AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Special Title Listings -- Which Lists to Open First??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a category for multicultural romances, though there is an inter-ethnic one. I would like to see that one updated, but it would be even better if a multicultural list were created.

The other lists I'd like to see updated:
Bluestockings and feminists
Experienced heroines and femmes fatales
History 101
Perfect first spouses
YA (perhaps expanded to include NA?)
Friends in romance
Across the tracks
Sports romances

Nana wrote:
Is there any possibility of refining some categories? I really love books with unusual settings, but I find the "Special Settings" category to be unwieldy to navigate. There are so many ways to consider a setting "special" that almost anything could plausibly go there.

There's such a strong reading difference between a historical and a contemporary that subdividing the list by "Special Settings - Historical" and "Special Settings - Contemporary" would really help me use it to find something for me.

This is a good suggestion.
Eliza

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
I don't see a category for multicultural romances, though there is an inter-ethnic one. I would like to see that one updated, but it would be even better if a multicultural list were created.

Agreed. These would be my first choices for updated category and for new category.
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:

YA (perhaps expanded to include NA?)

Hi Yulie - what's NA?
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinnieGayl wrote:
Nana, Special Settings is actually my favorite list. I've been sitting back wishing more people were putting it in their top ten --well, wishing they'd make it their #1. But I think you have an interesting suggestion. It's a really long list, and at the very least breaking out by contemporary/history within countries would be helpful, but perhaps just splitting the list as you suggest would work as well.

I'm making a note to look at that when it comes time to update that list.

It was my #1!

Mark wrote:
New Special Title list suggestions:

Banter Battles
This might be a subset of Favorite Funnies, but not all romances with humor have a lot of banter. There is also slapstick, non-bantering conversational humor, character-interaction humor, etc.

Stormy Courtships
This may overlap too closely with Best Enemies, but not all turbulent relationships are between apparent enemies.

I would love these two categories.

Yulie wrote:

Ditto

Jean Wan AAR wrote:

Hi Yulie - what's NA?

Not Yulie, but NA is New Adult (18-22--college aged protagonists).
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoirFemme wrote:
LinnieGayl wrote:
Nana, Special Settings is actually my favorite list. I've been sitting back wishing more people were putting it in their top ten --well, wishing they'd make it their #1. But I think you have an interesting suggestion. It's a really long list, and at the very least breaking out by contemporary/history within countries would be helpful, but perhaps just splitting the list as you suggest would work as well.

I'm making a note to look at that when it comes time to update that list.

It was my #1!

Smile Hooray!

Yulie wrote:

Ditto

Jean Wan AAR wrote:

Hi Yulie - what's NA?

Not Yulie, but NA is New Adult (18-22--college aged protagonists).

That sounds like a relatively easy thing to do. Perhaps we could combine the existing list?
MMcA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just following Mark's suggestion of renaming things, I was suggesting to someone on the Amazon forums who was looking for a particular romance featuring a dyslexic heroine that they might look through the 'Less than Perfect' list to see if any of the titles ring a bell.

And when I looked for the actual link to cut and paste it in, I found that it reads likesbooks.com/disabled. I'm not technologically savvy enough to know if it'd be easy to change the wording in the link, but if you could, maybe the link could be changed to match the list title?
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:
Just following Mark's suggestion of renaming things, I was suggesting to someone on the Amazon forums who was looking for a particular romance featuring a dyslexic heroine that they might look through the 'Less than Perfect' list to see if any of the titles ring a bell.

And when I looked for the actual link to cut and paste it in, I found that it reads likesbooks.com/disabled. I'm not technologically savvy enough to know if it'd be easy to change the wording in the link, but if you could, maybe the link could be changed to match the list title?

Thanks, MMcA. I'm can deal with some of the HTML but don't know how to rename a link, but that's sure a candidate for renaming. I will pass this along to someone who might be able to do so.
CindyS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MMcA,

I just changed the link name for the the Less Than Perfect page.

Thanks
CindyS
Nana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:

Yes, definitely. I've really been enjoying the Jeannie Lin Chinese historicals, for instance, and I have a favorite romance about a Muslim couple that I'd love to be able to recommend somewhere.

My list:

1. Special settings
2. Young Adult Fiction (we don't even have Hunger Games on there!!!)
3. Unusual Professions (but maybe with a History 101-type proviso that the books need to actually reflect the profession in some way - I'd like the professions to be an integral part of the story)
4. Interethnic or new Multicultural category
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you who have let us know which of the Special Title Lists you would like to see updated first. We will be accepting suggestions through this Friday, August 24th, at midnight Eastern Daylight Time. After that point we need to do a lot of behind-the-scenes work to get the first four lists ready to be opened on Tuesday, September 4th.

If you haven't yet given us your preferences, you can either do it in this thread or in the comments section at the original blog post

http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=8668

We'll be checking both places.

Thanks again!
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! We're going to close the process now and tally up all of your choices so that we can open the first four lists on Tuesday, September 4th, 2012. We may ask you for additional suggestions and preferences in a few months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: