AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gone Girl - SPOILERS -LOTS OF SPOILERS - CLICK WITH CAUTION
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jessi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Gone Girl - SPOILERS -LOTS OF SPOILERS - CLICK WITH CAUTION Reply with quote

Since the "is it worth buying?" thread is starting to slip into a true discussion and since every third person in that thread has asked for a spoiler thread, I thought I'd go ahead and create one.

IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THIS BOOK - BE WARNED

IT IS VERY EASILY SPOILED SIMPLY BY DISCUSSING THE PLOT.

SO - BEWARE - CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED, ETC. - SPOILERS AHEAD!
Jessi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started and finished it yesterday. Grabbed my husband after and looked deep into his eyes. "You love me, right? And in a normal non-psycho way? Right?". (shaking him by his shoulders while he looks around, bewildered, for help, perhaps from the dog). "It's really you in there, right? And not some version of you? And some new version is not going to kill me in my sleep, right? RIGHT??!!?"

This book made me feel like I needed to bathe and then go find a baby bunny to pat. So glad I read it Very Happy
xina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took it that Nick knew, very soon after they married, what he had gotten himself into. He still loved her though in a very dysfunctional way.
The first half of that book was the fake Amy, the second half is the Amy that Nick knew. Oh, boy!
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved how the I went from thinking Nick was a total A-hole monster to rooting for him to out smart her by the end. To be able to start the novel with one hero and villian and end with a completely different view. What a master.
Flynn nailed the female sociopath perfectly! Can you image marrying someone only to realize they have no conscience, no morals, no soul. What a nightmare.

I can appreciate wanting to bathe after reading this book. That and reach for a comfort read. Needed a happy ending after reading this book.

Yet it is strange ,after writing the above sentence, I still think it may be one of the best books I've read all year:) I am recommending it to everyone.
Jessi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwm in mi wrote:
I loved how the I went from thinking Nick was a total A-hole monster to rooting for him to out smart her by the end. To be able to start the novel with one hero and villian and end with a completely different view. What a master.

It was actually even more of a roller-coaster than that for me.

For the first couple of chapters I thought Nick was this awesome funny guy, wasn't so sure about Amy. Then, started questioning Nick - thinking, hrm, after reading more about Amy I need to remember there ARE two sides to every relationship. Then thinking..."Nick is kind of an ass." He's a jerk but not a killer. Then thinking...Amy's so sweet, and I'm a little scared for her. Maybe Nick really had some sort of psychotic break....Then thinking, dear God, he really is going to kill her.
Then thinking - OH MY GOD. RUN NICK! RUN! I'm so sorry I doubted you!

Then ending it all by thinking..."WTF, Nick?" You're an idiot if you do not kidnap the baby and move to Mexico. So by the end of the book the author has me advocating kidnapping. So-..good job, I think.

Also, I had kind of guessed about the stolen sperm a few chapters ahead, but...I mean - does sperm keep that long? Doesn't it take some kind of industrial freezer or can you just store it next to the Lean Cuisines and it'll keep?
xina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwm in mi wrote:
Flynn nailed the female sociopath perfectly! Can you image marrying someone only to realize they have no conscience, no morals, no soul. What a nightmare.

Yes, Flynn got the Crazy Amy thing down perfectly. And I agree with you about Nick. For many chapters, I thought that he killed her, but something niggled that the view was just to easy. I didn't expect Flynn to turn the tables. Didn't see that coming. Genius.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessi wrote:

Then ending it all by thinking..."WTF, Nick?" You're an idiot if you do not kidnap the baby and move to Mexico. So by the end of the book the author has me advocating kidnapping. So-..good job, I think.

Also, I had kind of guessed about the stolen sperm a few chapters ahead, but...I mean - does sperm keep that long? Doesn't it take some kind of industrial freezer or can you just store it next to the Lean Cuisines and it'll keep?

I agree, take that baby and run...hmmm a sequel- Gone Baby:)

See I bought the stolen frozen sperm. Amy was meticulous. If she researched how to drain a toilet to preserve pregnancy pee, she most definitely researched the exact temperature to freeze sperm and tested out her freezer. Can't you see her sticking a thermometer in freezer, and calmly sitting at the kitchen table, sipping coffee while waiting for a reading?

I loved loved the parts where Nick called on her former stalker and rapist. Chilling. Do you think he had any idea how crazy she was? I got the sense that he knew she was spiteful, but had no clue how deeply it ran.
Diana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Gone Baby. Heh.

It was an amazing ride. Not a misplaced or wasted word. Even as I started seeing how malicious Amy was, the end still knocked me senseless. I'd like to believe that Nick didn't destroy every copy of his manuscript.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
Heh. Gone Baby. Heh.

It was an amazing ride. Not a misplaced or wasted word. Even as I started seeing how malicious Amy was, the end still knocked me senseless. I'd like to believe that Nick didn't destroy every copy of his manuscript.

I didn't see that ending coming either. For a moment I thought Amy would be brought down, but it wasn't to be.
Fun book to discuss with people who have read it.
Margaret

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this book gets a failing grade from me there were some moments I enjoyed...the tv host, Ellen, who seemed like a Nancy Grace type. The author really nailed the speech pattern. Made me laugh.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
While this book gets a failing grade from me there were some moments I enjoyed...the tv host, Ellen, who seemed like a Nancy Grace type. The author really nailed the speech pattern. Made me laugh.

Me too! I could hear her voice.
Jessi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:

I'd love to hear why you disliked it so much - I love getting a different perspective!

It definitely made me sick to my stomach, but I was very entertained.
Margaret

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessi wrote:

I'd love to hear why you disliked it so much - I love getting a different perspective!

It definitely made me sick to my stomach, but I was very entertained.

Hi, Jessi. Most of my dislike is that it just wasn't believable. I never for one moment believed that Nick killed Amy...funny that the book was called Gone Girl...not Dead Girl. The science of today would discredit much of the 'evidence' Amy created, IMO. I do think that it would make a good dark comedy, if the movie does get made.
Nicole M.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this book, too. It's an amazing achievement for the author and I was incredibly impressed with the pacing, the prose, and the humor.

The ending was deeply disturbing (the idea of that woman being someone's mother is truly terrifying, although I think Nick could balance her out and be a decent parent) and yet, perfect. If it had ended with one triumphing over the other it would have been dissatisfying and cliched. The best moment, imo, is when Nick tells Amy he feels sorry for her because she has to wake up as herself every day. That line more than anything else had the power to zing Amy, and it also managed to humanize her--just a bit.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicole M. wrote:
The best moment, imo, is when Nick tells Amy he feels sorry for her because she has to wake up as herself every day. That line more than anything else had the power to zing Amy, and it also managed to humanize her--just a bit.

Yes, I remember that line. When I read that I remember thinking that he has to wake up with her everyday too and that would be just as bad. I cringed at Amy being a parent. So unstable, so crazy. yikes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: