AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones - AMAZING!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:

My only problem so far is this is a summer job for Sara, but I could of sworn when she was caught in the rain coming home from the storage unit that it was August, which seemed weird to me because she had her last day of school. But I am dyslectic so maybe I got it in my head wrong.

Happy happy happy thanks a million for the recomendation

I noticed that too Judy. Also, that it was cold in August. Is she an Australian author? Their seasons are flipped. My parents spent 7 years in Australia, and it was cold there during our summer months.

Answering my own question here. She is from Austin Texas...LOL! Texas is very hot in August. So, never mind....

Last edited by xina on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
xina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
xina wrote:
I'm really enjoying this. It's a true gothic, IMO. I just stayed on the treadmill for 2 more miles because I didn't want to stop reading. My body thanks you....lol.

Xina, I was wondering how people might label this story, gothic, mystery, suspense, sexual thriller... all of the above? lol

Linda

I'm just settling down to pick the book up again, but at this point I would say gothic/sexual thriller. I'll let you know later pn tonight.
kmredd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
kmredd wrote:
I'm barely into it but boy is it good so far. What a relief to have a good book again. After FSG nothing was doing it for me. Every book I read was just torture to get through. Thank you Linda. You are a life saver!

You're welcome! I even wrote the author a quick email to tell her how much I loved the book and I never do that! I was just so grateful to finally find something this special to read after Fifty. Smile

Linda

I'm so grateful I think I'll offer her my first born!
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmredd wrote:
[I'm so grateful I think I'll offer her my first born!

Bwah! Please don't, I'm going broke paying for college for our first and I have another one headed that way in two years. Wink

Judy, I do think you are right because she is on summer break and yet I was thinking oh..we're at the same time of year when the time frame was mentioned. But see, I read all that and it didn't even occur to me that it was off, I'm such a clueless reader, ha ha I'm gearing up for my first reread already, I'll double check. Smile

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on a "novel vacation" (really a romance novel vacation, but that gets a little wordy and I have read some non-romance) for almost a year now. I read 2 or 3 books a week and watch much less tv and do many less household chores.

But here is what I have discovered, I drink far less adult beverages than all my favorite Heroines. And the effect they are having on me is making me thirsty. Razz

I am already starting to plan "Novel Vacation Year II" and it might include heavy drinking which might mean Year III or IV will have to be Novel Vacation the Rehab Year. Shocked
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished!
Enjoyed that book, fast moving, only small problem with the August as the beginning of the summer, and it wasn't a one time mistake it was throughout the whole story. And Sara's 25% commission on Chris' art was kept being mentioned as 50 thousand dolllars when she said she had sold almost $300,000 that night and I figure that to be $75000, but she is an art major not a math wiz so maybe she will get a huge surprise when Mark hands her the check.

So many questions:
Paris seems to be a big location that connects everyone: Chris' home, Ella's marriage, Diego's trip, the exchange student???
Why is Ava always out of town the same time as Mark? And then Ava says she rushed back to the wine tasting to see Sara?? They sort of just meet, why so important get back to she Sara?
The Storage Unit: The "manager" or whoever he is at the storage unit. He was creeping Sara out her first time there. And he directed her to the drawers for clues, why? Do all the submissives that go to ground store their belongings at that facality and if so then you wouldn't think "they" would not pay the fee or that there would even be a fee.
Oh and interesting Chris tells Sara he doesn't share, but we know whoever Rebecca was with did believe in sharing. So not a question just an out loud thought that Chris couldn't be involved in Rebecca. Also, I like Chris' character and I am sure they end up together because as the plot must always go, he is doing first with Sara, which is the male vigin equivalent. So he is her virgin and he is her dark soul mate. Wink
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really no one to talk to now that I finished!!??!! Confused

Another question, I need to go back and re-read to see what the deal was, but didn't Sara say like in the first chapter that it had been a year and half since she had been with a guy but then told Chris 5 years? This only matters to me because I have a big theory. While I was down cooking food thinking and listening to music it hit me. I am not sharing here unless you all beg, but I am thinking I a pretty good idea Idea of some of the lose ends.

Please beg me, I so need to share.... Rolling Eyes
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy I'm on a quick lunch break from work so I'll try to respond but if not then definitely this evening!

But in the meantime, Lisa's first book titled Dangerous Secrets is free for 3 days on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Secrets-Tall-Deadly-ebook/dp/B007RZBM0I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346864222&sr=8-2&keywords=lisa+renee+jones+tall+dark+and+deadly

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
Finished!
Enjoyed that book, fast moving, only small problem with the August as the beginning of the summer, and it wasn't a one time mistake it was throughout the whole story. And Sara's 25% commission on Chris' art was kept being mentioned as 50 thousand dolllars when she said she had sold almost $300,000 that night and I figure that to be $75000, but she is an art major not a math wiz so maybe she will get a huge surprise when Mark hands her the check.

Didn't catch this but then I don't notice such things! lol

Quote:
So many questions:
Paris seems to be a big location that connects everyone: Chris' home, Ella's marriage, Diego's trip, the exchange student???

Right, something is going on there..

Quote:
Why is Ava always out of town the same time as Mark? And then Ava says she rushed back to the wine tasting to see Sara?? They sort of just meet, why so important get back to she Sara?

I wondered that too, I wonder if Ava is in on this club with Mark and Chris? There is a connection there that has not been revealed yet I think, perhaps all three of them own it.

Quote:
The Storage Unit: The "manager" or whoever he is at the storage unit. He was creeping Sara out her first time there. And he directed her to the drawers for clues, why? Do all the submissives that go to ground store their belongings at that facality and if so then you wouldn't think "they" would not pay the fee or that there would even be a fee.

Obviously storage guy knows something or is up to something! The way he asked her to look in the drawer and was creeping around is definitely suspicious.

Quote:
Oh and interesting Chris tells Sara he doesn't share, but we know whoever Rebecca was with did believe in sharing. So not a question just an out loud thought that Chris couldn't be involved in Rebecca. Also, I like Chris' character and I am sure they end up together because as the plot must always go, he is doing first with Sara, which is the male virgin equivalent. So he is her virgin and he is her dark soul mate. Wink

Well hmmm, maybe Rebecca was Mark's and he shares so Chris came in for that scene, I can't wait to find out! *rubs hands together*

Also, Chris and Mark definitely have something between them and Chris said he likes pain so I was wondering if it wasn't Mark that supplied that pain for him at the club, the dynamics between them is strange.

There were points I even wondered if Sara was who she said she was, nothing is as it seems.

So please do share any theories you have, we've got to do something to pass the time until Feb!

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theory:
Michael must have something to do with all this. We know Michhael had Sara doing stuff that she didn’t enjoy doing with him. She says that the first night at Chris' apartment.
We also know that he is rich or at least well off because Michael is the son her father didn’t have. We might jump to the conclusion that Michael doesn’t like that Sara walked away from him and has set something into place to bring her back to him.
We don’t even know that Rebecca is real! Or she might be real but the journals and storage unit might be the lure Michael invented, he must know Sara loves art and would have loved to work in art, to draw her in. He could have hired her neighbor, which is why Sara can’t reach her after she leaves for the mysterious marriage honeymoon. So there would of never been a storage sale etc and the neighbor would of never left that journal by mistake if she was in the middle of reading something so hot why would she of even taken over to Sara's. all a plant!
We also know that Chris isn’t seeing her embarrass herself but, in his words or paraphrased, “rescues her” what will be a better rescue than when he saves her from her nutter ex-finance in the end.

Only problems with my theory. Sara says at the beginning when reading the journal for the first time she hasn't been with a guy for 1 1/2 years (which I think fits with Michael still wanting her back) but then she tells Chris that it has been 5 years (which is a little long for Michael to be plotting and planning to get her back)

So I am proposing that it is Mark and Michael with Rebecca. And as for Chris and Mark, I am thinking that is just Mark is maybe a Sadist and Chris isn't. But I am confused as to if Chris is a Dom, he is around Sara, but I think he said he F*cks and gets F'ed, which wouldn't be Dom would it??? And he certainly doesn't act sub around Mark.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to resist reading the comments. (not looking...) Slow reader here, or at least a reader who hasn't had much reading time lately. Love it though, I wish I could sit down for a couple hours and finish it.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
Theory:
Michael must have something to do with all this. We know Michhael had Sara doing stuff that she didn’t enjoy doing with him. She says that the first night at Chris' apartment.
We also know that he is rich or at least well off because Michael is the son her father didn’t have. We might jump to the conclusion that Michael doesn’t like that Sara walked away from him and has set something into place to bring her back to him.

Hmmmm *scratching chin* I was thinking that Michael is going to come into play in the next book, but this would be a rather elaborate plan to win her back.

Quote:
We don’t even know that Rebecca is real! Or she might be real but the journals and storage unit might be the lure Michael invented, he must know Sara loves art and would have loved to work in art, to draw her in.

Maybe? He is made out to be a master manipulator. Chris and the interns knew of Rebecca so she must exist. I find it creepy that Sara is burning her roses candle..basically living her life or what she thinks is her life. What is that movie where you think Leonardo DiCaprio is stuck on that island but it turns out he's the one that's crazy and they're trying to help him? Even that scenario crossed my mind.

Quote:
He could have hired her neighbor, which is why Sara can’t reach her after she leaves for the mysterious marriage honeymoon. So there would of never been a storage sale etc and the neighbor would of never left that journal by mistake if she was in the middle of reading something so hot why would she of even taken over to Sara's. all a plant!
We also know that Chris isn’t seeing her embarrass herself but, in his words or paraphrased, “rescues her” what will be a better rescue than when he saves her from her nutter ex-finance in the end.

I think you may be on to something by the neighbor planting the journal! Is her name Ella? Or the neighbor is being used..

Quote:
Only problems with my theory. Sara says at the beginning when reading the journal for the first time she hasn't been with a guy for 1 1/2 years (which I think fits with Michael still wanting her back) but then she tells Chris that it has been 5 years (which is a little long for Michael to be plotting and planning to get her back)

Yeah it definitely would be, I need to go back and do a reread already.

Quote:
So I am proposing that it is Mark and Michael with Rebecca. And as for Chris and Mark, I am thinking that is just Mark is maybe a Sadist and Chris isn't. But I am confused as to if Chris is a Dom, he is around Sara, but I think he said he F*cks and gets F'ed, which wouldn't be Dom would it??? And he certainly doesn't act sub around Mark.

You know I didn't make that connection but yes it could have been Michael that was with Mark. Good call! No, he doesn't act sub around anyone, maybe he isn't, he just likes pain? Strange..but that's what I love about it!

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting, Lisa Renne Jones has some book club questions posted for If I Were You on her website -

■If you found a journal would you read it?

■Why would Mark — a smart man – hire Sara without checking references? What do you think his motives were?

■Do you think Chris and Mark were once friends and if so why?

■Why if Sara was rich growing up has she not traveled? What clue do you think this might be to her past?

■Who do you think is the man from the journal and why?

■What do you think happened to Rebecca?

■Do you think it’s okay for two consenting adults to participate in a BDSM style relationship?

■How do characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes?

■Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable? If so, why did you feel that way?

■How did you experience the book? Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to ”get into it”? How did you feel reading it—amused, sad, disturbed, confused, bored…?

■If you could ask the author a question, what would you ask? Have you read other books by the same author? If so how does this book compare? If not, does this book inspire you to read others?

Who's up first to answer? lol

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
This is interesting, Lisa Renne Jones has some book club questions posted for If I Were You on her website -

■Why would Mark — a smart man – hire Sara without checking references? What do you think his motives were?

■Why if Sara was rich growing up has she not traveled? What clue do you think this might be to her past?

■Do you think it’s okay for two consenting adults to participate in a BDSM style relationship?

■How do characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes?

■Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable? If so, why did you feel that way?

■How did you experience the book? Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to ”get into it”? How did you feel reading it—amused, sad, disturbed, confused, bored…?

■If you could ask the author a question, what would you ask? Have you read other books by the same author? If so how does this book compare? If not, does this book inspire you to read others?

Who's up first to answer? lol

Linda

* Yes, I would*
* Mark hired her because it was a set up with Michael!
* No, maybe not friends just Doms in the same circle
* I am guessing her father had complete control over her and her mother and didn't let them travel?
* Michael and Mark (Michael apparently was making Sara do things he should of realized she wasn't into, so I call that a good clue to he would be involved in BDSM but breaking the rules as far as much more abusive.)
* Rebecca is in the life style enjoying herself, helping Michael get Sara (against Sara's will, I don't think he cares if Sara wants to come back to him)
*YES
*Not sure I can answer that yet, as they (author, publisher) have only sold us a part of a book (thinking this is the new way to publish, sell it in parts because sorry that isn't a complete book.
*No
*immediately (thank you Lisa Renee Jones) I felt pulled to keep on reading to find out what was around the corner.
*Why not give us the complete story to start with, I would pay for it, or sell it in parts, but release them all at the same time so I can stay in the moment.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

I think she looked like something interesting he could play with, he went on his own instinct.

Yes, they have a byplay between them that suggests something deeper going on, that paired with the mural on Mark's wall suggests they were at one point friends.

Didn't even catch this while reading! I would say it must mean she had a sheltered life, an over protective father that didn't allow her to travel.

I think it's Mark because his personality seems to suit the role of her lover, however I'm also a tiny bit frightened it may turn out to be Chris. The fact that he doesn't share is encouraging that it's not him but I'm still at the stage where I am suspicious of everyone.

I think she's safe somewhere, with someone.

Yes.

Haven't really seen much of that since we are still very new to the characters. The only 'change' would be that initally Chris seemed a pretty benign character, sweet and talented. Then as his relationship with Sara progressed his darker side was exposed. Sara is changing somewhat in that she is getting really comfortable in this life and to go back to teaching after this would be very difficult.

No uncomfortable necessarily but spooked for sure. A sense that danger could be lurking around any corner, secrets exposed that might be hard to accept.

Immediately.

I wouldn't ask her anything other than to write faster, we need the second one NOW, lol. I haven't read any of the authors books.

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: