AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Siren by Tiffany Reisz
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: The Siren by Tiffany Reisz Reply with quote

Very Happy Has anyone read this book? I just started it yesterday and I am IN. It has a different story line in that I am a little worried this might not end as all romances do with a happy ending. Because the Herione is a writer that is writting a novel that isn't going to have the Hero and Herione together at the end...

Notorious Nora Sutherlin is famous for her delicious works of erotica, each one more popular with readers than the last. But her latest manuscript is different—more serious, more personal—and she's sure it'll be her breakout book...if it ever sees the light of day.

Zachary Easton holds Nora's fate in his well-manicured hands. The demanding British editor agrees to handle the book on one condition: he wants complete control. Nora must rewrite the entire novel to his exacting standards—in six weeks—or it's no deal.

Nora's grueling writing sessions with Zach are draining…and shockingly arousing. And a dangerous former lover has her wondering which is more torturous—staying away from him...or returning to his bed?

Nora thought she knew everything about being pushed to your limits. But in a world where passion is pain, nothing is ever that simple.

This touches the darker part of BDSM, I am thinking, but it is in the Heroines past so I only for a brief moment wondered why she would let someone hurt her so much. I don't think I am into reading about a Sadist so thankfully this stepped close but hasn't made me uncomfortable, Confused yet.
texasriddler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this and liked it, but it does not follow typical romance rules and does not end with a nice, neat HEA. There is a sequel scheduled to come out in September.

If you keep reading, you will probably be quite shocked at some of the twists.
jaime

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is on my reading pile and came highly recommended. I was however told that it has some very touchy and controversial subjects and is not really a romance and does not have a HEA. It's also the first in a series with the second one I believe coming soon.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:
This is on my reading pile and came highly recommended. I was however told that it has some very touchy and controversial subjects and is not really a romance and does not have a HEA. It's also the first in a series with the second one I believe coming soon.

I read the first half and had to put it down. Too dark and intense for me. Very strong BDSM themes and not for the faint at heart. But it is well written.
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I am taking the warning! I am getting the idea it is going to get more uncomfortable, but I agree that it seems really well written. I might type well but I am a reading snob, I have a hard time with weak writting. The stories that seem like the authors are just cranking out.

I am going to keep reading (at this point maybe for warned is for armed) and if a sequel comes out in Sept, I am glad I didn't find it until now, so the wait isn't too long. Also knowing there is a sequel means that maybe the HEA comes then? Like in Fifty it didn't end with a HEA, she had walked.

Ok, thanks for the heads up, bracing for dark.
willaful

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone else. If you can deal with how disturbing it is, it's very rewarding, but it's not going to leave you with that contented feeling you get at the end of a great romance.
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Wow Finished Reply with quote

Just finished. I have to say I would recommend The Siren, with a warning to read past the first few uncomfortable parts, that it is worth the time. The characters are believable, damaged and dare I say All are likeable.

I don't for one minute understand the desire to be beaten, but as she says in the story, Rugby???? That made me really think about human's interest in pushing themselves and that sometimes is painful. I work in a gym and on a daily bases push myself past the moment I want to stop. I also as a teenager, loved and I mean loved to play football with the neighborhood boys. I loved them grabbing and throwing me down on the ground. I think that was because they always came down too so the landing was hard in a very personal way. Note to self: arrange football game with husband Wink So I was able to put aside, the extreme kink of giving and taking beatings, because I can give an easy pass to light kink and just like art it must be in the eye of the beholder.

I am going to have to reflect on the story, but I am thinking it end as it should of and it is a HEA.
jaime

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished this today.

Spoilers:

Very well written story about two beautiful monsters and the awful things they do to each other and others in their circle. The obvious monster of course - Soren the sadist. With a love like his I think I prefer hate. It didn't bother me that he was a catholic priest - I have learned to expect the worst of catholic clergy over the years and I don't believe that celibacy is a viable concept anyways. I think that celibacy goes against human nature. But it did bother me very much how Soren took advantage and abused the female protagonist, a young girl who was in his care, long before he started their sick sexual relationship. What was more of a shock was that Nora/Eleanor turned out to be a monster too. The scene were she has sex with that 15 year old boy made me extremely uneasy. What was also very difficult for me was that I was constantly afraid that Nora and/or Soren were going to hurt and destroy Wesley - he was the character I loved and I feared for him the entire story.

I actually think the ending was sort of happy: Zach went back to his wife and Nora in a moment of clear-sightedness or decency or whatever you want to call it gave up Wesley.
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:
I finished this today.
Very well written story about two beautiful monsters and the awful things they do to each other and others in their circle.

I sort of agree and sort of don't. I haven't decided if they are monsters. I know that might be surprising, but I was left thinking. I know I clearly am not interested in being involved in that level of SM, but it did make me stop and think everything is about degrees or levels, and I get that the more involved you may become the more levels you go to. What Solen did to her and what she apparently did to others is beyond me, but I say they are monsters if parts are welling.

jaime wrote:
But it did bother me very much how Soren took advantage and abused the female protagonist, a young girl who was in his care, long before he started their sick sexual relationship. What was more of a shock was that Nora/Eleanor turned out to be a monster too. The scene were she has sex with that 15 year old boy made me extremely uneasy. What was also very difficult for me was that I was constantly afraid that Nora and/or Soren were going to hurt and destroy Wesley - he was the character I loved and I feared for him the entire story.

I actually think the ending was sort of happy: Zach went back to his wife and Nora in a moment of clear-sightedness or decency or whatever you want to call it gave up Wesley.

I was glad she didn't go into much detail about how this all came about between Soren/Ellenore because I do have a problem with that and what they did with Michael (she of-course didn't know but still). And the fact that she knew going back to Soren would cause Wesley to leave her showed something of her "good nature" she set him free. I was never completely sure why she left Soren, so her going back to him wasn't a problem for me.

As a whole I really thought it was a very surprising story and one of the most orginal things I have read in a long time.

Apparently there are 2 other books in this "series" with one more coming out.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paged through this at B&N and it is too hardcore for me, I am a BDSM lightweight! It reminded me a bit of the book 9 1/2 weeks with how much beating was inflicted.

Linda
jaime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are going to be at least two more books in this series, first The Angel and then The Prince:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15704485-the-prince

And there are some free stories related to the series available on Reisz' website:

http://tiffanyreisz.com/storytime/freebies-sextras/
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
I paged through this at B&N and it is too hardcore for me, I am a BDSM lightweight! It reminded me a bit of the book 9 1/2 weeks with how much beating was inflicted.

Linda

I never read 9 1/2 weeks, I didn't even realize there was a book, actually. And from the movie I don't remember any beats, only food and blindfolds, but that was a long time ago, so maybe my memory has faded.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
[I never read 9 1/2 weeks, I didn't even realize there was a book, actually. And from the movie I don't remember any beats, only food and blindfolds, but that was a long time ago, so maybe my memory has faded.

The book is more hardcore than the movie, it's been years since I read it so it could seem exaggerated in my mind but I don't think so..

Linda
jaime

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I both read 9 1/2 Weeks the book and watched the movie years ago and from what I remember the movie was pretty ridiculous - out to titillate the vanilla crowd. And the book didn't seem like a true representation of the BDSM culture either and wasn't that well written.

All the problems I had with The Siren came from me being upset about what these characters were doing to each other and had nothing to do with Tiffany Reisz' writing which is beautiful, compelling and very funny at times.

Spoilers for the next two books -

I see from the synopsis that Wesley is back. Oh dear. That poor boy is not getting out of this series without at the very least having his heart broken.
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:

All the problems I had with The Siren came from me being upset about what these characters were doing to each other and had nothing to do with Tiffany Reisz' writing which is beautiful, compelling and very funny at times.

Spoilers for the next two books -

I see from the synopsis that Wesley is back. Oh dear. That poor boy is not getting out of this series without at the very least having his heart broken.

I think Wesley got his heart broken at the end of The Siren, but like happens to must of us, a heartbreak isn't always a bad thing. I am thinking he isn't getting out of the series with is virginity.

I agree that Tiffany's writing is terrific and she doesn't have to throw the kitchen sink (what I call what E.L James did with FSoG) in the story to get the pages. Tiffany can WRITE deep complex characters that really make you think.

I today I finished a suspense serial killer HEA romance and it made me think about how reading the gore of the serial killer and what he was doing to his prey while he held them captive should be much more upsetting then reading what constenting adults do. Funny how society picks what reads are more acceptable than others. Funnier that the one most of us find more upsetting is the one that should be much less upsetting than a monster torturing helpless women.

Just thinking.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: