AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Julie Garwood - Sweet Talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always check in on discussions of JG's new releases w/hopes that the buzz will be positive. I loved Garwood's historicals and was disappointed when she switched to contemporaries. I read her first few releases and enjoyed them but they started going downhill IMHO and I stopped reading. Haven't read her in years. Looks like this one is more of the same. Boo hoo!
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinabelle wrote:
I always check in on discussions of JG's new releases w/hopes that the buzz will be positive. I loved Garwood's historicals and was disappointed when she switched to contemporaries. I read her first few releases and enjoyed them but they started going downhill IMHO and I stopped reading. Haven't read her in years. Looks like this one is more of the same. Boo hoo!

I felt and did the same as you, Tinabelle. Except until I saw this audio book available at the library and decided a free spin was worth a go. The book wasn't helped by the narrator's style at all, leaving me too much time to notice the many romance cliched phrases and mediocre writing. The start of the book was overcooked too IMO.

I did like the kid Henry, and I liked the "idea" of FBI agent Kinkaid but I agree he seemed cardboard flat-- except perhaps when he was interacting with his partner Ronin.

Her next book doesn't seem to be a followup with the other women or Ronin as I expected. JG's web site says Hotshot is next: Peyton Lockhart, a graduate of a prestigious French culinary school, has just lost her job as a foodcritic. Out of work and in a bad place personally, she's feeling awfully low. But then she's handed an unexpected opportunity. She, along with her sisters, is given Bishop's Cove, a small, luxurious oceanfront resort. Things would seem to be looking up; however, the opportunity comes with conditions. They must run the resort for one year and show a profit--only then will they own it. There are countless hindrances and too many people who want to stop them from succeeding. When obstacles turn into threats, Finn MacBain, a friend from Peyton's childhood and now an FBI agent, comes to her aid. He's rescued her before; maybe he can do it again. Finn excels at everything he tries, but when his relationship with Peyton turns into something he hadn't expected, he faces the challenge of his life.

FanFic has both books as stand alones; Amazon has a Aug 6, 2013 release for the new one.
Pan's Wife

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My theory is Julie Garwood has sold her name and now ghost writers crank out her books for publishers. Her last handful of books are so not her early works in terms of writing quality, tone, humor, character development and story strength. Either a different person(s) is writing her books or she had a stroke. I know an author sometimes burns out and repeats themselves or their stories get weak, but this is a case of someone not being able to write a sentence as well as they used to. There are plenty of really good authors out there for me to spend my money on, so Ms. Garwood is off my buy list for life.
dick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Garwood could ever, even in the historicals which everybody likes so much, lay claim to being much of a prose stylist. It wasn't her writing style that appealed as much as it was the tone of the stories and the gusto or something akin to it which infused those stories. Some writers, Garwood amongst them I think, whose primary interest is telling a story and are more interested in that than in sprucing up the telling of it. I look upon Garwood, JAK in her many manifestations, and some other authors, as always providing a reasonably good story at least and thus always a reasonably safe choice if not a particularly exciting one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: