AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recently Read July - October
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Summer Seduction by Candace Camp

I love Candace Camp--one of the few remaining historical authors whom I'm still reading. She doesn't write Pulitzer prize books, but I like what she usually does with her stories and characters. This particular tale has been done before by many different authors, but she brings her own style to it. A woman born from the union of an actress and a lord who manages to find her HEA. I liked Damaris and Alec and am looking forward to her next book in the spring.

Last edited by Tee on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Minerva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His Very Own Girl by Carrie Lofty

This is a wonderful romance set during WWII. Lulu is a British civilian pilot, and Joe is an American paratrooper medic. The setting is wonderfully rich and detailed. Carrie Lofty obviously put a lot of effort into getting the historical details right.

Strong A read.
Currently only $1.99!
CG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code Name Verity A+

"Oct. 11th, 1943—A British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. One of the girls has a chance at survival. The other has lost the game before it's barely begun.

When “Verity” is arrested by the Gestapo, she's sure she doesn’t stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she’s living a spy’s worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution.

As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie, and why she left Maddie in the wrecked fuselage of their plane. On each new scrap of paper, Verity battles for her life, confronting her views on courage and failure and her desperate hope to make it home. But will trading her secrets be enough to save her from the enemy?"

I loved this book. Loved it. And I rarely read YA or anything written in first person. I dont want to say too much to avoid giving away the plot twists, but I read it in one sitting without planning to. I also enjoyed the author notes and bibliography, really shows she did her research.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG, I loved Code Name Verity, too. It totally consumed me when I sat down to read it.

Now I'm curious about Lofty's book. They both have women who served as pilots for the ATA.

Almost forgot why I came to this thread...

My most recent Romance read was Jo Goodman's The Last Renegade. I see Jean has reviewed it here. I pretty much agree with her review. If you like Goodman's style, you'll probably like it. It's a spare and gentle romance. I also agree that if you've read many of Goodman's it might also feel a bit same old (e.g., the source of humor, two very funny children, reminded me of the children in A Season to be Sinful. Overall, a solid B read for me.
CG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggletina wrote:
CG, I loved Code Name Verity, too. It totally consumed me when I sat down to read it.

Now I'm curious about Lofty's book. They both have women who served as pilots for the ATA.

Almost forgot why I came to this thread...

My most recent Romance read was Jo Goodman's The Last Renegade. I see Jean has reviewed it here. I pretty much agree with her review. If you like Goodman's style, you'll probably like it. It's a spare and gentle romance. I also agree that if you've read many of Goodman's it might also feel a bit same old (e.g., the source of humor, two very funny children, reminded me of the children in A Season to be Sinful. Overall, a solid B read for me.

I'll probably pass on the Lofty book. While she is a talented writer, and I am interested in WWII and the roles women played, I've found there is way too much mental lusting in the books I've tried by her. Just my personal opinion and one of my pet peeves.

Glad to here you enjoyed the Goodman, it's on my TBR list.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG wrote:

I'll probably pass on the Lofty book. While she is a talented writer, and I am interested in WWII and the roles women played, I've found there is way too much mental lusting in the books I've tried by her. Just my personal opinion and one of my pet peeves.

Mental lusting is one of my pet peeves, too. It's why I hesitated when I first saw the book reviewed elsewhere, but Minerva's review convinced me to give her one more shot. I picked it up last night and so far it reads more like a combined homefront/war novel with a strong romantic subplot than romance with a capital R. It's Lofty in top form rather than catering to romantic formula, IMO. I'm only at the 20 percent point, but so far the attraction feels believable and genuine rather than sexed up. I tend to like love stories set during wartime, so that was another reason for my interest in picking it up. It's also interesting because I've been watching Band of Brothers on DVD, so some of this goes hand-in-hand with what I've been watching.
Minerva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG and Eggletina - there is much less mental lusting in this book than in Lofty's usual books. This is very different from her normal style. I wasn't planning on reading this book because I have been disappointed with some of her others. But I'm in sort of a 20th Century, WWI, WWII mood right now; and it was cheap!

She spent a lot of time developing Lulu and Joe into people who have a conflict. She delved into the perspective of women pilots and the hurdles they faced. Lulu wanted to fly bigger and more challenging planes, and after the war she wants to keep flying. Joe is looking for a wife at home with the kids.

I'm not sure that things were resolved to my satisfaction at the end.

I haven't read Code Name Verity, I think I will have to go look for it.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, Minerva.

Code Name Verity is a very special book. It really stands out from the crowd and is very suspenseful. Like CG, I can't say too much for fear of treading into spoiler territory. The author, Wein, is also a pilot, and her descriptions of flying and the passion pilots develop for it really shine. I thought the book had some beautiful imagery as well.
jaime

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished: Magdalene by Moriah Jovan - well-written and long romance about a Mormon widower and the ex-prostitute he falls in love with. I found it interesting to get an inside look into the workings of a religious culture/faith that has always struck me as peculiar and rather sexist. The heroine is pretty much a Mary Sue - better at sex, better at business, better at everything than the dead wife of the hero, with that special vagina that gets the hero out of his rut. Not one of my favorite tropes in romance when the ex/dead spouse always compares unfavorably to the hero/heroine and conveniently isn't around to provide their POV/or defend themselves.
CG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minerva, thank you for your opinion on His Very Own Girl , I'm going to download a sample and may give it a try in a few weeks. I'm still thinking about Code Name Verity and how awesome it was; I'm afraid anything featuring female pilots set in WWII would pale in comparison. Need some distance, if that makes sense.

Eggletina, I look forward to hearing what you think after you finish it. I haven't actually seen Band of Brothers yet, but I like the idea of watching it on DVD all at once. Off to see if Netflix has it.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three books attempted; three books DNF'd.

The Lost Night - Jayne Castle
I really enjoyed the last one by Castle, even though I normally don't read her books under that name. This one just didn't work for me, unfortunately. I had a difficult time staying with it.

By Starlight - Dorothy Garlock
Garlock is an author whose books I usually enjoy. The main thrust of this one was the Prohibition era and the heroine is a partner in an illegal venture. Another story that didn't work for me. The characters didn't appeal as they usually do and the story was just so-so. Abandoned it.

You Don't Want to Know
- Lisa Jackson
I have actually quit reading Jackson, but this book was on the 7-day shelf, so I picked it up, always wanting to give prior favorite authors another chance. This wasn't the one to bring me back, however. Another book that was difficult to stay with.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG wrote:
Eggletina, I look forward to hearing what you think after you finish it. I haven't actually seen Band of Brothers yet, but I like the idea of watching it on DVD all at once. Off to see if Netflix has it.

I finished His Very Own Girl over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s a romance whereas Code Name Verity is not, so I don’t think it would be fair to compare the two. I liked how Lofty handled the historical elements and attitudes (though some might not be totally comfortable with some of the prejudices that existed back then). She doesn’t gloss over the fact that while the war allowed women to step out of traditional roles, once the war was over the strides women had made didn’t take them very far. The hero is a medic, and I thought she handled his role very well. There’s one scene where he’s explaining to a young replacement medic that they are there to save lives, not gun down the enemy, and by taking up arms to help his fellow soldiers he’s putting all medics in danger. I thought it was nice reminder you don’t often see pointed out. The couple in this story exchange letters while the hero is on the Western Front. I found myself wondering about the censors who had to read those letters and how it might make an interesting story. Out of what I’ve read by Lofty, I think this book is her personal best. I wish she’d write more in this vein, or maybe I just like this period.
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cecilia Grant's A Lady Awakened was lovely and so well done, so now I'm really looking forward to reading a Gentleman Undone.
stl_reader

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ugly Duchess, by Eloisa James
Grade: C-
Quick assessment: A Hot Mess

I thought I would never finish this book, but I made myself stay with it to the bitter end. It's tough when you end up not liking either the hero or heroine.

TUD started off interesting enough but quickly became boring, as the hero and heroine were parted for 7 years (he off pirating and she getting their estate back in shape). When the hero finally returned, the story wrapped up quickly with a rushed and rather unbelievable reconciliation between the H/h.

Thank God when I saw Eloisa James speak at our public library last week,--and she's a wonderful speaker--I had not read this yet. I can't believe that the author who gave us When Beauty Tamed the Beast (which I own and very much enjoyed) is the same person who wrote this hot mess.

I will say this book reminded me somewhat of Sherry Thomas' Private Arrangements (and also very slightly of her more recent Ravishing the Heiress). Only, I rather liked Private Arrangements, the ridiculously long period of separation notwithstanding.

I can't help but wonder if TUD might have been a better book if the author had not been constrained by the Ugly Duckling "fairy tale" template she set for herself. My sense was that the plot and characters were being made to conform to the requirements of the fairy tale, rather than being allowed to develop organically.

Oh, well, plenty of people seem to like this book, including AAR and Dear Author reviewers; it just didn't work for me.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Treachery of Beautiful Things
Ruth Long

Her brother was snatched one night when they took a short cut through the woods. Now Jenny has returned to the woods to see if there is any possible way to get him back. What she learns about the woods will shake her to her very core. What she learns about the power of love undermines all the Fey believe.

maggie b.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: