AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions for AAR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eliza

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the following, and apologize in advance for the length of the post, but I didn't want to take credit for others' ideas while adding my thoughts to theirs:
Quote:
AAR's loss of "voice"

Quote:
The Special Titles Listings

Quote:
RE The friendliness of the boards: I think a more clearly defined commenting policy would help. I've read the 'sticky', and I think the hands-off approach is the right one. However, for times when a mod feels the need to step in, it might be helpful to have an actual commenting policy to refer people to so that they can see how and in what way they are in violation. Otherwise, accusations of partiality are clearly a risk.
(Note: This may have helped Kristie(J) from unfortunately being in focus twice recently on two threads by different moderators.)
Quote:
that the threads in each forum have an alternating shading thing

Quote:
"feud"
I respectfully ask that along with our taking deep breaths we use neutral terms whereever possible: disagreement for feud, leave for flounce, and so on. Picky, I know, but it can't hurt.
Quote:
We need to maintain the respect for one another's opinions on the message boards
Yes, this. In addition to thoughtful word choices, it would also be helpful for moderators only to ask posters to leave specific threads.
Quote:
it would be fun to have a special spot to discuss and/or review old bodice rippers

Quote:
if there was an AAR review, list the grade beside the special title listing

Quote:
Update the polls page so I can find the most recent top 100 poll!

Quote:
special title listing...for interracial romance with African American females or Asian heroines... (etc)

Quote:
I may be wrong but it does feel like there's almost consensus when it comes to a lot of topics. I always like to see diversity of opinions and differing views.

Quote:
I've been reading and posting at AAR for at least a decade, and within the last year, I've been reading and posting here less and less for precisely the reasons given by KristieJ, Rosario, and Yulie in the 50 Shades parody thread. If you really want to know how to make it better, listen to what people are saying instead of brushing it off.

Quote:
If you are talking about (a) potential movie, that discussion probably belongs on the General Chat forum.

Quote:
start a new thread if folks want to discuss..."If you liked ..., you should read ... "

Should that new thread be on potpourri or let's talk?
Lea AAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza - I'm not clear on your question "Should that new thread be on potpourri or let's talk?"

If you are talking about "start a new thread if folks want to discuss..."If you liked ..., you should read ... ", you would use the Romance Potpourri forum.

Also, for those who are new to AAR since we last updated an If You Like or Special Title list, AAR will ask for your input when updating specific lists. It's not all lists at one time.

Audiobooks Bookshelf at Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4403718
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lea AAR wrote:
Eliza - I'm not clear on your question "Should that new thread be on potpourri or let's talk?"

If you are talking about "start a new thread if folks want to discuss..."If you liked ..., you should read ... ", you would use the Romance Potpourri forum.

Lea, can I clarify this as it pertains to Fifty Shades of Grey since I think that's where Eliza quoted her question from?

Are we being directed to start two additional threads regarding FSoG? A thread in the Potpourri forum for recommendations of books that are similar to Fifty Shades of Grey, a thread in the Chat Forum for posting movie info, in addition to the thread in the FSoG thread in the Let's Talk Forum which is to be used only to discuss the book's content more specifically?

Linda

Last edited by Linda in sw va on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:45 am; edited 2 times in total
MissRubyJones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally stole these from another poster, but here are three things I'd like to see:
2) More updates to Special Title listings (last updated 4/2010!!!)
3) link the special title listings to the AAR review if there was one.
4) if there was an AAR review, list the grade beside the special title listing

Also, the At the Back Fence articles were always so great. I still go back and re-read some of them. Not to denigrate the blog posts, which are, for the most part, great as well, but I've not found another website that did what AtBF did as well as AtBF did it (if that makes sense).
Lea AAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Lea AAR wrote:

Lea, can I clarify this as it pertains to Fifty Shades of Grey since I think that's where Eliza quoted her question from?

Are we being directed to start two additional threads regarding FSoG? A thread in the Potpourri forum for recommendations of books that are similar to Fifty Shades of Grey, a thread in the Chat Forum for posting movie info, in addition to the thread in the FSoG thread in the Let's Talk Forum which is to be used only to discuss the book's content more specifically?

Linda

I was attempting to understand the request. I took it to mean "Do we talk about If You Like and Special Title Lists on Let's Talk or Romance Potpourri?" And the answer was Romance Potpourri.

For your question, the current Fifty thread on Let's Talk suffices for both the book discussion and recommendations of similar books. However, I suggested a separate thread on the General Chat forum for talk of the Fifty movie. In the previous Fifty threads, the book discussion was often lost in the midst of speculation of who may be chosen to play a part, etc. It's a special situation, I know, as we usually see all of that in one thread. But with the excitement of Fifty making it to the theatre at some time in the future, it's best to let that be a separate thread and allow the book discussion to be front and center on the Let's Talk forum.

Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lea AAR wrote:
[For your question, the current Fifty thread on Let's Talk suffices for both the book discussion and recommendations of similar books. However, I suggested a separate thread on the General Chat forum for talk of the Fifty movie. In the previous Fifty threads, the book discussion was often lost in the midst of speculation of who may be chosen to play a part, etc. It's a special situation, I know, as we usually see all of that in one thread. But with the excitement of Fifty making it to the theatre at some time in the future, it's best to let that be a separate thread and allow the book discussion to be front and center on the Let's Talk forum.

Got it and it's no problem! I can see where discussion of the book can easily get lost among posts about the movie. Thanks for the clarification that it's ok to discuss book recommendations for similar books in the original thread.

Linda
Eliza

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lea AAR wrote:

Also, for those who are new to AAR since we last updated an If You Like or Special Title list, AAR will ask for your input when updating specific lists. It's not all lists at one time.

Hi Lea,

I wasn't referring to the features but to LynnS/AAR's post as Linda said (trying to be too careful I suppose by not engaging in a 50 discussion again):
Quote:
... However, I think the time has come to start a new thread if folks want to discuss 50 Shades or the "If you liked 50 shades, you should read..." question.
http://www.likesbooks.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=10429&start=150

Sorry. This is likely a good example for Anne Gresly's suggestion earlier in this thread. So if I understand correctly, it's okay to combine the two if there's an existing thread on a book, but if you start a new thread looking for books like, say, Lord of Scoundrels, that would be placed in Potpourri? Do I have that right or wrong?
Lea AAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could start a new thread on the Potpourri forum which specifies "Books similar to FSOG." No problem with that. But often within the discussion of a book on the Let's Talk forum, posters provide recommendations of similar reads. It's all part of the discussion of the book.

If there was an active Lord of Scoundrels discussion on Let's Talk, the same holds true. As people posts their thoughts on LOS, they may talk about similar books, expanding the conversation to include other books but still keeping the focus on LOS. We can always split a thread if it evolves into two distinct discussions.

But, if your thread asks the question, "I loved Lord of Scoundrels. Can you recommend other books like it?" Then that belongs on the Potpourri forum as it is talking about more than one book.

If the Fifty discussion starts revolving around Fifty fanfic, I suggest starting a thread on the Potpourri forum along the lines of "Fifty fanfic - what have you discovered?"

PWNN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like an updated Special Title Listings (I rec the lists all over the place) and would also like to see updates to "Favorite Books by Favorite Authors" with not only updated lists but new authors. Ditto the "If You Like".

I think the Audio Books section should be moved up the board after Potpourri since it probably tends to gets overlooked way down there. I appreciate the offsite links to Audio Book reviews though I'd prefer to have them on site and more easily searchable.

The reviews are AARs greatest resource and it's wonderful to find reviews on older books. It would be nice if once a week or so if AAR was to highlight an older DIK book review on the front page - especially with all the new e-book re-releases.

My main suggestion though it probably the most difficult to implement. I'd like better integration with the blogs and the message board. The immediacy of the blog posts is great but what is lost is the continuing and evolving conversation that can be had on Message Boards due to better search and renewed topics being able to be brought back to the the top. The problem with the blog posts is that if I read one a week later it's pretty much too late to bother posting. If main theme/book/etc blog posts could be archived/repeated/linked etc from topics on the forum (in their own Blog section) say a week later that could keep alive a lot of interesting topics.
Eliza

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Lea: Thank you very much for the expanded explanation. I got it this time. Smile
Elaine S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissRubyJones wrote:
I totally stole these from another poster, but here are three things I'd like to see:
2) More updates to Special Title listings (last updated 4/2010!!!)
3) link the special title listings to the AAR review if there was one.
4) if there was an AAR review, list the grade beside the special title listing

Also, the At the Back Fence articles were always so great. I still go back and re-read some of them. Not to denigrate the blog posts, which are, for the most part, great as well, but I've not found another website that did what AtBF did as well as AtBF did it (if that makes sense).

I agree wholeheartedly about the special titles listings. I have used them extensively and have read my way through quite a few of them over the 10+ years I've been enjoying AAR. Sometimes I read a book and think "that's perfect for the X special titles list" but without them being updated there's no opportunity to pass on the word. I'd love to see them updated at least twice a year and along the lines above.

I also agree that the old ATBF columns were very good although the blog posts are as well. I am ambivalent as to which are/were better as both have excellent attributes.
Eliza

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More time has passed. Without the problems from the Fifty Shames thread being addressed. So, my #1 suggestion and priority is that happen sometime sooner than wait much longer. I understand that it is tricky to do, but to not do so is insulting and damaging to credibility IMO. You don't need me to tell you the appearance of partiality and the ability (or not) to handle these types of situations is not a positive for a book board trying to attract readers and advertisers.

1. Anne Gresly offered a neutral way for a way out or to make a statement, but that hasn't happened, nor has it even been addressed.

2. Although I really do appreciate the appearance of Blythe, Lynn and Lea, what has been addressed thus far has tended to be more "mechanical" board issues rather than the heart of what those other posts were about.

3. I was glad to see that Lynn valued Rosario and that Blythe valued NoirFemme, but I am angered more than I can begin to tell you at Kristie(J) being the one double-teamed after all that Linda and xina had done for months previously, and Linda being called on "rehashing" rather than baiting, interference, sarcasm, etc. And I'm angry for no one stepping up for Yulie either. And what about the others' bullied or at least annoyed by what had been going on? And now, to have the whole thing reduced to calling it "feuding" is...unbelievable.

4. It would have been easier to walk away, but I have little to no tolerance for bullying or partiality. If this had been a day or two event, I would have agreed with dick--step back. But this was months in the making before it blew-- with no one of authority stepping in.

5. As has been said before--many times--this is a private board. So of course feel free to continue as you have. As Rosario said, you can tell me too not to let the door to hit me on the way out, with a flounce; or as Kristie(J) said, just ban me. You can continue to lose posters and lurkers and then attract new replacements as someone else suggested. But why do business that way? Why not just deal with it and get it over with?
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza, the constant stream of personal attacks is getting tiring, as well as using Xina and myself as a means to attack AAR. I'm all for AAR stepping in to settle it one way or the other. I've been careful with my posts since this whole thing has been brought up, please note that the recent discussion of FSoG has been quite positive and enjoyable aside from the mocking replies.

I'll go along with whatever AAR wants to do, even if they wanted to close the thread, though I hope not. Enough with the animosity.

Linda
PatW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a thread gets to the point that I find it aggravating, offensive, or nasty (or boring, for that matter) -I just stop reading it. And since each of us have different levels of tolerance and types of comments that trigger problems, I get to be the one making the decision.

As a point of reference I have not read either Fifty thread for months.
Nicole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatW wrote:
When a thread gets to the point that I find it aggravating, offensive, or nasty (or boring, for that matter) -I just stop reading it. And since each of us have different levels of tolerance and types of comments that trigger problems, I get to be the one making the decision.

As a point of reference I have not read either Fifty thread for months.

Me too Pat. I don't think it's necessary to edit threads or topics from the boards, I just stop reading them if they become off putting. I would like it if some of the posters were a bit more civil. I don't think this is a change the site needs to make, just something we should all collectively work on. I don't mind a bit of back and forth in a disagreement, but I do find some of the recent exchanges between folks to be distasteful. It certainly does not encourage me to participate in the discussion even if I were to find it interesting.

I think a lot of the suggestions so far are great. I'd like to see the reader poll updated. I do read the AAR blog, but I just don't think it's really up to the same level as someone the other blogs out there in terms of industry information and news. So maybe try brining in some fresh voices to contribute to the blog would be helpful.

I personally would find a section dedicated to upcoming releases to be really helpful. Just something posted by month as to what new books are releasing. I'd really like that. I know the blog does a post on what the reviewers are looking forward to, and I look through that, but I think a more generalized post would be better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: