AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifty shades new discussion (6th FSOG thread)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerstin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Fifty shades new discussion (6th FSOG thread) Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Hi Kerstin! Are you looking for a link to recs? Bared to You has been getting a lot of attention, though personally I did not care for it others have. There isn't a BDSM theme but the plot features a rich handsome man and the heroine while more confident than Ana is also kinda clumsy and gets nervous speaking around him.

Gabriel's Inferno is also some Twilight fan fiction that's getting attention lately and it has a sequel that's titled Gabriel's Rapture. Again I don't think there is the BDSM aspect though.

For me the only mainstream romance that I think comes close with the kinky sex would be Patience by Lisa Valdez. I enjoyed it but her prose is a bit purple. It's a historical.

There is some Fifty fan fiction out there right now that is excellent! This author takes us from the beginning via Christian's point of view. I can't rave about it enough, she has him nailed.

http://christiangrey50shades.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/meet-fifty-shades-continued-previously.html?zx=eba44292a1a9646

When it came to the trilogy I thought the first was the best, Fifty Shades Darker but slightly less enjoyable, really didn't love the 3rd one, it came to a point where I started skimming the sex scenes. But then it's typical of me to like the first book in a series first, that moment of discovery is special.

Linda

Thanks for the recs! "Bared to you" sounds interesting. The BDSM aspect in FSOG interested my only insofar as it made the struggle the two had with each other so very real. Usually you have that kind of plot without the BDSM angle which makes it for me hard to get what the problem actually is.

It seems often so artificial: Boy meets girl and you know that they are meant for each other but they dance around each other for two hundred and more pages because...the author makes them so. Not so here. While I never doubted Christian's feelings for Ana and vice versa I thought that in real life or in another kind of book they would have separated kind of like Barbara Streisand and Robert Redford did in "The way we were" You know, lovers who really love each other dearly but just can't live together. But as there was a part two I was prepared to accept a happier ending and just was curious how the author was to reconcile these two incompatible people.

However I felt that in part two they came together waaay too quickly. It was kind of anti climatic after the dramatic finale in part one. Why not let the two be separated for a couple of months, even a year perhaps? Also I really liked the heroine in part one- I didn't feel she was stupid (after all she never signed the contract). She just really was very young and very much in love. I think that is the age where we are willing to risk the most for love and where we are prone (no matter how intelligent we are or how high we score in school) to make some mistakes (like hitch hiking, hooking up with a teacher or a married man, drinking oneself in a stupor...the list of youthful stupidities is endless...).

However in part two she seemed more adolescent to me, less likable than in the first part. Not that I dislike her now but I found her more interesting in the first book.

What would interest me: Did you already have meaty discussions on the boards and can I still find them here?

You and I usually had differing views on these kinds of books, sadly I now can't get myself riled up because of the content. I do not find it to be controversial. I even liked Christian though he was a bit of a nutter. Am I getting old? Those books used to rile me up and made me bemoan the fate of feminism. *Sigh*

Kerstin
Lea AAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link to the first Fifty discussion. There's a total of five as we must start a new thread once the previous thread becomes too large for some of our users to load.

http://likesbooks.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=9935&start=0

The last post in the thread has a link to the new thread. It will be so with each thread.

Audiobooks Bookshelf at Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4403718
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fifty shades new discussion Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:
[Thanks for the recs! "Bared to you" sounds interesting. The BDSM aspect in FSOG interested my only insofar as it made the struggle the two had with each other so very real. Usually you have that kind of plot without the BDSM angle which makes it for me hard to get what the problem actually is.

Ah, well I think for me the BDSM aspect certainly made it interesting and sexy at times but only because it was romanticized as it usually is in erotca or romantica. I think maybe you haven't read the 3rd book yet? I don't want to spoil but what I loved most about the romance in FSoG is the compromise that Ana and Christian are willing to make. He lets her know it turns him on but he doesn't want to do anything she's not comfortable with and she's willing to try new things and go lightly into the BDSM aspect for her and ends up enjoying some of it. So for me it was the perfect coming together where each partner gives equal consideration for the other.

Quote:
It seems often so artificial: Boy meets girl and you know that they are meant for each other but they dance around each other for two hundred and more pages because...the author makes them so. Not so here. While I never doubted Christian's feelings for Ana and vice versa I thought that in real life or in another kind of book they would have separated kind of like Barbara Streisand and Robert Redford did in "The way we were" You know, lovers who really love each other dearly but just can't live together. But as there was a part two I was prepared to accept a happier ending and just was curious how the author was to reconcile these two incompatible people.

However I felt that in part two they came together waaay too quickly. It was kind of anti climatic after the dramatic finale in part one. Why not let the two be separated for a couple of months, even a year perhaps? Also I really liked the heroine in part one- I didn't feel she was stupid (after all she never signed the contract). She just really was very young and very much in love. I think that is the age where we are willing to risk the most for love and where we are prone (no matter how intelligent we are or how high we score in school) to make some mistakes (like hitch hiking, hooking up with a teacher or a married man, drinking oneself in a stupor...the list of youthful stupidities is endless...).

Personally I was glad they didn't separate for long because as a reader I just wanted them back together! lol Incidentally in the fanfic right now I've caught up and they are at the breakup point and I'm tapping my feet waiting for them to get back together, haha

I liked that Ana never signed the contract though I loved their email negotiations. Very Happy In real life though I would have told her to stay as far away from this guy as she could, for his stalker tendencies alone. But in fiction I like to see characters make choices I wouldn't necessarily make. I agree with you, she was young and just so very much in love and drawn to him physically she was quite reckless.

Quote:

However in part two she seemed more adolescent to me, less likable than in the first part. Not that I dislike her now but I found her more interesting in the first book.

I agree, especially in the 2nd and 3rd there are times she comes across as childish, though I tried to remember that she is still young.

Quote:
What would interest me: Did you already have meaty discussions on the boards and can I still find them here?

haha, loaded question! We have had anywhere from meaty discussions to light hearted discussions to more heated discussions. Since it started out as fan fiction this was a sticking point for many that felt it shouldn't have been published. There were heated discussions about the quality of the writing but while I agree it was amateur I didn't think it was all that bad either, it was fresh, IMHO. AAR has been chopping the threads and starting new ones once they get to a certain number of posts. I adored the books and the series and genuinely enjoy talking about them so as long as there is someone that wants to discuss them I'm up for it. Smile

Quote:
You and I usually had differing views on these kinds of books, sadly I now can't get myself riled up because of the content. I do not find it to be controversial. I even liked Christian though he was a bit of a nutter. Am I getting old? Those books used to rile me up and made me bemoan the fate of feminism. *Sigh*

Kerstin I was surprised you said you enjoyed them because you usually go for more kick ass heroines! However for me personally I didn't see Ana as weak, really she had all the power when it came to this relationship, it's Christian that's emotionally weak. I always got the impression that she could move on with her life if they were to split but I'm not so sure he could. So maybe that's why it didn't bother you, just a thought. Everything is consensual and I think part of feminism is that the choice is there and not the need to conform to what someone else thinks you should do.

I also think that as regular romance readers this is really BDSM light so it's not all that controversial anyway, I've sure read more hardcore stories. For those not used to the explicit sex scenes in the romance or erotica genre I can see where this bit of kink would cause some heated discussions, haha

I do again highly recommend the fan fic! Also if one of the aspects you enjoyed was that Christian was an 'emotional alpha' there are some recs I can throw in there as well, also from more amateur authors. No BDSM -

Strangers - Barbara Elsborg

Thoughtless and then Effortless by S. C. Stephens. Though a warning, the heroine does cheat and is pretty Thoughtless.

Butterfly Tattoo by Deidre Knight

Hope that's some help!

Linda
Kerstin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fifty shades new discussion Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Ah, well I think for me the BDSM aspect certainly made it interesting and sexy at times but only because it was romanticized as it usually is in erotica or romantica. I think maybe you haven't read the 3rd book yet? I don't want to spoil but what I loved most about the romance in FSoG is the compromise that Ana and Christian are willing to make. He lets her know it turns him on but he doesn't want to do anything she's not comfortable with and she's willing to try new things and go lightly into the BDSM aspect for her and ends up enjoying some of it. So for me it was the perfect coming together where each partner gives equal consideration for the other.

I haven't yet read the third book. I am hesitant because I'm not so keen on the unplanned pregnancy plot part I have heard about. I find young lovers (especially ones as complicated as these two) would need much more time for themselves before babies come along!

Quote:
I liked that Ana never signed the contract though I loved their email negotiations. Very Happy In real life though I would have told her to stay as far away from this guy as she could, for his stalker tendencies alone. But in fiction I like to see characters make choices I wouldn't necessarily make. I agree with you, she was young and just so very much in love and drawn to him physically she was quite reckless.

I also loved the email exchanges and the inner goddess musing which seemed to have annoyed so many people.

Quote:
Kerstin I was surprised you said you enjoyed them because you usually go for more kick ass heroines! However for me personally I didn't see Ana as weak, really she had all the power when it came to this relationship, it's Christian that's emotionally weak. I always got the impression that she could move on with her life if they were to split but I'm not so sure he could. So maybe that's why it didn't bother you, just a thought. Everything is consensual and I think part of feminism is that the choice is there and not the need to conform to what someone else thinks you should do.

I was also surprised! But as you have pointed out, I thought Ana would survive without Christian and that he's much more needy than her emotionally. Besides, when Christian first warns her to stay away from him, she actually does that. It is him that pursues her. And she knows she is entering dangerous territory with him but she wans to try things out. She has an adventurous spirit and I liked that about her. But the most important thing was for me that she never signed that contract. She also tells him that she knows that the contact is not legally binding and that he cannot enforce the terms written down in it. So she actually always knew she could end things if she wanted to. Besides he as the celeb had much more to lose in terms of reputation than she had. I felt she had more power in that relationship than he had, especially considering that she had reliable friends and family she didn't have to pay to be loyal.

Quote:
this is really BDSM light so it's not all that controversial anyway, I've sure read more hardcore stories. For those not used to the explicit sex scenes in the romance or erotica genre I can see where this bit of kink would cause some heated discussions, haha

Yes, that is so true. I have also read far kinkier stuff than that. I found it also refreshing and reassuring that there was a safe word though the heroine doesn't make use of it at some point when she should have. But that was her free choice. In some of these kinky erotic romances I felt that the heroine was nearly raped. There was often that very thin line that we called "forced seduction" here. In FSOG we are a far cry from forced seduction and I liked that a lot more. Forced seductions or blackmail sex (with a few exceptions) often make me uncomfortable.

Kerstin
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fifty shades new discussion Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:

Ah, well I think for I haven't yet read the third book. I am hesitant because I'm not so keen on the unplanned pregnancy plot part I have heard about. I find young lovers (especially ones as complicated as these two) would need much more time for themselves before babies come along!
Right, I'm wondering if the baby aspect was put in because Bella in Twilight also has an unplanned pregnancy and this did start as Twilight fanfic. They definitely could have used more time together. I do like the way Ana fights for what's best for her baby, that's all I'll say so I don't spoil to much.

Quote:
I also loved the email exchanges and the inner goddess musing which seemed to have annoyed so many people.

I agree! I think the humor was a welcome relief from the seriousness of the book and I enjoyed that they were playful together. The emails were cute and clever. I liked Ana's inner goddess though at times it was repetitive, most often it made me smile.

Quote:
I was also surprised! But as you have pointed out, I thought Ana would survive without Christian and that he's much more needy than her emotionally. Besides, when Christian first warns her to stay away from him, she actually does that. It is him that pursues her. And she knows she is entering dangerous territory with him but she wans to try things out. She has an adventurous spirit and I liked that about her. But the most important thing was for me that she never signed that contract. She also tells him that she knows that the contact is not legally binding and that he cannot enforce the terms written down in it. So she actually always knew she could end things if she wanted to. Besides he as the celeb had much more to lose in terms of reputation than she had. I felt she had more power in that relationship than he had, especially considering that she had reliable friends and family she didn't have to pay to be loyal.

Definitely she had the most power of the two and she certainly wasn't submissive. I also like how she doesn't stand for the 'Mrs. Robinson' excuses and let her off the hook for bringing Christian into that lifestyle at a young impressionable age.

You are bringing up lots of aspects I enjoyed about Ana, I too liked her adventurous spirit! That's the fun side of having a younger less experienced heroine, she wasn't jaded from past relationships. It was fun to see her take a risk and just go for it.

Quote:
Yes, that is so true. I have also read far kinkier stuff than that. I found it also refreshing and reassuring that there was a safe word though the heroine doesn't make use of it at some point when she should have. But that was her free choice. In some of these kinky erotic romances I felt that the heroine was nearly raped. There was often that very thin line that we called "forced seduction" here. In FSOG we are a far cry from forced seduction and I liked that a lot more. Forced seductions or blackmail sex (with a few exceptions) often make me uncomfortable.

Right, none of that between them, in fact Christian almost becomes more cautious than she is because he doesn't want to risk ruining things once more. Don't get me wrong, I know that he's far from perfect, he's controlling to the extreme but I didn't get the feeling it was coming from a place of disrespect. Not to mention he was in therapy, how many heroes do we run across that have the maturity to know they have a problem and get help for it? I respected that about him and that he had Ana talk to his therapist. I thought that while the story did have some romance clichés it was still fresh in many ways.

Linda[/list]
xina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kersten, I would also recommend Kristen Ashley as a follow-up to 50. I've only read "Knight", but have a few more of her titles downloaded ready to read. There is a another thread here on AAR, regarding her books. The heroes seem to be very dominant and protective (although a bit heavy handed in "Knight") as Christian was with Ana. I think you might enjoy this writer.
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Big Thanks Reply with quote

Very Happy
I stumbled onto this site yesterday morning. Poked around read different stuff, really liked the discussion and information...then I read about the christiangrey blog...OMG is terrific story telling. I love Christians POV and I think that writer is doing a pretty bang up job of adding to the depth of the story.

So I can't thank you all enough for posting that link.

Crying or Very sad the only sad part is I read the whole collection of posts and now there isn't going to be a new chapter until next week! And to be honest I am not sure how much after they get back together I would read. While reading FSoG book two and three where as good. I think way to much happened to them in the course of a week and it lost me. I just didn't think E.L. James can write suspense as well as she writes the romance. But she can nail deep characters so i forgive almost anything. [/b]
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Big Thanks Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
Very Happy
I stumbled onto this site yesterday morning. Poked around read different stuff, really liked the discussion and information...then I read about the christiangrey blog...OMG is terrific story telling. I love Christians POV and I think that writer is doing a pretty bang up job of adding to the depth of the story.

So I can't thank you all enough for posting that link.

Crying or Very sad the only sad part is I read the whole collection of posts and now there isn't going to be a new chapter until next week! And to be honest I am not sure how much after they get back together I would read. While reading FSoG book two and three where as good. I think way to much happened to them in the course of a week and it lost me. I just didn't think E.L. James can write suspense as well as she writes the romance. But she can nail deep characters so i forgive almost anything. [/b]

Hi Judy, welcome to the boards! I am very much enjoying that fan fiction as well, now that I've caught up the wait is agony! At this point I iintend to follow it through for as long as she's into writing it but I'm not sure how the first book coverage will compare. I guess I'm willing to take whatever more Fifty crumbs I can get, lol.

What I didn't like about the suspense in the third book was that it felt very cliché and Ana does something foolish that's kind of a classic romance novel heroine move. The strength of the trilogy is in the relationship, IMHO. I'm interested to see what E.L. James takes on next and how well she does.

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I should say again, there is so much I love about the Characters, and yes I have to remind myself they are characters, what I love about getting lost in a story. BUT, I feel like she rushed all the drama. Not their break-up that was perfect and their getting back together worked for me. I think 5 days apart was spot on. When you feel that connected to someone hours are painful let alone days and it was clear they loved each other and were both compromising so why wouldn’t they try again. So here is the But, I will start with the ex-sub. First not so believable she could get into the apartment, but I will go with it, then to tell us she evades all their attempts to locate her and gets into the apartment again and then into Ana’s. Not believable. My real problem here is the Ana/sub drama could have been pulled out for more suspense. Then right on the heels of that we have Ana’s sick freak of a boss assault her followed by the Christian and the helicopter. Do I have that right?
We have no reason to believe that was his name sick freaking boss has any ability to tamper with a helicopter or the resources to get someone to for him. Not to mention again, if I was Christian I would have a whole new security team because I would be wondering what I was paying for. So I feel like she couldn’t give us a good long drama so she decided to throw everything at us including the kitchen sick.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Big Thanks Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:

I agree. There was way too much going on in the 3rd book, and like some have pointed out, too many sex scenes. But after all that, I really enjoyed the 3rd book, and I've thought many times that it was my favorite. I really liked the fact that they were married and Christian had to fight with himself to devote himself fully to Ana. And I loved his POV in the end. I am very much looking forward to an EL James book from Christian's side of things.
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Big Thanks Reply with quote

I agree. There was way too much going on in the 3rd book, and like some have pointed out, too many sex scenes. But after all that, I really enjoyed the 3rd book, and I've thought many times that it was my favorite. I really liked the fact that they were married and Christian had to fight with himself to devote himself fully to Ana. And I loved his POV in the end. I am very much looking forward to an EL James book from Christian's side of things.[/quote]

I loved her all the stuff about Christian at the end. His first Christmas and then how he stalked Ana at the hardware store. I think that is what I like so much about the ChristainGreyBlog it really does a good job of making the connections with him. LIKE the belt, so perfect and new insight that comes from the two forces fighting for him both people he trusts, but one is light and one is dark. Which the FSoG doesn't give us, because it is Ana's story, but that would of been some good drama.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Thanks Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
I I loved her all the stuff about Christian at the end. His first Christmas and then how he stalked Ana at the hardware store. I think that is what I like so much about the ChristainGreyBlog it really does a good job of making the connections with him. LIKE the belt, so perfect and new insight that comes from the two forces fighting for him both people he trusts, but one is light and one is dark. Which the FSoG doesn't give us, because it is Ana's story, but that would of been some good drama.

Oh I loved the part about his first Christmas and about learning to play the piano. Although book 2 wasn't my favorite it had it's moments. I actually liked the idea of Leila the troubled ex sub coming back to haunt his future I agree that she was able to break into his place far too easily, so much for top notch security.

The blogger has given such great insight into Christian's character that I'm afraid if and when E.L. James does her own version I may not like it as much. Some fan fiction writers are so talented I wonder why they are not published authors in their own right.

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is best Christians POV is left in the FanFic world. I don't think a book from his side would work, it does in the shorter world of FF, but I just don't see it as a stand alone book. I say this as I am sitting waiting with desire for that next chapter of the blog, so maybe I am crazy for thinking the it wouldn't work as a legit book.

Writers, published or un-published like other artist impress the HECK out of me. I am so grateful we live at a time in history that we can enjoy and escape into someone’s art. It doesn’t matter to me if it is Paintings, sculptures, music or writing it can just care me away. I think that is one of the best elements of FSoG the music just adds an element, like in a movie!

Oh and I should add in my previous post that the dark and light fighting for Christian are “Mrs. Robinson/Pedo” and Dr. Flynn (I loved that part of the blog because it really spelled/wrote out the struggle that we all knew/hoped was happening) . In the story it isn’t as spelled out, much more left to the imagination, another place she could of written the drama and it would have been fantastic even from Ana’s side.

Another Note: I think I saw some discussion about Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire and I have to say it was just alright, if someone is looking for the kind of relationship and character development of FSoG this book is not it. IMO
erika

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of fanfction, I have been reading more of it than traditionally published books lately. What I've found is the fanfiction that works more for me are the ones that create their own worlds like FSoG.
Has anyone checked out fanfiction.net??
kmredd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xina I'm loving "Knight"!! Thank you so much. Do you have anymore like that one? Also have you guys seen this? http://thestir.cafemom.com/entertainment/141451/50_shades_of_grey_movie?utm_medium=sm&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=50shades_fanpage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: