AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones - AMAZING!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was pain and mostly because the set-up for a good read was there. the hero and herione were likeable. she came up with a good story arch full of murder, drug cartel, art theft and a former Navy SEAL hero to help save the Herione that found herself deep into the drama because of a clients dead so to be ex-wife's JOURNEL. that is the only comment element, thankfully. But the way she just couldn't deliver the suspense is what has me so worried. I have my fingers crossed, but to be honest I might not purchase the next one until I hear if some of you think it is worth it. I just don't want to be disappointed.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, I thought she did a very good job of upping the creep factor of that guy in the storage unit. If I had no other reason to buy her next book, I would to just find out about him. Very mysterious and I've got questions I need answered.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Judy, I thought she did a very good job of upping the creep factor of that guy in the storage unit. If I had no other reason to buy her next book, I would to just find out about him. Very mysterious and I've got questions I need answered.

Feel the same way and I'm so excited for the next one! When it comes to a series of books I usually like one more than the others as well and it's usually the first, that moment of discovery.

I didn't get far enough into her others to judge, they just felt like a 'series' romance formula to me. blah. I'm getting so I need an edge, mainstream just isn't cutting it anymore.

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I said I wasn't going to jump right and purchase then next in the series, but I was thinking about the next book (sorry can't remember the name) hoping that it was good, I need a less dramatic emotionally taxing story to read and If I Were You did come to mind. I thought there had been some blog or something that said it might be coming out early. Does anyone know anything? or is Feb still the month.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, this was posted on her blog so it sounds like her new publisher is going to try and get the next books out quicker, I sure hope so.

I too and running out of stuff to read and I'm picky so i don't even have a TBR pile right now. I've plowed through everything out there that I know of that seems interesting.

http://www.lisareneejones.com/2012/09/13/my-news-has-arrived/

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Judy, this was posted on her blog so it sounds like her new publisher is going to try and get the next books out quicker, I sure hope so.

I too and running out of stuff to read and I'm picky so i don't even have a TBR pile right now. I've plowed through everything out there that I know of that seems interesting.

http://www.lisareneejones.com/2012/09/13/my-news-has-arrived/

Linda

if you try another Lisa renee jones book let me know how it goes. I might try another of her books while I wait for Feb. with the hope that it goes better than that free eBook.

I need a sure thing right now so I just started an author with whom I know that I am going to get a nice story, with characters that don't raise any question about their morality (couldn't help myself, said with a huge smile on my face) and at the end of the story everyone that should have a happy ending gets it. Although now I think about it I think one of Sophie Kinsella's books did have some question as to happy ending and morality...but here is hoping for a nice easy happy story.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
[
if you try another Lisa renee jones book let me know how it goes. I might try another of her books while I wait for Feb. with the hope that it goes better than that free eBook.

I need a sure thing right now so I just started an author with whom I know that I am going to get a nice story, with characters that don't raise any question about their morality (couldn't help myself, said with a huge smile on my face) and at the end of the story everyone that should have a happy ending gets it. Although now I think about it I think one of Sophie Kinsella's books did have some question as to happy ending and morality...but here is hoping for a nice easy happy story.

Based on the two freebies - I don't plan on actually buying a Lisa Renee Jones book until Being Me comes out! So I probably will not be much help there, haha. Truthfully, until Fifty Shades I had kind of fallen out of the romance genre, reading mostly Urban Fantasy. Fifty Shades got me going again and then I found Kristen Ashley which was a pleasure with those alpha males.

What kinds of books do you like?

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read almost anything with the large exception of Fantasy, and very little Sci Fi. I go through big spurts. I like if I pick up a biography then I am stuck reading other biographies on the same person or on persons mentioned in the orginal or subsiqent books. Crazy, but I like history in the context of peoples who make it or become it. I also tend to find authors who's writing style pleases me and then I will read most of their work.
About a year ago I decided to start my Novel Vacation after I picked up Julie Garwood's The Bride. It was in hard back and I had no idea what type of book it was and I just laughed so much. So I sort of renamed my vacation a Romance Novel Vacation. I just decided I was going to unplug and read, light, happy, and easy books. I wanted to vacation in the land of make believe where even when bad things happen you know at the end all will be right with the story world. And it has been wonderful! (yes, I have read a handful that don't fit that bill and I think you know one right off the top of your head. Razz )

I read all of Julie Garwood except her new one. I read all of Julia Quinn, also with the exception of her latest. Eloisa James, about maybe half of hers. Then a bunch of different chit lit. Really enjoyed Sophie Kinsella's I've Got Your Number.

I think for me the writing is the most important thing. The author has to do it well, I can tell the difference between well writen and adverage. If that makes sense. I think there are great writers in all areas and I can read almost anything about anything if I appreciate the story telling style. I never read the Hobbit because I don't need pages on pages of detail, but I like an author that has the ability to put the detail in the story and then if the details and deep characters that are true to life, you have me and I am in love, almost regardless of what the story is about. It is like looking at a painting and it not being something that you would normal enjoy but you look at it and see all the skill and bow to their ability.

So any suggestions of authors, lay them on me. I have my eReader and I first look through the library and then if I am desperate I will purchase. Oh, like Cindy Gerard, can't think of the series she has that I fell upon and I keep waiting hoping the library will purchase some of her stuff so I can finish the series because I don't want to spend $30 more dollars to get then next 3 books.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy - I loved those early Garwoods, read them years ago! I dubbed the heroes 'teddy bear' alphas because they were tough on the outside but to the heroines they were always good. Loved the quirky/funny heroines too.

I don't think I'd have much to recommend you right now because I'm sort of in a different place with my reading as far as tastes go. Not reading a lot of romance but when I do I find I'm more drawn to the 'less polished' writers, although not technically perfect I am finding the characters and plots are simply more fun, there's a fresh feeling about them even though the writing isn't stellar and I really enjoy them.

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy - I loved those early Garwoods, read them years ago! I dubbed the heroes 'teddy bear' alphas because they were tough on the outside but to the heroines they were always good. Loved the quirky/funny heroines too.

I don't think I'd have much to recommend you right now because I'm sort of in a different place with my reading as far as tastes go. Not reading a lot of romance but when I do I find I'm more drawn to the 'less polished' writers, although not technically perfect I am finding the characters and plots are simply more fun, there's a fresh feeling about them even though the writing isn't stellar and I really enjoy them.

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeling a little better about Author Lisa. I downloaded a book from the library that had 5 authors short stories and Lisa's was a good little story, I think 9 chapters, a novella. It was pretty good, so I am feeling hopeful again. I am going to look for another book by her after I move through a couple more I have downloaded from the library.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
Feeling a little better about Author Lisa. I downloaded a book from the library that had 5 authors short stories and Lisa's was a good little story, I think 9 chapters, a novella. It was pretty good, so I am feeling hopeful again. I am going to look for another book by her after I move through a couple more I have downloaded from the library.

There's another free one on Amazon right now, think its one of the Tall, Dark books. I'm out of town so can't check which one I downloaded.

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: