the thread that loved it as much as you did and I know they are out there from reading reviews and other boards.

Quote:
And the funny thing is one of the biggest things you said one day was that you didn't want to read books that made you "think too much" or something like that. It hit me so hard because I had started reading romances a year ago because I felt beat up and emotionally didn't have anything to spare for reading anything that made me "think". So when you wrote that I realized I had was on the mend and feeling emotions whether in lit or real life was coming back. My glass had drained so I wasn't in overflow mode all the time. So to speak.


Well this was certainly a unique book to bring you back, seems like just what you needed. Though, you may find yourself like me after FSoG in that *nothing* out there is as good, as enjoyable. It's a double edged sword when you find a book that hits you that way.

Right now I'm going through a YA phase in my reading, or as far as young college kids. I needed a break from 'sex' books! lol After Fifty I read a ton of BDSM books trying to look for one that was similar and now I think if I have to read one more long, overly detailed sex scene I'm going to hurl. Razz

Quote:
That is too funny. My husband would be like Soren Who? and Why? Then I would have to tell him and that could give him ideas that I wouldn't want to live up too. Laughing (right before I start) Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad (trying to remember a safe word)


Ha!!! I think it might be a challenge to explain to men that what we like reading in a book sex scene may not be what we are looking for in real life, lol.

Quote:
OMG tell your friend I say YES YES but then Soren and Nora have to really take it to all the Ana and Christians they come across. The real kinksters and the vanilla kinksters who will Top. Laughing Laughing


The Siren kinksters would definitely be scarier! lol I really don't know how you'd dress up as either and not sure I would want to see, haha

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
[I'm still irritated this author has more freedom to write her characters than Presents authors who have to write charcters I have to relate to! I get surveys from Harlequin asking if I can relate to the hero/heroine when I'm more interested in a compelling read.


Erika, when I read that quote from the Harlequin rep that said that readers must be able to say feel they'd make the same choices as the characters, etc. I thought no wonder their books have become so bland. I think Fifty shook things up a bit and they realized that's not the case and hopefully more variety will be allowed.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Judyblueeyes



Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 163
Location: Great Lakes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:


Ah. That explains her opinion you posted.

I'm still irritated this author has more freedom to write her characters than Presents authors who have to write charcters I have to relate to! I get surveys from Harlequin asking if I can relate to the hero/heroine when I'm more interested in a compelling read.


I am not sure I understand completely, but I think i am ignorant of Harlequins apparent demand of authors material. Which reminds me of that Sarah Bareilles' Love Song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi7Yh16dA0w in which she sings to her record company to F-off if they think they can tell her what type of songs to right.

Anyway back on topic, I think publishing is changing so in the future we the reader will have so many more choices. I look at all the small publishing and novella's being sent out into the ether of the internet and we should be able to find many jewels in the future. (and yes I hate the little novella's that are only part of a story or are sold in small installements so before you know it you have spent a fortune for a so so story!)

I love reading stories that I can't relate to or relate only in small ways, it really pushes me. It is like coming up with new fun things to talk about with hubby on a long drive. We have been married almost 30 years, he has know me almost 3/4 of my life, he doesn't need me to tell him stories of what he has done with me, he wantst to hear about my life or thoughts when he isn't with me. I hope that analogy makes sense. Confused and I think book publishers will figure that out too. Not to mention the next generation coming up is much more open and Kinky (whatever label you want to tag it with) so even if publishers hold to their "relate" mission, what is relateable is moving to a broader range.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:


I don't know if she currently does. Her boyfriend is the author of Fifty Shades of Earl Grey. But she does answer question on Goodreads discussions and often refers to her experiences. Apparently Soren is based on her Dom (although i am pretty sure she said not a priest, but didn't say not a Minister !?! now I think about that)



I haven't read the book, but I have to say, I get kind of icked out when I have to picture the author and in this case, her boyfriend jumping through all the sexual hoops together instead of just letting it stay with the fictional characters. I remember Laurell K. Hamilton doing the same thing. Not a good visual.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
[I love reading stories that I can't relate to or relate only in small ways, it really pushes me. It is like coming up with new fun things to talk about with hubby on a long drive. We have been married almost 30 years, he has know me almost 3/4 of my life, he doesn't need me to tell him stories of what he has done with me, he wantst to hear about my life or thoughts when he isn't with me. I hope that analogy makes sense. Confused and I think book publishers will figure that out too. Not to mention the next generation coming up is much more open and Kinky (whatever label you want to tag it with) so even if publishers hold to their "relate" mission, what is relateable is moving to a broader range. [/color]


Judy, I can't find the quote now but basically there was an interview with the head of Harlequin (somehow Fifty related) and they said that each book has to meet the criteria that the reader would make the same decisions as the characters. This they felt is part of what kept their readers coming back year after year. Shocked They said something about having to reexamine things. I think the success of FSoG has opened their eyes to this ridiculous guideline, most women in real life would run far and fast from Christian and would not do as Ana did but hell that is the fun of fiction! You can read something that doesn't even come close to your life while in the safety and comfort of your living room couch.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Judyblueeyes



Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 163
Location: Great Lakes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Judy, I can't find the quote now but basically there was an interview with the head of Harlequin (somehow Fifty related) and they said that each book has to meet the criteria that the reader would make the same decisions as the characters. This they felt is part of what kept their readers coming back year after year. Shocked They said something about having to reexamine things. I think the success of FSoG has opened their eyes to this ridiculous guideline, most women in real life would run far and fast from Christian and would not do as Ana did but hell that is the fun of fiction! You can read something that doesn't even come close to your life while in the safety and comfort of your living room couch.

Linda


OMG that is even crazier! I hope everyone that knew that editor (or whatever title they held) gave them a big laugh in their face for having said that! And I do mean everyone, endless teasing is the least they deserve.

But then I say, whos the fool, the one that said/believes that or the ones that buy the books that don't feel the need for creative writing??? Of course we all like to read some stories that we feel like we share similiar character traits or somehow identify with (which I would guess would give a publisher a huge range of different plots and themes to work with, because WE ARE NOT ALL EVEN CLOSE to being the same women) But I am pretty sure some of us enjoy reading books that maybe don't connect with our life.

It just hit me, i wonder if that statement was an insult to the level or intelligence of their consumer??? You know like "they" aren't suffisticated enough to go beyond their little world. Talking down to them.... I would have to see the article. But as usually my mind is all over this train of thought....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, I found it for you and actually The Siren is mentioned as well.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/06/how-fifty-shades-of-grey-is-shaking-up-the-business-of-the-romance-genre.html

What gets me is who is actually making the decision of what most women would agree with? Also seems patronizing that they think we only want to be spoon fed certain scenarios. I think the success of Fifty rocked their safe little world where no coloring outside the lines was allowed.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Judyblueeyes



Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 163
Location: Great Lakes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Judy, I found it for you and actually The Siren is mentioned as well.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/06/how-fifty-shades-of-grey-is-shaking-up-the-business-of-the-romance-genre.html

What gets me is who is actually making the decision of what most women would agree with? Also seems patronizing that they think we only want to be spoon fed certain scenarios. I think the success of Fifty rocked their safe little world where no coloring outside the lines was allowed.

Linda


OK, thanks Linda. So I am almost crying with laughter thinking about YOU, and how you might not of agree with any discission Nora made except before the book began in leaving Soren, but somehow "The protagonist of every book Harlequin puts out has to pass an editorial smell test as being “realistic.” “The reader needs to feel like she would have made the same decisions as the character, no matter how far out the scenario is,” says Susan Litman, who edits novels for the publisher" in this case I did agree more often than not, but I don't think you did???? so what does that mean about the publisher???

I didn't think the statement was talking down, so that was refreshing, but I am still confused how that test works???
I have to add, I am not sure the publishers think they need to spoon feed only certain plot lines but more likely because they publish over 100 books a month there just isn't enough orginal material to put out.

I also thinking that formally tatoo stuff will get a voice because of the need for new/or the less travel plots. The article was so right about eReaders/electronic devices changing the sales of certain genres but I also think they increase our reading consumption. I know in the year I have had my Vox I have read maybe 30% more books then I did when I had to get hardcopy material. It goes everywhere with me and if i am waiting anywhere I pull it out and read. I also often finish one book and start trolling for new books or start right to something i have waiting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:


OK, thanks Linda. So I am almost crying with laughter thinking about YOU, and how you might not of agree with any discission Nora made except before the book began in leaving Soren, but somehow "The protagonist of every book Harlequin puts out has to pass an editorial smell test as being “realistic.” “The reader needs to feel like she would have made the same decisions as the character, no matter how far out the scenario is,” says Susan Litman, who edits novels for the publisher" in this case I did agree more often than not, but I don't think you did???? so what does that mean about the publisher???


No, I pretty much didn't agree with most of the decisions Nora made but readers are so different, how can they decide what we would and wouldn't agree with when we don't even agree with each other? Lol. If they would have used me as the test The Siren wouldn't have been published and you and the many readers that enjoyed it would have missed out.

Quote:
I didn't think the statement was talking down, so that was refreshing, but I am still confused how that test works???
I have to add, I am not sure the publishers think they need to spoon feed only certain plot lines but more likely because they publish over 100 books a month there just isn't enough orginal material to put out.


My point was that if this 'test' wasn't part of their system there would be more variety and originality. They think they're so sure what we want to read and were shocked at the success of FSoG, next thing they're doing is sending out surveys to their customers asking if they'd read Fifty Shades and what they thought of it. I guess they're updating the test? Lol. So no, as a reader I don't want to be only spoon fed certain types of characters and plots they've decided I'll agree with. I used to have the Presents line automatically sent to my house with each new release, years ago but Erika is right, they toned the heroes down.

Quote:
I also thinking that formally tatoo stuff will get a voice because of the need for new/or the less travel plots. The article was so right about eReaders/electronic devices changing the sales of certain genres but I also think they increase our reading consumption. I know in the year I have had my Vox I have read maybe 30% more books then I did when I had to get hardcopy material. It goes everywhere with me and if i am waiting anywhere I pull it out and read. I also often finish one book and start trolling for new books or start right to something i have waiting.


Yes, digital publishing has been fantastic for readers! We get to try out lots of books that might not have adhered to mainstream publisher's standards. It's also opening the eyes of publishers to the fact that not only certain kinds of books are going to be successful and new authors have a chance to get their books read. I have really enjoyed the fresh feeling I get from the less experienced authors. So many if the authors named 'brilliant' in the romance genre bore me to tears.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
erika



Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 501

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
erika wrote:
[I'm still irritated this author has more freedom to write her characters than Presents authors who have to write charcters I have to relate to! I get surveys from Harlequin asking if I can relate to the hero/heroine when I'm more interested in a compelling read.


Erika, when I read that quote from the Harlequin rep that said that readers must be able to say feel they'd make the same choices as the characters, etc. I thought no wonder their books have become so bland. I think Fifty shook things up a bit and they realized that's not the case and hopefully more variety will be allowed.

Linda


I remember reading that quote and thought the same as you.
I'm still not seeing a change as yet maybe in the next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PWNN



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 912

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"The protagonist of every book Harlequin puts out has to pass an editorial smell test as being “realistic.”


Uh huh. The Harlequin Presents line with it's marriage blackmailing billionaires and 30 yr old mistress/secret baby hording erstwhile virgins just scream realistic. Laughing
_________________
"My safe word is monkey"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group