AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recently Read July - October
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Week to Be Wicked, Tessa Dare (B) - I liked this book better than most Dare novels I've read. It's fun and lighthearted and the hero and heroine both are engaging. I particularly like Colin and enjoyed his emotional growth during this road trip adventure story. I don't though feel that Minerva has much character development other than a series of fairly conventional stereotypes of the bookish spinster with an overabundance of intelligence and underdeveloped sense of her own attractiveness. Once those characteristics are put forth in the first chapter, she remains pretty much the same throughout the story. There is also though for me a more problematic issue with all of Dare's novels in that I never quite feel an emotional connection with her stories or characters. She has all the elements of a good romance novel but the elements nearly always remain superficial. I have never wanted to reread her books and unfortunately, I don't reflect much on them afterwards. I liked this book and had fun reading it, but I put it down quite a bit and had to remind myself to pick it up at nights. I have a feeling that I'll return to Tessa Dare again because I'm always persuaded by positive reviews, but I"m less optimistic that she'll remain anything more than an average or slightly above average read for me.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG wrote:
Code Name Verity A+

"Oct. 11th, 1943—A British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. One of the girls has a chance at survival. The other has lost the game before it's barely begun.

When “Verity” is arrested by the Gestapo, she's sure she doesn’t stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she’s living a spy’s worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution.

As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie, and why she left Maddie in the wrecked fuselage of their plane. On each new scrap of paper, Verity battles for her life, confronting her views on courage and failure and her desperate hope to make it home. But will trading her secrets be enough to save her from the enemy?"

I loved this book. Loved it. And I rarely read YA or anything written in first person. I dont want to say too much to avoid giving away the plot twists, but I read it in one sitting without planning to. I also enjoyed the author notes and bibliography, really shows she did her research.

Based on everyone's recommendations I got this from the library and hope to read it in the next week.

maggie b.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspired by NFL season, I read a few football themed books. None were spectacular, but all were fun.

The Perfect Play by Jaci Burton- This is the book that got a lot of buzz because of it's cover ( exceptionally ripped half naked guy- been done before but it is pretty hot). This is the story of Mick Riley who is instantly taken with Tara, when they accidentally meet because she gets lost at the stadium. Mick was a very likable guy. Stable, self aware, mature, which one does not see often in sports romances. He has a very close family that is supportive and loving. This is where I struggled. He has never had a serious relationship. While he has his own serious issue, that is revealed in the last quarter of the book, he has deal with it and it does not appear to be a reason to avoid a relationship. It did not ring true to me that Mick would be so weary of relationships. While he is taken with Tara because she is different from the women he usually dates, I did not understand what made her special, other than she was not a celebrity(because if that's all it takes, I should be Mrs. Tom Brady).She is a single mother who has her own business, and clearly an accomplished woman.... but she did not do much for me. That said I would probably read the next in the series, which follows baseball star Gavin Riley, because I liked the Riley family.

Fourth and Goal by Jami Davenport- Derek is a third string wide receiver on a pro football team that never lived up to his potential. Rachel is his former high school coach's daughter, who was his close friend for years, but they fell out after they slept together. Rachel also believes Derek is involved in a point shaving scam that ended her father's career. She takes a job taking care of Derek's farm during the season so that she can get him to spill the beans on his involvement. Rachel is also very schooled in football and wants to be a scout. She helps Derek get his game back in a variety of ways. This was a cute book. I liked that Rachel was a football guru and could help Derek professionally. I liked that Derek truly liked and respected Rachel's knowledge. The point shaving scam was an interesting sub plot. It was also clear the author has a lot of foot ball knowledge so the field scenes rang true.

Playing for Keeps by Liz Matis Ryan is a very successful tight end on a pro football team. He has always been attracted to his best friend's sister, Samantha, but never acted on these feelings. Ryan is a playboy who underneath the surfaces feels he is not good enough for Samantha because he grew up an unwanted kid in foster care. Samantha is a professional reporter who had a traumatic experience while reporting in Iraq. She suffers PTSD as a result, and returned home to closer to her family. While every knows about the traumatic event Samantha endured, no one knows the details of what happened to her or about the resulting nightmares and anxiety. Samantha's job covering sports ( her father is a retired sports reporter) and the sexism she is forced to deal with is nicely addressed.
While the " this is a huge conflict of interest, but we can't keep our hands off each other,so lets lamely lie to everyone and keep this on the down low" has been done before, the heroine's trauma and how the relationship helps her cope with her demons was interesting.

Last edited by pwm in mi on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwm in mi wrote:
Inspired by NFL season, I read a few football themed books.

So, pwm in mi, think the Detroit Lions will go the distance this year? Had to ask. Very Happy
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
pwm in mi wrote:
Inspired by NFL season, I read a few football themed books.

So, pwm in mi, think the Detroit Lions will go the distance this year? Had to ask. Very Happy

LOL!

Only if Matt Stafford gets his head out of his rear end!
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lost Duke of Wyndham/Mr. Cavendish, I Presume - Julia Quinn

I am finally getting around to reading this experimental set of companion novels by Quinn. IMO neither book was complete on its own so reading both is really the way to go. I agree w/much of the criticism that there was a lot of repetition which I expected considering the premise. Since I read them back-to-back, I skimmed many repeated scenes. In the end, I would have preferred 1 longer book than 2 separate stories.

It is difficult to treat each book separately, but I liked Mr. Cavendish a little bit better than the Lost Duke, probably because my sympathies were really with Thomas as his world tumbled down around him. And I enjoyed seeing him start to realize who Amelia really was and that he truly had never really "seen" her in all the years they were betrothed. His struggle to discover who he really was w/out the title was very poignant for me. While Jack's life would change drastically, too, on becoming the Duke, I think it was harder on Thomas. I did believe that both couples really did love each other in the end, and I could picture them down the road. I thought both epilogues brought the 2 stories to a satisfying conclusion.

Overall grade: B

Last edited by Tinabelle on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinabelle wrote:
The Lost Duke of Wyndham/Mr. Cavendish, I Presume - Julia QuinnIt is difficult to treat each book separately, but I liked Mr. Cavendish a little bit better than the Lost Duke, probably because my sympathies were really with Thomas as his world tumbled down around him. And I enjoyed seeing him start to realize who Amelia really was and that he truly had never really "seen" her in all the years they were betrothed.

I read them as they were issued, so there was enough of a separation between the two stories for me. I absolutely loved Mr Cavendish, I Presume. I felt that Quinn nailed the personalities down so well and the story about them was just wonderful (even with the occasional repetitions from the first book). I really "felt" Thomas and Amelia and their thoughts.

Last edited by Tee on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Natalie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentleman Undone - Cecilia Grant - B+
Not your typical regency romance, that's for sure.

Gone Girl - Gayle Flynn - B-

Good story, annoying characters (but it's not a romance), and the twist was obvious.

Nalini Singh - Archangel's Storm - B-

Not exactly convincing, but still enjoyable read.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Tinabelle wrote:
The Lost Duke of Wyndham/Mr. Cavendish, I Presume - Julia Quinn It is difficult to treat each book separately, but I liked Mr. Cavendish a little bit better than the Lost Duke, probably because my sympathies were really with Thomas as his world tumbled down around him. And I enjoyed seeing him start to realize who Amelia really was and that he truly had never really "seen" her in all the years they were betrothed.

I read them as they were issued, so there was enough of a separation between the two stories for me. I absolutely loved Mr Cavendish, I Presume. I felt that Quinn nailed the personalities down so well and the story about them was just wonderful (even with the occasional repetitions from the first book). I really "felt" Thomas and Amelia and their thoughts.

We've all read lots of romances where the hero or heroine turns out to be the long lost heir. In most of them s/he replaces a lesser being, and we know that they will treat their heritage significantly better than the wastrel cousin whom they displaced. Thomas, however, is a good man who worked hard to be a good caretaker of the people and the estates dependent on him. His title and his responsibilities are central to his identity. In addition, he did not have a happy childhood, and his grandmother is a monster. So it was far more poignant to read about him and his struggle to find a new place in the world and a new sense of himself than it was to read about Jack, the new duke, and as a result I totally agree with you -- I liked Mr. Cavendish much more than The Lost Duke.
pickyreader

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in the mood to read romance novels and I must admit, I am quite indulging myself.
Indeed, in the past few months I have been attacking any novel I come upon that meets my stringent terms. Although I have read a considerable number, there is only one I deem worthy of noting and mentioning to you, my fellow boardmembers....

TEXAS GLORY by Lorraine Heath.

As my username reveals, I am a very picky reader. If I cannot identify with the novel's heroine (on some level) in character and/or circumstances, I simply cannot read it.

Cordelia McQueen was very much to my liking. She is sweet, honest, innocent and strong. Dallas Leigh is one of my favourite heroes-- ever. He is determined yet gentle. Quiet yet forthcoming. Patient yet driven.
I will not go into detail about the plot because you can find its synopsis easily online. Suffice it to say that Dallas wants a son and no, I do not mean only an heir, but a son. He wants a child, he want to be a father and share all the activities and bonds a father and son share. Cordelia is his enemy's daughter. To resolve their issues, Dallas takes the initiative to ask for his daughter's hand in marriage. Yes, it is.. a marriage of convenience (my FAVE plot device!).
The book has a lot of humorous streaks and sweet moments but I have to confess something: Texas Glory is the first (and I suspect will be the only) book that has made me cry. I don't want to spoil it for anyone and don't get me wrong, it is not a sad, tragic drama but things do happen that caused my eyes to well with tears and my tissue box to empty. I think the moment of tears will be understood by everyone but for me it kept going and going... everytime I thought I was through, Dallas did something or he said something that made my heart ache.
Where I am concerned, when a hero's tenderness makes me cry, I am in love with him.
I really do recommend this novel. It will always stay with me. It has moved me deeply and it is books like this that reinforce my devotion and faith in historical romance.

I give it an
A+
for well developed characters and their very convincing thought processes. For me, that is where a talented author is recognised: whether she (or he) has a grasp on psychology and how well she can express that knowledge in forming a hero.
Rosie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pickyreader wrote:

TEXAS GLORY by Lorraine Heath

I agree with the A+ rating. Great book.
enchantednotionsbooks.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stygian's Honor by Lora Leigh. I love her series, The Breeds!
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read In a Fix because it was reviewed here and sounded interesting. I enjoyed it -- not deep, but ideal for waiting through a granddaughter's saxophone and ballet lessons, which I suppose would be my equivalent of beach reading.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Fever by Karen Marie Moning

Finally got to this book, which has been waiting on my huge TBR Kindle pile. I really enjoyed it. Which means I have to read the next one. Which means I have yet another series to follow:)
roseconnelly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Nora Roberts Reply with quote

I decided to go back to Nora Roberts and I re-read the Key Trilogy: Key of Light, Key of Knowledge, Key of Valor. I used to read a lot of Nora Roberts and have always thought that her older books were better than her newer batch, but I really enjoyed these three books and I read all of them in less than a week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: