AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do you keep track of your romance reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HEAreader

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOO to Goodreads. I thought it was great and then found out that their server didn't save a whole lot of books I scanned in. It didn't warn me that it wasn't saving - it recognized the barcodes and displayed the book covers but didn't save them. In addition, the app only displays about 25-30 of the books, then says More Books which leads to a search. The search shows all of the books the author has written, not just my books. I'm SO frustrated. So much time wasted!
Viking Princess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using my iphone I take pictures of the books on my bookself. When I'm at the used book store I just look at the pic's to make sure I'm not re-buying them.
HEAreader

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hundreds of books, including a large library of children's books. I don't think my iPhone has enough room for that many pictures Smile. Oh well, I'm not going to worry about this any more. It's taking way too much time that I don't have.

Thanks, everyone. Happy reading!
Dreaming of You

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an excel spreadsheet that I use to keep track of everything. I have different pages for different types of books and each page is organized alphabetically by author. I e-mail it to myself periodically so I can look at it on my iphone. I'm sure there's a better way to do this but I'm not tech savy enough to figure it out and this works fine for me.

I've tried Good Reads a couple of times. I like it for finding new recommendations but have found that the excel spreadsheet works better for me in terms of keeping track of what I've read. I have columns for author, title, ownership (e.g. book, ebook, library), series, grade, and description. When I first started keeping track I didn't bother with a description but I quickly realized that without something to jog my memory I couldn't remember anything about the book.
LordRose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreaming of You wrote:
I have an excel spreadsheet that I use to keep track of everything. I have different pages for different types of books and each page is organized alphabetically by author. I e-mail it to myself periodically so I can look at it on my iphone. I'm sure there's a better way to do this but I'm not tech savy enough to figure it out and this works fine for me.

I usually keep my spreadsheets on Google docs so I can access them wherever I need to. (My main problem is trying to keep them updated.)
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
...I still use my notebooks. I am a firm believer in pen and paper....

...I keep a table of contents in the front of the notebook. I use the "marble" covered ones that have a hardback cover with an inside front cover on which I can write. Kay

@Kay, after decades of databases, I find I now prefer pen and paper too. I also use a notebook, but a spiral one that I can fold in half, and is about 8 by 5 so it will fit in my purse for raids on most excellent used book stores we have in our area.

I don't keep a list of all what I've read though. One section is for up-coming new releases. Another section is for OOP or other books I haven't been able to find that I'd really like to have. And I have another ridiculously long section of books I already have but haven't read yet. I can remember what I did read but not always all what I bought but haven't yet read! Confused

I tend to be a book glommer, reading everything my favorite authors have ever written, so I don't need to keep track of Gabaldon, JD Robb, and others. But I have yet another section for only partly read authors. Instead of a table of contents in front, I have an index in the back for the unknowns -- mostly the TBRs I already own. So I guess I have the reverse of what others have for book tracking.
limagal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kept a simple database that I made with Microsoft Works - title, author by last name first, year the story is set in - sometimes I just put in regency, or medieval if it is not stated, then location of story, he/she names. titles (if they have them), plot in a few words, plot continued- just an extra space if needed, rating (I rank them from 1 to 5), and keep (whether I have kept it or traded it in).
When I am visiting in the US and am going to go to a used book store, I print out an abreviated version of the whole list - title, author, so that I don't buy the same book again (I am ashamed to say that I have done that more than once).
tuga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:

I still use my notebooks. I am a firm believer in pen and paper.
Kay

Me too. I have two notebooks, one to write down the title and author of every book I read in each month and another notebook to keep up with books I want to buy, with books in my TBR list I need to know about, of books I buy but don't get to right away and might keep for later...stuff like that.
It helps my memory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: