AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"In Death" series by J D Robb...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallelujah! I'm back on the bandwagon. Picked up Witness in Death and the next four books in succession. No new books coming in from the library, so this is a good time to try to catch up with some of you, who have totally put me to shame.

It's been a decent amount of time since the last book I read (Loyalty..), and already in starting this one, I feel that it's moving rather well. Dick, I don't know how you did it with so many in a row. You must be relentless and very focused--good attributes for a teacher to have. Smile
dick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the third book, I was hooked. I ordered the entire series from half.com and as soon as the order arrived I started book four, because, as I posted earlier, the series is addictive. After a while, I got to thinking of the series as single book, each entry but another chapter. And they read fast for the most part.

That I did read one book after another surprised me too. But the characterization is so consistent, the development of characters so compellling, the mysteries almost always interesting enough, and Eve so fascinating and irritating at the same time--as Roarke often mentions--one is pulled right along.

I'm of the opinion that reading the series straight through is the best way, simply putting out of mind that, when "Delusions" has been read, he'll have to face withdrawal.
Eliza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
...After a while, I got to thinking of the series as single book, each entry but another chapter.

Same for me even though I've read the books as they came out.

Quote:
...the characterization is so consistent, the development of characters so compellling, the mysteries almost always interesting enough, and Eve so fascinating and irritating at the same time...

Eve is at the heart of what keeps me hooked, even though I do indeed look forward to and enjoy all the rest.
dick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and one other thing: In this series, Robb puts great trust in readers. The subleties are left subtle; interpretations are not offered.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
In this series, Robb puts great trust in readers. The subleties are left subtle; interpretations are not offered.

Okay, even with only about 10 books under my belt, I can understand what you're saying. I would not have thought of that; but it's true. And probably helps toward the brevity of each story. Very Happy
Salaisuus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this series. I discovered it when an author I like mentioned it on her blog. I was very confused for the very beginning of the first book, because I was not aware it was set in the future.

I listened to audios, since my library had them all available for downloads. I listened to them all, in order, all in a row, including the shorter stories, and was depressed when I reached the last one available at the time (by my count, I think it was #30 or so, including the shorter things).

This was the second time I ever found a series that got more interesting as I went along, and I did not get tired of the characters or find the plots similar or any of the usual problems I have with series. (The first series I listened to straight through was Stephanie Plum, up through #10).

I adore Eve. I am so happy there is a popular character out there who acts and thinks so similarly to the way I do in so many situations (though I tend to be horrified at the idea of living in a huge city and prefer my neighbors to be cornfields). There need to be more real introverts in books, I think.

edited for typos!
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaisuus wrote:

I adore Eve. I am so happy there is a popular character out there who acts and thinks so similarly to the way I do in so many situations (though I tend to be horrified at the idea of living in a huge city and prefer my neighbors to be cornfields). There need to be more real introverts in books, I think.

edited for typos!

Off Topic, but a lot of my introverted friends have been recommending Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenth one down and a third of the way through the 11th. I really enjoyed Witness in Death and am now into Judgment in Death. In these two books, specifically, I have noticed already a difference in the writing--the stories are more on target, less trivial and definitely more interesting, along with the characters evolving bigtime. If this is the direction for the rest of the books in this series, then I can see the addiction. I literally closed the book when finishing Witness... and opened the pages to Judgment... It seemed the thing to do, as though it were a continuation of the story, which in a way it is, although the homicide case is a totally new one.

Interesting... Shocked
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
Oh, and one other thing: In this series, Robb puts great trust in readers. The subleties are left subtle; interpretations are not offered.

Really good point. I just finished listening to the first three books (after having read them 8 or so years ago), and your point stayed with me. That trust is there from the start. The books have stayed fresh after all this time, and readers are still interested after 35 books in the series--quite an accomplishment.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Tenth one down and a third of the way through the 11th. I really enjoyed Witness in Death and am now into Judgment in Death. In these two books, specifically, I have noticed already a difference in the writing--the stories are more on target, less trivial and definitely more interesting, along with the characters evolving bigtime. If this is the direction for the rest of the books in this series, then I can see the addiction. I literally closed the book when finishing Witness... and opened the pages to Judgment... It seemed the thing to do, as though it were a continuation of the story, which in a way it is, although the homicide case is a totally new one.

Interesting... Shocked

Just my opinion, but I think the books from Judgment to Portrait are the best run of the series.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
Just my opinion, but I think the books from Judgment to Portrait are the best run of the series.

Well, there's no doubt in my mind that both Witness... and Judgment... are very well written--stories are tight and the characters jump off the pages. I loved the first three books in the series and kept up with the rest just to stay current. These last two, though, have me riveted to the pages with style and story. If you say they only get better, or at least stay at this pace, I'm in! Very Happy
Eliza

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick once said, the mark of really good writing is when your attention can focus solidly on the story because the writing is that good of a foundation that you can take it for granted. Or something like that--sorry if I didn't get it close enough, dick. Feel free to correct or clarify. Anyway, that's exactly how the In Death series works for me. I forget about the writing and get lost in the story--a rare reading occurrence for me.

What makes me like certain ID books maybe a bit more than others generally depends on plot or parts of plots, for instance, how comfortable or not I am with the type of crime or criminal (the cringe factor), developments with Eve and/or Roarke, and also a terrific continually evolving supporting cast.

Now that I'm listening to these books that I'd already read--something I'd never planned I'd do-- it should be fun to see what if anything pops up differently for me.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
Dick once said, the mark of really good writing is when your attention can focus solidly on the story because the writing is that good of a foundation that you can take it for granted.

That makes perfect sense to me. When the reading is effortless and smooth, the style is working for me. If I'm constantly going back on sentences because the meaning is vague due to sloppiness in writing, or if the prose is choppy, it's so difficult to enjoy what's going on. Not so with these last couple of books--they hummed along as life does. Cool

To all the other posters in this thread who encouraged the reading of this series, a special thanks to you, also. To those of you who said Eve gets better as she goes along, as well as all the characters. That Roarke, who always sounds so perfect, hits a medium without giving up the good part of who he is. That the stories themselves get better as they move away a bit from the main relationship. I just finished Judgment... last night and am looking forward to Betrayal... I am now considering this entire series as one gigantic book that can be picked up and set down at anytime, but there it waits. Very Happy
Eliza

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That the stories themselves get better as they move away a bit from the main relationship.
There's that funny different strokes thing again. I too enjoy the stories but the characters, relationships, and their continuing development are what I like best.

I am now considering this entire series as one gigantic book that can be picked up and set down at anytime
LOL. Just thinking dick said this too--about each book being like a chapter--if I remember correctly that is.

To all the other posters in this thread who encouraged the reading of this series, a special thanks to you, also.
Thank you for starting this terrific thread and sharing your experience. It's lovely to see you and others enjoying these books so much.
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
There's that funny different strokes thing again. I too enjoy the stories but the characters, relationships, and their continuing development are what I like best.

I didn't mean that the series is totally moving away from Eve and Roarke's relationship; because, after all, that's what it's all about. But, with all the other characters and their stories plus the mystery itself, the main relationship has taken a few steps back in details. It's providing the opportunity for more characters' experiences, along with giving more substance to the "mystery of the moment." That's working for me.

Quote:
LOL. Just thinking dick said this too--about each book being like a chapter--if I remember correctly that is.

Dick did say something similarly, didn't he? Sorry I didn't give him the credit. So, I definitely agree with him on that; and, in fact, probably because I read it here in the thread, it popped into my mind to repeat it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: