AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reading More but Learning Less?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eliza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reading More but Learning Less? Reply with quote

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/10/22/reading-more-but-learning-less
dick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The series of interesting essays all seem to come back to the same point:
If one wants to be informed, he can be; if he doesn't make that choice, neither availability nor extensiveness matter much. Or: you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
I recall a rather vituperative discussion with a young student about her research paper, which I flunked. I had explained beforehand that most internet sources were questionable unless the credentials of the author gave them some validity. All of her sources were from the internet; some of the authors, it turned out, were other students who had posted their research papers as sources for students writing research papers--a questionable bit of charity.
It was, and I suppose still is, a common belief of students, that if something were in print, whether on paper or the net, it was therefore factual and valid. I have an elder sister who is equally credulous, though, so I shouldn't single out students.
As one of the essayists pointed out, information alone is not enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: