AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nalini Singh - Archangel's Storm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natalie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Nalini Singh - Archangel's Storm Reply with quote

I have an almost the opposite reaction as the reviewer. Dmitry's book is my favorite in the series while this one is just ok. I felt the comming together part was a tad too short and underdeveloped. It's the same issue I had with Raphael and Elena: when a super powerful ancient being who has not allowed himself to fall in love for centuries suddenly does it, I want it to be more convincing please (we're not talking about your typical Regency rake after all). At least with Dmitry, it was more obvious. On a plus side, Jason didn't utter any teenage horny crap that almost ruined Raphael's mystique.

I do like it that Mahiya wasn't a completely passive victim to her family's cruelty: she actually planned to escape, taught herself some martial arts, etc.
desiderata

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie, I agree with you. I really enjoyed Dmitri's story, while this was lukewarm and just ok. I liked Jason and Mahiya but didn't feel there was any real chemistry between them. The storyline was interesting, the romance not so much.
Natalie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, and

SPOILERS

the situation with her mother was obvious from the start.

I actually found Nevriti an interesting character, I hope she'll get her own book. I'm tired of nice or warrior maiden type characters, give me someone with a nastier streak Smile
msaggie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Archangel's Storm by Nalini Singh Reply with quote

I quite liked the latest Guild Hunter Archangel's Storm, and concur with Jean Wan's review here at AAR. There are gory scenes, probably to the same calibre as Ilona Andrews' the Edge and Kate Daniels series (maybe slightly less gory than some of those). I was disappointed with the previous book (Dmitri's,Archangel's Blade ) and I think my complaint about Archangel's Storm is that I wish there was more of Jason and Mahiya, and less of Dmitri and Honor (I didn't see why they needed to be in the book at all, as they were not at all integral to the plot, and took up precious pages). I would probably rank this one as my second favourite of the series after Angels' Blood.
Outlandish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Archangel's Storm by Nalini Singh Reply with quote

msaggie wrote:
I quite liked the latest Guild Hunter Archangel's Storm, and concur with Jean Wan's review here at AAR. There are gory scenes, probably to the same calibre as Ilona Andrews' the Edge and Kate Daniels series (maybe slightly less gory than some of those). I was disappointed with the previous book (Dmitri's,Archangel's Blade ) and I think my complaint about Archangel's Storm is that I wish there was more of Jason and Mahiya, and less of Dmitri and Honor (I didn't see why they needed to be in the book at all, as they were not at all integral to the plot, and took up precious pages). I would probably rank this one as my second favourite of the series after Angels' Blood.

Your thoughts mirrored mine; Dmitri's "Archangel's Blade" was a tad disappointing (grade B-). The whole Honor being the reincarnation of Ingrede and retaining Ingrede's memory... Well let's say, I've never bought into 'reincarnation' stories. In the end, I feel that Honor is cheated from being loved for exactly who she is, rather than who she was. Other than that, the story was lovely. Nalini is a master among masters; her works are brilliant!

That aside, I really liked "Archangel's Storm" (grade B+).

Props goes to Nalini for not changing Jason. From beginning to end, Jason is still that reclusive spymaster; what differs lays in his heart (an organ that is still very much healing from his horrid past). I've always been a fan of a TRADITIONALLY ROMANTIC hero (flowers, flowery words, etc.), but that just isn't Jason. And I thank Nalini for not changing that aspect of Jason. His character is very intriguing and so mysterious, I'm glad we got to delve into his past and continue to discover what's in his future!

As for Mahiya, I'm with Jean in her review. She's spot-on in saying "No kickass heroine here, but do not call her a doormat – there’s a difference between strategic endurance and wilful self-subjugation, and Mahiya is merely biding her time"

Mahiya might not be Elena (my favorite heroine of Nalini's creation), but she is no doormat either. Mahiya endured purgatory for hundreds of years, not because she is weak, but because she must or else she dies (death isn't an option, it is a reality for Mahiya). It's a testament of character for Mahiya to endured what she has, only to come out with such optimism. Rather than seek revenge by physically hurting Neha, she chose to seek it through means of living happily.

I can't fault that notion, I think in part because I too live with that MO.
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Jason not changing, I actually felt that he did change - going from avoiding meaningful relationship to actually loving a woman (even without admitting it openly). Why? Sure, Mahiya is a nice, strong woman - but he's met women like her before. There's not enough detail here to make it very credible.
LFL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dmitry's and Honor's book is my favorite in this series so far and one of my all-time favorites by Singh. Jason's book was a B read for me -- very good but not great. I am really looking forward to Holly/Sorrow's book.
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFL wrote:
I am really looking forward to Holly/Sorrow's book.

I can't say I am. The whole "Sorrow" bit, when it popped up in Dmitri's book, struck me as hugely conceited. Who do you think she'll be paired with? My money's on Aodhan or Illium, leaning towards Aodhan. Illium would probably piss her off right now.
LFL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the Sorrow bit either, but I still felt a deep connection to her character. I've heard more than one person speculate that she'll be paired with Venom but I'm not sure about that. I really don't know. Aodhan and Illium don't feel right to me, but I could be totally off the mark.
stl_reader

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming late to the game, but I just finished Archangel's Storm.

I'd say it's in the B or B+ range.

Singh packs a lot of story in her books! I feel like she puts a lot of thought into her Archangel/Vampire universe and where it's going, and if you like the Archangel series, this book definitely moves the story line along. Took me a while to finish it, but it is a worthy addition to the Archangel series.

Other random comments:

I'd say that the romance, while nice, felt almost secondary to the intrigues / politics / warring in Neha's court. Also, Jason's thought that it was nice to be cared about (since he hadn't been since his parents died) didn't make sense, since he'd had at least one other lover who obviously cared about him--and whom he had rejected--when he'd been younger. Whatever.

The gore factor was off-putting for me.

I'm still trying to figure out how Jason got cell coverage (he called Raphael) from a super-remote mountaintop ...

It's a little irritating that the assorted archangels pop up with these new random powers conveniently. Seems kind of a cop-out when Mahiya or whoever suddenly displays a new power just in the nick of time.

Also, I'm starting to think that no matter who the couple is - Raphael/Elena or whoever - it's just a matter of time (centuries? millenia?) before the relationship will disintegrate and one or both will grow mad or vengeful. I mean, it seems like we keep seeing it--live long enough, something messes with your archangel mind. So few archangelic couples really seem to have weathered the centuries intact and happy.

PS - FWIW, I think Venom will be paired with Sorrow, if anyone. We'll probably discover that among her currently unknown powers is the ability to remain immune to Venom's, uh, venom. Whereas I think most women would not be able to survive Venom's poison (released, perhaps, during love-making?), I think she'll be able to. Just a guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: