AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifty Shades #5...Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
So I don't know how else to handle this situation except to laugh at the unlaugable. Truly Lynn - it's either that or crying over leaving a place I've loved so much for so long and allow these two posters to keep bullying others and chase long time followers away because of their actions. Because that is what is happening.

So here's a thought - if they will stop, I will. If they don't neither will I and the admin at AAR will have to ban me, I am that upset at what I see happening here.

Kristie, really, you're going to leave the board due to the Fifty Shades of Grey thread? I don't understand the mindset, just ignore it if you're not interested. Don't look inside if you know the replies are going to upset you. It's a simple solution to something that apepars ready to drive you over the edge.

This is humor? Well, okay, it looks more like ridicule to me. If the attitude on the boards is really the problem then what exactly would you say about your own posts? You say you'll stop if we stop, what does that mean? You're just going to throw temper tantrum after temper tantrum unless the thread gets shut down? If anything I think this shows that it's not Xina nor I that's the problem, or at least not the sole cause one.

Linda
LynnS/AAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee and Linda, Rehashing everything is really not helping the situation.

Kerstin - Thanks for getting us back on topic. However, I think the time has come to start a new thread if folks want to discuss 50 Shades or the "If you liked 50 shades, you should read..." question.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming late to the party Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:
Just recently finished "Fifty shades of Grey" and really loved it. It seemed to be original, not the usual stuff. However, not so original to explain all the hoopla surrounding it. More amazing than the book is the attention it garnered, also it is surprising that so many people have read it. I really loved it, but I think there are a lot of other romances out there that are equally compelling and perhaps a tad better written (in terms of style and word choice). I guess that has all been discussed already, so I'm fine if you would give me the link to a discussion that already covers my question.

As to the sequel "Fifty shades darker", I don't think it to be as suspenseful as the first book. I know I couldn't put down the first one while I can easily lay my kindle aside now. It seems much more predictable and romance-y. And darker it is so not. The first part was dark at times because you saw two people in love whose life style were basically incompatible, besides the heroine was forced to keep it all a secret. Also, a boyfriend who is seriously into BDSM is actually not something you like to talk about with your Vanilla friend and parents. There are not very many taboos out there but I think BDSM is still not generally accepted. For me it was the classical amour fou and I really loved that. The second part is much more conventional IMO.

Kerstin

Hi Kerstin! Are you looking for a link to recs? Bared to You has been getting a lot of attention, though personally I did not care for it others have. There isn't a BDSM theme but the plot features a rich handsome man and the heroine while more confident than Ana is also kinda clumsy and gets nervous speaking around him.

Gabriel's Inferno is also some Twilight fan fiction that's getting attention lately and it has a sequel that's titled Gabriel's Rapture. Again I don't think there is the BDSM aspect though.

For me the only mainstream romance that I think comes close with the kinky sex would be Patience by Lisa Valdez. I enjoyed it but her prose is a bit purple. It's a historical.

There is some Fifty fan fiction out there right now that is excellent! This author takes us from the beginning via Christian's point of view. I can't rave about it enough, she has him nailed.

http://christiangrey50shades.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/meet-fifty-shades-continued-previously.html?zx=eba44292a1a9646

When it came to the trilogy I thought the first was the best, Fifty Shades Darker but slightly less enjoyable, really didn't love the 3rd one, it came to a point where I started skimming the sex scenes. But then it's typical of me to like the first book in a series first, that moment of discovery is special.

Linda
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LynnS/AAR wrote:
Tee and Linda, Rehashing everything is really not helping the situation.

Sorry, Lynn. I'm not even a contributor to the thread as far as the books are concerned. It's just that... oh, well, you're probably correct. Enough is enough. The attempts were there to try to get things back into perspective. A SNAFU. Very Happy
Lea AAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there is little about the book being discussed at this point, we're relying on you to start another thread if you want to talk about Fifty Shades of Grey. If you are talking about the potential movie, that discussion probably belongs on the General Chat forum.

I'm locking this thread to further discussion.

Audiobooks Bookshelf at Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4403718
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: