AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Fifty Shades of Grey movie and Fun Chat! Thread #2
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Fifty Shades of Grey movie and Fun Chat! Thread #2 Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, the author posted I think 3 chapters so far of Grace's POV. You can find the link if you look below the Christian POV chapters and I think below the music play list. Right there on the right margin.

so Surprise you have 3 new chapters of FSoG spin off to read!!! It was such a surprise when I looked and saw that last time I was reading Christians, it was like a nice present, because like you posted I want to read a few chapters at a time. As I have said many many times before I am not good at waiting when I am on a roll with something. I want it all NOW. Thank God for TiVo, I can wait until a show builds up in the cue then have a night of a show. (Lost, Once Upon a Time, Castle, Mentalist, supernatural, etc etc)


Ohh I see it now, cool! I've been reading this on my iphone recently and it didn't catch my eye. I will read it and bet back to you on the pov that Christian's mother loved him so much, etc. To me it sounds like pouring salt in an open wound because she let so many horrible things happen to him while she was lost to addiction, what difference does it make to say she loved him? Anyway, I like this author's take on Christian but it remains to be seen how I think she does with the other characters, haha

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey movie and Fun Chat! Thread #2 Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:


Ohh I see it now, cool! I've been reading this on my iphone recently and it didn't catch my eye. I will read it and bet back to you on the pov that Christian's mother loved him so much, etc. To me it sounds like pouring salt in an open wound because she let so many horrible things happen to him while she was lost to addiction, what difference does it make to say she loved him? Anyway, I like this author's take on Christian but it remains to be seen how I think she does with the other characters, haha

Linda


So, Christian's biological mother has a POV? I don't think I'd want to read that, since her actions were so wrong and he sufferend because of her. Grace's POV...maybe. I really enjoyed her as a character.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Judyblueeyes



Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 163
Location: Great Lakes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey movie and Fun Chat! Thread #2 Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Linda in sw va wrote:


Ohh I see it now, cool! I've been reading this on my iphone recently and it didn't catch my eye. I will read it and bet back to you on the pov that Christian's mother loved him so much, etc. To me it sounds like pouring salt in an open wound because she let so many horrible things happen to him while she was lost to addiction, what difference does it make to say she loved him? Anyway, I like this author's take on Christian but it remains to be seen how I think she does with the other characters, haha

Linda


So, Christian's biological mother has a POV? I don't think I'd want to read that, since her actions were so wrong and he sufferend because of her. Grace's POV...maybe. I really enjoyed her as a character.


No it is Grace's POV, not the crackheads. But the chapter 3 of Grace's has a lot about his mother really loving him. and either I was in a bad mood when I was reading it and got it wrong, but when I read Grace waxing on about the crackheads love for her son it just made me almost sick to my stomach.

In reality love doesn't even enter the equation for these kids ( I said it all before and it just makes my stomach turn and I am going to stop before I get myself wound up again)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey movie and Fun Chat! Thread #2 Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:




No it is Grace's POV, not the crackheads. But the chapter 3 of Grace's has a lot about his mother really loving him. and either I was in a bad mood when I was reading it and got it wrong, but when I read Grace waxing on about the crackheads love for her son it just made me almost sick to my stomach.

In reality love doesn't even enter the equation for these kids ( I said it all before and it just makes my stomach turn and I am going to stop before I get myself wound up again)[/color]




I wouldn't buy into the biological mother being redeemed in any way. I guess I would interested in Grace's take on it, but not to take it any further in the story. Darn it...I'm going to have to make time to read the fanfic. You've got me interested again!
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 49 Influential Men of 2012, Christian is number 13! Clinton is #3 and James Bond is #1 Laughing

The titular hero of Fifty Shades Of Grey, Christian Grey, is something of a validation for all of us who’ve ever been told that we’re getting women all wrong. Let’s just put it this way: The man is no “let’s just do Netflix” softie who she claims to have finally realized she needs. He doesn’t help her make quinoa loaf for the potluck or run to Rite-Aid when it’s that time of the month. Instead, he’s more of a Sex and the City de Sade, the kind of guy who makes women sign binding (pun intended) sexual contracts and maintains a “Red Room of Pain” in his beautifully appointed home. Besides that, he’s also super rich, has a helicopter and “copper sex hair.” We knew it, ladies! We knew it all along!

Read more: http://www.askmen.com/specials/2012_top_49/13-christian-grey.html#ixzz28vYlXCk7

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kmredd



Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 218
Location: washington state

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm scared.



http://entertainment.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981689607
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a brief clip from Yahoo on Christian making the list -

Bond wasn’t the only fictional character to make the Top 49 either: Christian Grey came in at No. 13, proving that men everywhere have benefited from their spouses’ lower inhibitions and more open minds after reading 50 Shades of Grey.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/why-james-bond-is-askmen%E2%80%99s-most-influential-man-of-2012.html

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmredd wrote:
I'm scared.


http://entertainment.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981689607


Why?!

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kmredd



Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 218
Location: washington state

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like they aren't going to stick to the book as much as I'd like. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmredd wrote:
It sounds to me like they aren't going to stick to the book as much as I'd like. Sad


Ohh I see. Well probably not considering all the books to movies I've seen but some work out better than others. Hopefully with E.L. James looking on it will be ok, doesn't she have some kind of script approval? I don't think an author has ever had this much input! So hopefully that will help.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Judyblueeyes



Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 163
Location: Great Lakes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not that excited about the movie, therefore I guess not worried about how they bring it to screen. I think I am jaded by so many of the book I have enjoyed reading being butchered into a movie. So since Peter Jackson hasn't been picked I hold out no hope (I am sure there was no hope he would want to make the movie, but his are the few exceptions to good books, bad movies)

I once read something from an Author about how they kept the H/h descriptions general because they wanted the read to paint their own picture. I never gave it much thought, but maybe that is part of the problem with movies of books I have read not matching the visual I saw when I read the story.

Not to mention just bad directing, script, casting effecting the final product.

Just of the top of my head I am going to say Bridget Jones Diary was one of the few Chit Lit's to get it right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props for your Fifty Shades Halloweeen Costume! Laughing

http://magazine.foxnews.com/love/50-props-your-50-shades-grey-costume

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
I am not that excited about the movie, therefore I guess not worried about how they bring it to screen. I think I am jaded by so many of the book I have enjoyed reading being butchered into a movie. So since Peter Jackson hasn't been picked I hold out no hope (I am sure there was no hope he would want to make the movie, but his are the few exceptions to good books, bad movies)

I once read something from an Author about how they kept the H/h descriptions general because they wanted the read to paint their own picture. I never gave it much thought, but maybe that is part of the problem with movies of books I have read not matching the visual I saw when I read the story.

Not to mention just bad directing, script, casting effecting the final product.

Just of the top of my head I am going to say Bridget Jones Diary was one of the few Chit Lit's to get it right.


I loved how they did The Notebook, Time Traveler's Wife wasn't bad and 9 1/2 Weeks was so much better than the book. Hunger Games I actually liked the movie better than the book. Twilight - they did the best they could, it wasn't terrible but not even close to the books as far as enjoyment goes. it's hit or miss but I'm still excited! I can't help myself, hope springs eternal I guess. Embarassed

You're right in forming your own image of the characters in your mind and movies are always a disappointment that way. This is also similar to why I can't do audio books, I like to have my own idea of how the characters speak and when I listen to an actor/reader doing it they never sound as I imagine.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
And a brief clip from Yahoo on Christian making the list -

Bond wasn’t the only fictional character to make the Top 49 either: Christian Grey came in at No. 13, proving that men everywhere have benefited from their spouses’ lower inhibitions and more open minds after reading 50 Shades of Grey.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/why-james-bond-is-askmen%E2%80%99s-most-influential-man-of-2012.html

Linda



Wow...Love the book or hate it, it certainly is influential. Made a mark.big time.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:




I loved how they did The Notebook, Time Traveler's Wife wasn't bad and 9 1/2 Weeks was so much better than the book. Hunger Games I actually liked the movie better than the book. Twilight - they did the best they could, it wasn't terrible but not even close to the books as far as enjoyment goes. it's hit or miss but I'm still excited! I can't help myself, hope springs eternal I guess. Embarassed

You're right in forming your own image of the characters in your mind and movies are always a disappointment that way. This is also similar to why I can't do audio books, I like to have my own idea of how the characters speak and when I listen to an actor/reader doing it they never sound as I imagine.

Linda



I'm always hopeful when a movie is made out of a book that I love. I liked The Notebook as a movie too. I liked the book as well, but it was very short novel and they brought out the love story so well of the couple when they were young. That really didn't happen as much in the book, the concentration was on the couple when they had aged. And the ending was totally different in the movie. I really didn't like it, because it was so final. The book gave hope that the couple still had time together. So, I'm really hoping the writer can reach in and grab the love story that the fans of the book connected with. I don't expect the movie to be all about sex, wouldn't want it to be, but it will have to be included in some way. Right now, I'm just anxious to know who will play Christian and Ana. I'm trying to not get my hopes up too high for that...keeping an open mind and all.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group