AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBC's COPPER
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trish B

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: BBC's COPPER Reply with quote

Did anyone else catch the premiere of BBC America's Copper last night? In case you're not familiar, it is set in 1864 New York City, primarily in the extremely poor and gritty Five Points section of the city. The residents of Five Points are primarily Irish immigrants with a smattering of English and freed former slaves among others.

The main characters are a trio of Irish-American policemen, a former slave who works as a sort of medical examiner/early CSI type of thing (he apparently spent some time working in a morgue in Paris) and the son of a wealthy man who served with one of the policemen in the Civil War.

Did anyone else see it and what did you think? I'm totally hooked and watched the encore presentation they showed immediately following the initial airing. I think there are many secrets to be revealed about some of these characters and I can't wait to see if I'm right!
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some ads for the show and then completely forgot to see when it was going to be on. I'll have to check to see when they'll be showing reruns.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The premier is showing in a couple of minutes here on Showcase:-). I'm going to watch it.
Audrey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was pretty good, definitely going to catch at least the first few and give it a fair chance. Especially since the setting is so different from the same old same old crime procedural. I made a list the other day of the shows I like watching, which shows are returning and which shows are done or cancelled, and there were more cancelled than returning. I'm going to need a few replacements.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it showed great potential too - and *laughing* it didn't shy away from full backal male nudity. I'm going to keep watching for a while too. I'm curious as to whether each week will be a different case or whether they will continue with the case from the first week - either way it should prove interesting.

And I do have a weakness for that accent.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I watched the second episode of Copper last night and I have to say this show has me hooked. They showed a “making of” episode before a repeat of the series first episode and then the second episode. So that was 3 hours of this show I watched and I found it all very interesting.

One of the things I was kind of keen on was one of the stars, Kyle Schmidt who plays a Major cashiered out of the Union Army because he lost a leg, is the same actor who played Henry Fitzroy, the tortured bastard vampire son of Henry VIII in Blood Ties, a show I was mad about a few years ago.

Already Copper is fascinating as a period cop show where the main character, Kevin Corcoran, plays an Irish cop in New York’s poor district during the Civil War. He has a very tragic kind of past, he wife is missing and his young daughter was murdered. Between working his cases, he’s trying to find out what happened to his wife. He is helped along by two other cops who ‘have his back’ and is romantically involved with a madam of a brothel. He has some upper class friends, including the aforementioned former vampire, now the son of a Very Wealthy Financier and a very wealthy widow. The actor who plays “Corky” is not too shabby to watch, not too shabby at all.

It seems to be a very intense gritty crime drama and it’s very much a tale of the times when there was no such thing as political correctness and cops were to get the job done without the tiptoeing around the system the way they have to nowadays and there are definitely gray areas in how they accomplish justice.

I can see Sunday’s at 9:00 will be filled with this show now that Game of Thrones is done with for the season.
Audrey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to wait until I get back home to watch episode 2. I can't believe I didn't recognize Kyle Schmid! I loved Blood Ties but it's obviously time for another watching.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audrey wrote:
I've got to wait until I get back home to watch episode 2. I can't believe I didn't recognize Kyle Schmid! I loved Blood Ties but it's obviously time for another watching.

I didn't recognize him either *g*. It was only because I saw his name on the making of episode and recognized it. Right off I wondered who his character was and when I clued in, it was mainly his voice I remembered. He doesn't look anything like Henry in Coppers.
Trish B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many questions rattling around in my head! First, shock over what Eva did to Molly in ep 3!!!!! Some of my questions are:

What's Elizabeth Haverford really up to? Why is she meeting with a Confederate soldier? Why her efforts in trying to "rescue/reform" Annie (she hardly seems the maternal type)?

And oh, Annie! That child went from sympathetic character to downright nasty (though given her short life experiences it stands to reason she'd be messed up) and I wonder what she will get up to next.

And what happened to Corky's wife and daughter? Did Ellen perhaps have an affair while Kevin was away? Perhaps with Frances?????

And the dynamic between Mr Morehouse senior and junior is really interesting to watch.

This series has really sucked me in!

There's also a new drama series set in Victorian London called Ripper Street coming this fall to BBC American that looks promising. Matthew MacFadyen stars among others.
Audrey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All caught up! I'm hooked on this series now. It seems to have an excellent balance of storyline and action, and character development.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am SO gone for this series. I'm staying with my sisters for a few days and am hoping to convert them.

I was torn by what happened to creepy little Annie. On the one hand I felt so awful at seeing her returned to her stepfather/husband/abuser. On the other though, she really was terrifying.

And when we saw what Eva did to Molly, that was also very horrifying on Eva's part. She's not one I'd want to cross. I wonder what she will try with Elizabeth when she finds out about her and Corky. And the jury is out on Elizabeth. She lied about what she did with Annie. One can only imagine Corky's reaction if he knew the truth.

And I find Robert Morehouse a very mysterious kind of guy too. Just when you think he's doing something very wrong, it turns around and he does something good.

And Corky!! I can see why all the women are attracted to him, even creepy Annie. He has that tortured hero with a lot of gray in him down very good. The fact that I find him very fine to look upon doesn't hurt things at all. And last weeks ending... I sat there when it was over and said out loud, "Oh Myyyyyyy!!!"
Trish B

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!!! Shocking end to last night's episode of COPPER. We now know where Corky's wife Ellen is, but there are many, many questions to be answered! Francis has A LOT of 'splaining to do. Robert Morehouse saved NYC from a firey fate, but is Elizabeth a Southern sympathizer? And what can be done about the troublesome (and troubled) Annie?
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trish B wrote:
OMG!!! Shocking end to last night's episode of COPPER. We now know where Corky's wife Ellen is, but there are many, many questions to be answered! Francis has A LOT of 'splaining to do.

He certainly does doesn't he? All that time he spent helping Corky try and find out what happened to Ellen and he knew all along? And I wouldn't believe Eva for a second,mbut she sure had some interesting things to say about Francis didn't she? I wonder how Corky will feel about banging her all this time. Very bad I hope! After some of the crimes thet solve, I'm kind of surprised they took Molly's death at face value.

Quote:
Robert Morehouse saved NYC from a firey fate, but is Elizabeth a Southern sympathizer? And what can be done about the troublesome (and troubled) Annie?

I was visiting my sister in the States and it's a week ahead there, so I saw the episode you are talking about but missed the one before it so I kind of missed that storyline. So I also missed how Annie got back and the fallout
Corky had with Elizabeth over Annie. I just find her very broken and very scary - Annie that is. I still haven't figured out Elizabeth yet.
Trish B

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:

He certainly does doesn't he? All that time he spent helping Corky try and find out what happened to Ellen and he knew all along? And I wouldn't believe Eva for a second,mbut she sure had some interesting things to say about Francis didn't she? I wonder how Corky will feel about banging her all this time. Very bad I hope! After some of the crimes thet solve, I'm kind of surprised they took Molly's death at face value.

I agree that it's not easy to square Corky's or Francis' usually dogged determination with their rather easy acceptance of Molly's suicide. Molly just wasn't the suicidal type and they both should have known that. Eva is pretty evil and I think she's trying to make Francis look bad in Kevin's eyes. As for Francis, I can't decide if he's a murderer or just trying to shield Kevin from unpleasant truths.

I was visiting my sister in the States and it's a week ahead there, so I saw the episode you are talking about but missed the one before it so I kind of missed that storyline. So I also missed how Annie got back and the fallout
Corky had with Elizabeth over Annie. I just find her very broken and very scary - Annie that is. I still haven't figured out Elizabeth yet.

It was creepy watching Annie try and replace Kevin's wife Shocked
What happened with Kevin & Elizabeth was that Annie's supposed father showed up at Elizabeth's house and Elizabeth let him take her. She they lied to Kevin and said that Annie was living with a family in California. Obviously Kevin found out the truth and, of course, saved Annie and showed Elizabeth his extreme displeasure that she had lied to him.

Elizabeth, in the upcoming episode (finale?) meets with the famous Booth brothers - including John Wilkes, and she seemed to recognize the rebel soldier Robert met with. The last episode looks like it's going to be great!
Trish B

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, Copper has been renewed for a second season!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: