AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lisa Kleypas: DREAMLAKE excerpt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reading Dreamlake now, I am at the last third and it is such a good book, I am loving it. It made me cry already several times early in the story.
I did like Rainshadow Road but this one I am loving. For one the supernatural aspect is much better integrated here. And the characters are wonderful - bristly, troubled Alex and the funny things he sometimes says, lovely Zoe and her cooking - the way Kleypas describes the food is giving me cravings! The ghost. And Emma. Oh my.

I am sure I will cry at the end too.
Nicole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished this book last night, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Kleypas never lets me down. I've been taking a bit of a break from romances, but this book left me perfectly satisfied. Just what I was looking for. I also thought the magical realism elements were incorporated into the narrative more smoothly into this book than Rainshadow Road. I felt the ghost added something to the story, and contributed to Alex's character growth, which I felt was lacking from the other book. I also really liked Zoe as a heroine. I thought her personality was very appealing, and I felt that she really fit what Alex needed in a partner. I'd rate this one at a B+.
jaime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Word of caution - if you are on a diet this book will sabotage it, it's a foodie's wet dream.
Sputnik

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 2/3rd done and I really love the ghost. I'm not a paranormal fan at all, but this ghost is cool!
Charina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Lisa Kleypas: DREAMLAKE excerpt Reply with quote

I liked the series, but didn't love it. Honestly, I miss her historicals and hope she'll go back to writing them.

jaime wrote:
http://www.lisakleypas.com/bookdreamlake.asp

I am looking forward to this one. Smile
jaime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I read the Dream Lake review over at dearauthor and it's now official - the main reviewer there and I have totally different reading tastes: she usually gives good reviews to books I find meh and tends to pan books I like.
HEAreader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dreamlake Reply with quote

pd89 wrote:
Well to be honest, i found rainshadow road not as good as her other contemparies.
Hopefull Alex and the girl(i forgot her name) seem to have a hate-love reaction, so maybe this 1 will have the spice that is associated with LK

Totally agree. I loved her three contemporaries (the Travis family) and hoped RR would be similar. It seemed underdeveloped and a little forced to me.

Almost all her historicals are good reads - I have reread plenty of them. She is definitely a good author so I'm hoping for something better with the new one. Won't buy it though - will wait for a library copy. (And I have her other contemporaries in hardback.)
Kerstin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:
Very Happy Word of caution - if you are on a diet this book will sabotage it, it's a foodie's wet dream.

So true!!! If that hotel truly existed I would spend my summer holiday there and be one fat and happy woman.

I totally loved the book and finished it in two days. Now I'm eagerly waiting for "Crystal Cove".

Kerstin
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Dream Lake last night and mostly liked it. The expansion of the stained-glass window magic (showing that the modern incident was a reversal of history) was interesting. I had no problem with the ghost, but the miracle near the end came out of left field & surprised me. The book was very sensual/sensuous (not just in a sexual sense).
LordRose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Dream Lake, and it made feel feel incredibly hungry, even when I had just eaten.

The ghost was actually kind of interesting (although the ending depressed me, but those sorts always do), but he could get kind of annoying at times when I wanted more of the main romance, not finding out more about the ghost. The miracle part was a bit too WTF for me, though. I think I preferred the lighter magic in the previous books, but since the next one appears to be about a witch, there'll probably just be more. (Video games are good, though. I like video games.)
Charina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fear with Lisa Kleypas is that she is falling into Julie Garwood territory... that is, I'm not crazy for her contemporaries as I was for her historicals. Like Garwood, she is a much better writer of historical romances, definitely relationship and story building and the tortured hero... and the sex scenes were magical.

I connect much better with her historicals, than I do her contemporaries. I feel she is a much stronger writer, writing historicals and her contemporaries are 'eh'....

jaime wrote:
I am reading Dreamlake now, I am at the last third and it is such a good book, I am loving it. It made me cry already several times early in the story.
I did like Rainshadow Road but this one I am loving. For one the supernatural aspect is much better integrated here. And the characters are wonderful - bristly, troubled Alex and the funny things he sometimes says, lovely Zoe and her cooking - the way Kleypas describes the food is giving me cravings! The ghost. And Emma. Oh my.

I am sure I will cry at the end too.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got DREAM LAKE at the library, and though I liked it, it was not up to Kleypas's best, IMO. I wonder if she's trying to break into women's fiction. I thought you could skip or skim the first 25, 30--or more--pages easily, up until the hero goes to work for the heroine. I liked the her strength and the ghost's quest, but the hero was a little too uncommitted too long for my tastes, even though I knew the cause. I personally prefer when the hero is more involved, more loving then the heroine whom he chases; in this book, we see the heroine's attraction to the hero, but he resists her a lot.

I agree with the AAR reveiwer here that it was refreshing to see a woman who has to deal constantly with the stupid and demeaning assumptions made by men who are instantly attracted to her figure. I wish we had actually seen more of that, in the past and the present. I did appreciate Kleypas's theme that sometimes what seems to be smart (and cynical) assumptions about life and being removed from the romantic chase is really just fear, hurt, and cowardice.

Bottom line is would I recommend it Yes, although it's not Kleypas's best.
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the book late and have to agree with the few here who said it was not up to expectations. I'm a bit biased because I don't do ghosts very well in contemporary books that are supposed to make sense. Shocked Just takes all the credence out of the story for me. But even beyond that, the story itself was not that unique and not unlike some of the characters she's worked with before in different books and settings. I think from the brief excerpt I read from the final book, it'll not be on my wish list at all. Lisa Kleypas has been spiraling downhill for me lately and I believe this book sealed the deal. I really enjoyed the very first short book in this series; the rest, not at all. I know--spoilsport! Very Happy
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's unfortunately been quite a while since I've read and really liked a Lisa Kleypas book. The last one for me was Smooth-Talking Stranger and that was in 2009. I'm still interested in reading her new releases but more and more she's not an author that excites me or guarantees a good read. Her books have not fallen into completely bad reads for me either, but I'm just aware that she's a fairly average writer for me now. I'm still grateful though that she has such an amazing backlist of wonderful books.
Charina

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dreamlake Reply with quote

I adore Lisa Kleypas and she is an auto-buy for me. It pains me that I cannot get into this series. I am so disappointed, but more importantly, there's no word whether she will go back to writing historicals, or even contemporaries like her historicals.

I understand an author's need to do something else... that to grow as an author, it is essential to do broaden horizons and from a creative stand point, to do so not to get burned out doing the same-old.

But, the books she's writing now, I just simply can't get int to them. There's something missing and I think it's the passion that was so apparent in her other books. It's like when she toned down on the sensuality and passion, she lost something, and her 'voice' changed.

Maybe it's just me that feels that way.

HEAreader wrote:
pd89 wrote:
Well to be honest, i found rainshadow road not as good as her other contemparies.
Hopefull Alex and the girl(i forgot her name) seem to have a hate-love reaction, so maybe this 1 will have the spice that is associated with LK

Totally agree. I loved her three contemporaries (the Travis family) and hoped RR would be similar. It seemed underdeveloped and a little forced to me.

Almost all her historicals are good reads - I have reread plenty of them. She is definitely a good author so I'm hoping for something better with the new one. Won't buy it though - will wait for a library copy. (And I have her other contemporaries in hardback.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: