AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones - AMAZING!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Linda you MUST go read "The Siren" Wink I swear it is some really good writing, and her second book comes out in less than a month so after you read it and all the great free stories on her site and are HOOKED you won't have long to wait for book two and then book 3 is a month later.

I should also say, Unlike "If I Were You", "The Siren" is a complete story in one book and all the extra is about the same characters, so you just keep getting more back ground for a group of characters you will be so happy to know. REALLY! If I am wrong you can tell me and I swear I will leave you alone..... Embarassed
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
Now Linda you MUST go read "The Siren" Wink I swear it is some really good writing, and her second book comes out in less than a month so after you read it and all the great free stories on her site and are HOOKED you won't have long to wait for book two and then book 3 is a month later.

I should also say, Unlike "If I Were You", "The Siren" is a complete story in one book and all the extra is about the same characters, so you just keep getting more back ground for a group of characters you will be so happy to know. REALLY! If I am wrong you can tell me and I swear I will leave you alone..... Embarassed

Judy, lol, I have two main concerns about The Siren, in one of your posts about it the author seems to be defending face slapping. If the BDSM includes face slapping or humiliation of the sub (calling them degrading names) then this a deal breaker for me. Call it a hard limit! Lol. Even if the sub agreed to it I am repulsed by it. Also when I read an excerpt of the book while in B&N the Dom had her handcuffed to the bed while he was punishing another sub to punish her. It makes my stomach turn, but I only read a bit so maybe I misread it.

Lastly, didn't the author say the heroine was a Dom as well as a sub? Dom heroines or heroines with the nature to be Dom are not my type even a little.

So what say you to all that? Maybe I'm assuming what's not there?

I don't mind having stories leave off with cliff hangers, I'm impatient but I also like the anticipation! It gives me something to look forward to.

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember a face slap, but I do remember the author in her blog or something explaining that everything in the real D/s world is agreed upon before hand between the D/s. And she used a face slap as an example and apparently her D did it to her once and she almost cracked up and they decided it wasn't part of their "thing". So if there is a face slap in the story- it doesn't stand out to me.

The other scene that you read, yes is in the story close to the beginning (which to me the first few chapters was compelling and upsetting until I got to a place where I got it. She is totally OK with the relationship and it isn't abuse to her). The sub being punished during that scene that sub is happy with the "punishment" and lets face it alot of BDSM is punishment. That was what Christain wanted to do to all his little brown haired girls when they broke the rules and why he had twitchy palms all the time. But back to The Siren. I would almost stake my life on the fact IMO there isn't any humilation or anything negitive like that, I wouldn't go for it either if there was. But like I said the first few chapters are intense because you don't have an understanding about her and Soren, but I think that is what makes it so good, because then when you start to get a good handle on the relationships you love the complex way they are.

The story is so much more than the sex scenes, or the BDSM scenes. And yes Nora at this point is a switch, but you really don't get much of that, she is all sub when it comes to the men of the story. But don't misunderstand, she is a strong women that uses sex and the lifestyle for her pleasure, she totally knows what she wants and takes it from the world.
Read seven day loan first if you want, it takes place before The Siren, but is meant to be read after, mostly likely, but it would work as a before and see if you like Nora. Then on her web site she has a bunch of free chapter to see what happens to "whatever his name is" after the 7 days and how he gets his HEA.

If I could I would give you my copy but I don't think there is a way to share e-books.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Judy, thanks! I read the blog post in the thread and assumed a face slap happened, silly me! I'm glad to hear it didn't. I know that bdsm can be seen as 'punishment' but there are just some dynamics that are too much for me. For example, I read the first chapter (sample) of the book Can You Keep a Secret? This one is supposed to be the 'real' Fifty Shades, a young woman that was on the scene and experiencing all sorts of sexual encounters normally considered taboo. The chapter opened with her friend playing dom and leading her into a private party in a barn (this is supposed to be a true story), there is a St. Andrews Cross set up where a domme is hooking a guy up to and lashing him, he loves it, it seemed brutal to me. Then the lead protagonist (I don't know if you'd call her a heroine) has her turn the female domme comes over and leads her away by the leash to this leather table where she's tied face down and whipped buy a guy dressed all in leather, leather mask and whatnot. In between lashes the domme grabs her roughly by the face, slaps her some and calls her demeaning names. The protagonist is turned on by this. I couldn't take another minute of it and I knew that book was not for me.

So that's what I mean when I saw I'm more of a bdsm lightweight and I don't care if it's a fantasy and not considered realistic. I don't want leather masks and people dressed in rubber and latex whipping the crap out of each other and humiliated. For me this is far more brutal than a intimate scene between Ana and Christian where he spanks her and even when he used the belt it was not as uncomfortable for me because Ana didn't readily accept it and nor was she turned on by it. I think there is a fine line for each reader and it may be hard to explain but you know when a book has crossed it.

All that said, I'm not saying that is what The Siren is like at all as I haven't even really given it a chance! I was just trying to explain my thoughts on bdsm romance. When I read the small bit in B&N it didn't seem my thing but I should at least download a sample and give it a try before judging.

I like your enthusiasm for it though, it's wonderful when we can find books that leave us with such a positive impression!

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I feel bad being so persistent. Because you are so right about everyone has their own line and it is hard to explain what a line is you just know it when you are at it. I have read thrillers with serial killers that have left me skipping pages of (IMO) sick details that I just didnít want in my head. So I do get what you are saying, and I donít know if I am right about The Siren, I just know when I was done I enjoyed it and thought Tiffany Reisz did a great job of writing a unique story with so many complex characters with their own stories. It isnít a story about just a couple of people, but really a cast and she keeps all the balls in the air. But like I have said, the first few chapters you will be pulled in but trying to figure out the lay of the land, who is good, what is bad. But then you get a feel for what was going on. Just those first few chapters left me a little uneasy, but not like that serial killer stuff. I really donít remember feeling there was any humiliation or demeaning behavior toward women.

So I understand if you aren't sure it is your cup of tea. I was just really glad I stayed with it and really glad Tiffany Reisz wrote so much more free stuff to add to the story.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy - don't feel bad, when I hit on a story I really like my first impulse is to share it with everyone so they can enjoy it as well! I haven't even given The Siren a chance but I will I promise!

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Just finished this last night...and holy cow, what a cliffhanger. Wow. And I'm thinking, Feb. is the next book??? What?
Anyway, I really, really liked this book. Out of all the books I have read claiming to be "similar" to 50 Shades, this one comes out on top (LOL) out of all the rest. Sara has the same characteristics of Ana, but Chris is much different from Christian, so the book doesn't seem like a desperately written copy of FSoG.
Lots of questions as to who is doing what and why. Is Chris a bad guy or good. I think good. I think he is most likely the hero in this series.
What about Mark? And what is the past relationship between Chris and Mark? I'm guessing that they are together in the BDSM club. In what way? Possibly they shared women. I'm seeing Mark as kind of an ass, but maybe he's got a book of his own coming his way. I wonder about that guy in the storage building. I thought we would read more about him. He certainly put in the creep factor at the start of the book.
I like the characters, Chris and Sara, and I think their relationship is interesting. He wants his space, and so does she, so they are starting out on equal footing.
One thing that threw me out of the story for a moment ( and no, it wasn't the cool weather in August..well, not so much anyway). It was when she downed three glasses of wine in a matter of 15 minutes, and she had had a previous glass in that sexy limousine scene. Smile Knowing that this is the 2nd time she's had alcohol, I pictured her falling off her chair, passed out until the next day.
So, this is the problem I have with reading books in a series. I like to read them all at once, one after the other. I wish the next book was in my hands right now.
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big problem, which I just am wanting to scream is Writing a Book then dividing into 3 parts and calling it a trilogy doesn't make it so! I wouldn't go to a movie that ended with the Heroine being locked in a storage unit and told to come back in Feb to find out what happens next. I want a complete story arch and I enjoy series so some lose ends that develope into new stories is fine. This is a serial, like in the day (before my day) when magazines and newspapers published chapters of a story every week, like in Dickens time. It so sucks to wait
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Oh! Just finished this last night...and holy cow, what a cliffhanger. Wow. And I'm thinking, Feb. is the next book??? What?

I know right! The author says on Facebook that she has a big announcement concerning this series tomorrow morning and I'm hoping it's somehow that the other books will be ready right away, lol.

Quote:
Anyway, I really, really liked this book. Out of all the books I have read claiming to be "similar" to 50 Shades, this one comes out on top (LOL) out of all the rest.

Yes, agree completely! I feel certain there was Fifty influence here but this is an example of Fifty influence done right. The first one yet.

Quote:
Sara has the same characteristics of Ana, but Chris is much different from Christian, so the book doesn't seem like a desperately written copy of FSoG.

Right, some similarities with the characters but not completely. Also has the kink factor, haha It packs an emotional punch and this is what a lot of romantica/erotica lacks.

Quote:
Lots of questions as to who is doing what and why. Is Chris a bad guy or good. I think good. I think he is most likely the hero in this series.
What about Mark? And what is the past relationship between Chris and Mark? I'm guessing that they are together in the BDSM club. In what way? Possibly they shared women. I'm seeing Mark as kind of an ass, but maybe he's got a book of his own coming his way. I wonder about that guy in the storage building. I thought we would read more about him. He certainly put in the creep factor at the start of the book.

I know so many questions and I love it! I don't think in a 'romance' I've been this unclear as to who the hero is, will be. Who the bad guy is/isn't. I love the suspense and the spook factor.

Quote:
I like the characters, Chris and Sara, and I think their relationship is interesting. He wants his space, and so does she, so they are starting out on equal footing.

Yep!

Quote:
One thing that threw me out of the story for a moment ( and no, it wasn't the cool weather in August..well, not so much anyway). It was when she downed three glasses of wine in a matter of 15 minutes, and she had had a previous glass in that sexy limousine scene. Smile Knowing that this is the 2nd time she's had alcohol, I pictured her falling off her chair, passed out until the next day.

That's true, and speaking personally it only takes a couple glasses in a short period of time and I"d have to call it quits and Sara says she's a lightweight when it comes to drinking.

Quote:
So, this is the problem I have with reading books in a series. I like to read them all at once, one after the other. I wish the next book was in my hands right now.

Me too! Though I like the suspense of not knowing I'd like it to go on maybe a week and then tell me already! lol But for me if it had to be a cliffhanger I was glad that it was about her in the storage unit rather than a brutal break up with Chris. In some ways she's saying ( like Ana did to Christian) I don't think I can give you what you want, but they're still in touch. The storage unit is scary but I know she'll survive it so I don't feel as anxious as I would if I were feeling truly concerned her and Chris were over.

Xina, if you don't mind go back to my post with the book club questions and cut and paste so I can see your replies! I'm curious. Smile

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
My big problem, which I just am wanting to scream is Writing a Book then dividing into 3 parts and calling it a trilogy doesn't make it so! I wouldn't go to a movie that ended with the Heroine being locked in a storage unit and told to come back in Feb to find out what happens next. I want a complete story arch and I enjoy series so some lose ends that develop into new stories is fine. This is a serial, like in the day (before my day) when magazines and newspapers published chapters of a story every week, like in Dickens time. It so sucks to wait

Judy, I get the frustration and you're not the only one to express that! But rather than going to a movie with a cliffhanger I look at it more like how a tv series may end on a cliff hanger and you feel like you can't stand to wait through the summer for it to return so you can find out what happens.

I remember the serial stories in the mags! I want to say long ago I subscribed to a romance mag that did this but I can't think of the name now.

I'll tell you what's getting me, it's a trend in many ebooks series now to have you pay $.99 or $1.99 and just get a couple of chapters at a time. By the time you've bought the whole series you've spent $16-$20. There's a series right now that I'd love to continue on and see what happens and I didn't realize it was one of those 2 chapters at a time teasers. I guess I'll just wait until it's released into one set, hopefully, if I still remember it by then.

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll just wait until it's released into one set, hopefully, if I still remember it by then

It would serve them right if you forgot! I know what you are saying and I am guessing it wouldn't surprise you to hear that since we got TiVo I watch big groups of the show in one afternoon instead of tuning in next week. My Hubby and I used to wait and get the season of Lost and spend a long weekend doing nothing but watching it. Love that, hate waiting.
stl_reader

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reminded of the Lord of the Rings movies. I saw the first one and it was so good, I was actually caught off guard when it ended and I realized that the adventure was just getting started, and I'd have to wait a long time for the second movie in the trilogy.

As blown away as I was by the first movie--and I'm not generally a fan of the adventure/fantasy/sci-fi genres--I actually lost interest in the interval between the first and second movies. Smile

Someday I imagine I'll get around to them (after I get around to re-viewing the first one, since I don't remember it any more).
xina

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/If-I-Were-You-ebook/dp/B0095VKZUK/ref=sr_1_12?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1347541537&sr=1-12&keywords=if+i+were+you+lisa+renee+jones--k

Look at the new cover~ pretty.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
This is interesting, Lisa Renne Jones has some book club questions posted for If I Were You on her website -

■If you found a journal would you read it?

***Absolutely!

■Why would Mark ó a smart man Ė hire Sara without checking references? What do you think his motives were?

***I took it that he had been observing her and wanted her for whatever reason. Young, pretty...seems to know her field reasonably well. Why not hire her? Men....

■Do you think Chris and Mark were once friends and if so why?

*** Yes, probably. If not friends, business partners in some way. There was a falling out in whatever the relationshi was.

■Why if Sara was rich growing up has she not traveled? What clue do you think this might be to her past?

***There seems to be some kind of abuse in her past, or at least that is what I picked up. Her father may have wanted to control her and in that didn't allow her to experience what other children might have that grow up wealthy. Travel may have been one of those things he held back. They did have a private chef, so could obviously afford travel.

■Who do you think is the man from the journal and why?

**** The reader is supposed to assume he is Mark, right? I'm afraid that is too obvious. I don't know who he is at this point. I hope he is not Chris. Being a romance novel, I'm thinking that he will be the hero.

■What do you think happened to Rebecca?

**** I think she is safe somewhere.

■Do you think itís okay for two consenting adults to participate in a BDSM style relationship?

***Yes, why not?

Will get to the rest of the questions later...gotta run. Smile

Linda

Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
[It would serve them right if you forgot! I know what you are saying and I am guessing it wouldn't surprise you to hear that since we got TiVo I watch big groups of the show in one afternoon instead of tuning in next week. My Hubby and I used to wait and get the season of Lost and spend a long weekend doing nothing but watching it. Love that, hate waiting.

I wish I had the self control to do that! If I know it's airing I have to watch it and even with the dvr I have a hard time trying to save them all to watch in a row, lol

Here is Lisa's big news and it sounds like the new publisher wants to get the rest of the series out faster than it was previously scheduled!

http://www.lisareneejones.com/2012/09/13/my-news-has-arrived/

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: