AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions for AAR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vol Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWNN wrote:

The reviews are AARs greatest resource and it's wonderful to find reviews on older books. It would be nice if once a week or so if AAR was to highlight an older DIK book review on the front page - especially with all the new e-book re-releases.

I LOVE this idea and agree with your statement that AARs greatest resource is the reviews!
LordRose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicole wrote:
I personally would find a section dedicated to upcoming releases to be really helpful. Just something posted by month as to what new books are releasing. I'd really like that. I know the blog does a post on what the reviewers are looking forward to, and I look through that, but I think a more generalized post would be better.

There is, actually. If you look under "Features", there's a "Romances on Sale" page. http://likesbooks.com/coming.html
Nicole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LordRose"]
Nicole wrote:
I personally would find a section dedicated to upcoming releases to be really helpful. Just something posted by month as to what new books are releasing. I'd really like that. I know the blog does a post on what the reviewers are looking forward to, and I look through that, but I think a more generalized post would be better.

There is, actually. If you look under "Features", there's a "Romances on Sale" page. http://likesbooks.com/coming.html[/quote

Nice, thanks.
karat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved these suggestions:
Jessi wrote:
1) improve the search mechanism!
----allow me to choose Book Type and then let me choose more than one grade...
3) link the special title listings to the AAR review if there was one.
4) if there was an AAR review, list the grade beside the special title listing

and
PWNN wrote:
My main suggestion though it probably the most difficult to implement. I'd like better integration with the blogs and the message board. The immediacy of the blog posts is great but what is lost is the continuing and evolving conversation that can be had on Message Boards due to better search and renewed topics being able to be brought back to the the top. The problem with the blog posts is that if I read one a week later it's pretty much too late to bother posting. If main theme/book/etc blog posts could be archived/repeated/linked etc from topics on the forum (in their own Blog section) say a week later that could keep alive a lot of interesting topics.

Also, would like to add one more suggestion: It would be great to have new Mini-polls (Top 10s), or to revisit the old ones. It seems like the last mini-poll was done in 2009, right? Sorry if the reason for that had already been addressed before - it is just that, for me, the mini-polls are not only fun to participate in, and see the different preferences of other readers, but also an additional source of reference about a specific theme (in addition to the Special Title Listings). Therefore, I would love to see them updated / expanded.
LynnS/AAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:

But why do business that way? Why not just deal with it and get it over with?

Eliza -

I appreciate that you have concerns. However, please keep in mind that running this site is a group effort and that lots of planning goes on behind the scenes in terms of implementing changes. For instance, one thing we are looking at is updating the sticky at the top of the boards to clarify the moderation guidelines so that we can hopefully have more and better discussions. Just because someone does not see something on the board immediately after posting a suggestion does not mean that things aren't happening.

That being said, thank you to everyone for all of your suggestions!

LynnS.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karat wrote:
Also, would like to add one more suggestion: It would be great to have new Mini-polls (Top 10s), or to revisit the old ones. It seems like the last mini-poll was done in 2009, right? Sorry if the reason for that had already been addressed before - it is just that, for me, the mini-polls are not only fun to participate in, and see the different preferences of other readers, but also an additional source of reference about a specific theme (in addition to the Special Title Listings). Therefore, I would love to see them updated / expanded.

Hi Karat, I'm one of the three pollsters at AAR, along with LeeB and CindyS, and we're the three who last updated the mini-polls and the Favorite Books by Favorite Authors, along with doing the Annual Poll each year and the Top 100 Poll every three years (next due in October of 2013).

We three were actually pretty excited as we prepared for the last updates to the mini-polls, and thought there would be lots of excitement by readers. Unfortunately, there wasn't anywhere near as much reader participation as we had hoped for the mini-polls, and some of the updates were a bit of a flop in terms of voting. So, much so, that we've put them a bit on the back-burner. This doesn't mean we won't ever update them again, but we spent a lot of time behind the scenes preparing for something that turned out pretty disappointing.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More romantic/erotic fiction reviews would be appreciated. It might be nice to have an occasional blog/update section on news from favorite authors, sort of like previews for movies.
karat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinnieGayl wrote:
Hi Karat, I'm one of the three pollsters at AAR, along with LeeB and CindyS, and we're the three who last updated the mini-polls and the Favorite Books by Favorite Authors, along with doing the Annual Poll each year and the Top 100 Poll every three years (next due in October of 2013).

We three were actually pretty excited as we prepared for the last updates to the mini-polls, and thought there would be lots of excitement by readers. Unfortunately, there wasn't anywhere near as much reader participation as we had hoped for the mini-polls, and some of the updates were a bit of a flop in terms of voting. So, much so, that we've put them a bit on the back-burner. This doesn't mean we won't ever update them again, but we spent a lot of time behind the scenes preparing for something that turned out pretty disappointing.

Hi, LinnieGayl, thank you very much for the explanation. I am sorry to hear that reader participation in the mini-polls was limited, and I understand your decision to focus on the Annual Poll and the Top 100 Poll. But I am happy to see that your last experience with the mini-polls did not make you give up on them for good - maybe after some time readers might be willing to contribute actively to them (one can only hope Very Happy ). Anyway, thanks a lot for your post!
willaful

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the annual poll was more fun a few years ago, when there were wackier categories. I remember looking forward to certain ones all year, then being really bummed when they were gone. I don't think I even bothered to vote that year.
dick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no specific recommendations as many of the posters do. In general, though, I would like to see the boards get "livelier." Even the 50 shades/50 shames discussion/argument, for example, even though disturbing to some on some levels, livened things up a bit from the gossipy content of the previous weeks. I've been visiting the boards for at least 10 years, posted quite a bit at times, but in the last months, I've found very few discussions I was interested enough in to join. Admittedly, that may very well be a flaw in me, but somehow, I think that is the thrust of many of the comments made prior to this thread and some of the comments in this thread. I have no idea how to accomplish this change. I've tried in the past to make some posts deliberately contentious/outrageous, but had little success in provoking the kind of discussions which, in my opinion, AAR was justly famous for.
cawm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
I've tried in the past to make some posts deliberately contentious/outrageous, but had little success in provoking the kind of discussions which, in my opinion, AAR was justly famous for.

I think it's hopeless Dick. I loved the long, argumentative discussions that used to take place at AAR, but they've been gone for several years, and current posters seem to prefer what you call gossipy content.
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a regular visitor to AAR since 1999 and it is still one of my daily stops, but my stops are definitely shorter than they used to be because there is less I read here.
I like the way the last redesign puts 2 new reviews on the home page most days--I've read more reviews (and bought more books based on reviews) since that change than in all the years before.
More frequent updates of some of the add-on material would, as several others have already said, be nice.
Since I don't use Facebook or Twitter, I'm not interested in seeing other sites emulate them.
I would prefer for the blog content to be in on-site columns with follow-up on these message boards as used to be done, because that generates more and longer discussion threads (as others have already pointed out).
I've occasionally tried to start discussions without getting any responses, as with my recent paranormal taxonomy post.
Margaret

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

I would prefer for the blog content to be in on-site columns with follow-up on these message boards as used to be done, because that generates more and longer discussion threads (as others have already pointed out).

I agree. I think the best/most unique part of AAR is the conversations it generates. Blogs are not the best forum for this. Bring all content back under the same umbrella (with the exception of twitter).

Avoid alienating users (much of the "competition" grew from this), and when you ask for suggestions, be prepared for the results.

I haven't read a romance in months, but I do enjoy the mystery/thriller/suspense reviews and discussions.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please check the news blog today for an announcement about the Special Title Listings:

http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=8668
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LynnS/AAR wrote:
I appreciate that you have concerns. However, please keep in mind that running this site is a group effort and that lots of planning goes on behind the scenes in terms of implementing changes...."
LynnS -
Okay, I'll come out and say it: Suggestions while...interesting...IMO are a sidestep away from something that had been going wrong for a while that came to a head on 7/16. It's now 8/13. The following comments should have been addressed since they were not feature oriented. BTW, the last two comments in this list show the statement that was either misread or dismissed like others that resulted in the sidestep to these suggestions when you already had the heart of the problem already clearly spelled out. They were:

--I fail to understand why anyone thinks not liking a book and/or boggling at it's breakout success means one is carrying a pitchfork.

--But from your repeated responses to anything even slightly negative about these books one could assume....

--WOW, Sandy, seriously??? Official post from an official publisher? Wow! And your website is headquartered in America? The America that is so proud of its First Amendment? Seriously? I expect you will rename the AAR "Fifty Shades of Gray - Americans Only - Fan Club" any day now.

--I agree with you and I am quite surprised at the response here on this forum (which still seems to be on-going months after I last visited the forum) to people who did not like FSOG with them being accused of being, among other things, bitter. That is such a trite and insulting argument but moreover, it's incredibly condescending.

--I felt bad for PWNN and how she was effectively being derided with no one defending what I thought was unnecessary behaviour towards her so I wanted to comment because, like I also said, the way this forum has been going lately, it didn't (and doesn't) sit well with me that people think they can address others with that type of attitude and insult them when they have a differing opinion or think it's ok because they have a few other people on their side

--I was kind of interested in seeing your answer to Eliza and, when one didn't appear after a few days, I thought I'd make the tentative suggestion that Eliza might not be the only person thinking this.

--But where is the provocation in this topic? Was the mere posting of this topic considered provocation? Is any topic in any way criticizing or heaven for-fend poking fun at a BOOK considered sufficient provocation to be uncivil or snarky to fellow posters? I haven't noticed that trend on this board where there are multiple topics criticizing books, authors and themes.

--More and more I am saddened at what I see happening here at AAR.... I’ve debated for quite some time now on whether to ‘say’ anything. In fact I was even talking to my sister about my frustration coming here anymore and she asked why I did. ...I think we are starting to see those of us who have visited and loved this site for years finally voicing our 'distress' over what is currently going on

--Anything else will be drowned out - has been drowned out for months! ... Yes, I've been coming here for years now and I have NEVER seen this kind of behavior.

--Lately, though, every visit makes me so annoyed that I'm coming less and less often....To be clear, this is not about the 50 shades threads, although they are a very good example of what's gone wrong. Any time a potentially interesting discussion starts, it's immediately taken over....I debated whether to post anything at all, or just delete the link from my browser and be done with it.

-- The problem with the AAR forums is not that they've become snarky; at least snark can be funny. What's going on here is a small number of people who choose to be unpleasant to others and take over the discussion, which is not at all the same thing. I also feel that the forums are not moderated as well as they could be.

--The use of the word flounce conjures drama queens and two year olds having a tantrum. The people who have expressed critical views in this thread are neither. It would be much easier to just ignore AAR, but many of us are long-time readers and posters who are concerned about where this website is heading. This sort of involvement should be welcomed, not dismissed.

--It's also unfortunate that you chose not to address the substance of my comment, as well as other people's....

And finally the step to where we are now:

--I don't think it's the right place for me anymore...

--The answer was: Yes, as one of the site owners, I do not feel as if this thread is the appropriate place for a discussion about what's wrong with AAR.

And off we go.

Then:
Quote:
For instance, one thing we are looking at is updating the sticky at the top of the boards to clarify the moderation guidelines so that we can hopefully have more and better discussions. Just because someone does not see something on the board immediately after posting a suggestion does not mean that things aren't happening.

The sticky was a kind suggestion for the future but the horse has already been long gone from the corral and what the quotes above already showed is what needed attention.

All that's left now is for the very same poster to follow one of my posts yet again for the umpteenth time with one of her own, and who I still will refuse to be baited by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: