AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

12-in-2012 AAR Reading Challenge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dime A Dozen Round 2

Contemporary Done in Round 1
Fantasy Passion Play Beth Bernobich
Futuristic Done in Round 1
Gothic Done in Round 1
Historical Done in Round 1
Inspirational Done in Round 1
Paranormal Haunting Jasmine Anjali Banerjee Aztec Gold
Caridad Pineiro
Romantic Comedy Moon Over Tokyo Siri L. Mitchell Sushi for One? Camy Tang
Romantic Suspense Chase the SunTracie Peterson, Edge of Night Jill Sorenson
Time Travel Overseas Beatriz Williams 11/22/63 Stephen King
Urban Fantasy The Gathering, Kelly Armstrong Hemock Kathleen Peacock
Young Adult Done in Round 1

Passion Play Beth Bernobich

Awful. Just awful. Ilse the incompetent runs away from home, can't manage that properly and winds up as a love slave (slave being a literal term since she is tied up) to thirty men, gets rescued incessantly by the men around her. Good only if you like novels where women are completely incompetent to do more than clean chamber pots.

maggie b.

The Dime a Dozen Round 2, 11 down, 1 to go
New Release Calendar Challenge 7 down, 5 to go

The Hign Noon Challenge, 12 down, 0 to go
Dime a Dozen Challenge, 12 down, 0 to go
The Calendar Challenge 12 down, 0 to go
The Clock Challenge: 12 down, 0 to go

library addict

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The High Noon Challenge: NEW AUTHORS!
The Black Sheep’s Redemption by Lynette Eason:
This book had way too many subplots going. The heroine has amnesia and is being stalked. She gets a job as the nanny to the doctor hero who is accused of murdering his wife. Neither character was fully developed and the villain was very clichéd. The book is part of a multi-author series, but since I haven’t read the others, the rest of the supporting characters also came off as underdeveloped sequel bait. The inspirational aspects fit the story but are heavy-handed in places.

A Dime a Dozen Challenge: 12 down 0 to go…
The Duodenary: Category Romance Challenge 12 down 0 to go…
The New Release Calendar Challenge: 7 down 5 to go…
The Clock Challenge: 5 down 7 to go…
The High Noon Challenge: 11 down 1 to go…
The Counterclockwise Challenge (Marie Ferrarella): 4 down 8 to go…
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dime A Dozen Round 2

Contemporary Done in Round 1
Fantasy Passion Play Beth Bernobich Elfhome Wen Spencer
Futuristic Done in Round 1
Gothic Done in Round 1
Historical Done in Round 1
Inspirational Done in Round 1
Paranormal Haunting Jasmine Anjali Banerjee Aztec Gold
Caridad Pineiro
Romantic Comedy Moon Over Tokyo Siri L. Mitchell Sushi for One? Camy Tang
Romantic Suspense Chase the SunTracie Peterson, Edge of Night Jill Sorenson
Time Travel Overseas Beatriz Williams 11/22/63 Stephen King
Urban Fantasy The Gathering, Kelly Armstrong Hemock Kathleen Peacock
Young Adult Done in Round 1

Elfhome
Wen Spencer
Grade: B+

The elves of Pittsburgh have always known the Oni were the enemy. They did not know the Oni were working with powerful masters. Now those masters are being revealed and it will be up to an unlikely group of humans to save Pittsburgh before it falls into the wrong hands, taking down all the elves have worked to achieve.

Two romances and lots of action and adventure. Fans of the Tinker series will not be disappointed.

maggie b.

This finishes my fifth challenge. Onward!

The Dime A Dozen Round 2, 12 down, 0 to go

Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jury Challenge

Four Rita Award Winners

Simply Irresistible Jill Shalvis
B-

This cute, small town story set in Lucky Harbor reminded me of Nora Roberts' Montana Sky. Three sisters are left an inn by their flighty, hippy mom. Her plan was for them to run the place together and create the kind of family bond she had denied them in life. Middle sister Maddie, running from some bad experiences in her life in L.A. meets local hero Jax when she just about runs him over with her car. Naturally, love follows.

Cute is my highest praise for this one.

Snowbound Janice Kay Johnson
A-

Wow! Amazing Here is the Amazon blurb:
!
Quote:
When a blizzard strands Fiona MacPherson and her students in Oregon's Cascade Mountains, their only hope of survival is to seek shelter at Thunder Mountain Lodge. Their host is John Fallon, a handsome, enigmatic war veteran haunted by secrets and scars that may never heal.

John Fallon never imagined he'd be playing host to this captivating teacher and her eight teenage charges. But when his solitude is shattered by their arrival, his world shifts on its axis. He needs Fiona--but does she need him? There's only one way to find out. The ex-soldier must find the courage to reach out to the remarkable woman who has transformed his life..

I loved this novel. Could not put it down while I was reading it. Just an excellent and touching love story.

One Scream Away Kate Brady
B

Beth Dennison sells dolls, a seemingly completely safe profession. But a crazed serial killer is using a doll collection to torment dear Beth for an event that happened may years ago. A burned out FBI agent comes to her rescue - but can they catch her killer before it is too late?

This is a solid romantic suspense story with a decent romance.

Whisper of Warning Laura Griffin
B

Courtney Glass looks guilty as hell - only she's innocent as a angel. When she meets her ex for a final kiss off she expects a bit of a fight - but not the gun battle she finds herself in the middle of. All evidence points to her guilt. Can she convince Detective Will Hodges she's just a pawn in a hideously dangerous game?

Another solid suspense story with an excellent romance.

maggie b.

The Jury Challenge, 4 down, 8 to go

Sandlynn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since it's the book many people have been talking about lately, I decided to take on E.L. James' Fifty Shades of Grey as part of the Dime a Dozen Challenge in the contemporary category.

I have to say, I don't think I'm going to be counted as one of this book's fans, but I did get through it and was interested enough to see how it would all shake out in the end ... or, at least the end of the first book in the trilogy. I did think the writing wanting at times. At the start, it *did* read like fanfic. As for the characters, the protagonists had faults I couldn't quite get past. I found the lead (Ana) to be a bit of a ninny and it didn't help that the author gave her a downright annoying inner voice. As for the male lead, I just found him to be too warped, which was hard to get beyond as the story was written totally from Ana's viewpoint so there was very little opportunity to see him holistically. 50 Shades? Not really. More like a couple of shades and mostly from Ana's biased mindset....

Spoiler color, now, since I hint at the ending.

Since this book is the first of a trilogy, all involving this couple, you can guess that things are a left "unresolved." I actually was fine with that because I didn't quite see this as a romance. When you don't really look forward to the scenes between the two leads -- which is what a romance thrives on -- you have to wonder whether you can call it a romance, as we understand it here. Well, I didn't look forward to them because I thought the relationship was toxic (not based on the BDSM but based on the unhealthy attitude behind it) and became very impatient with it. Considering *that,* you can imagine I found the ending to be appropriate. In fact, I loved the last handful of pages as they finally presented Ana with the backbone I so wanted to see earlier. In my mind, the ending of this book *is* the ending of this story for me. Ana may have cried but I was cheering.

Last edited by Sandlynn on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
karat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jury Challenge
4 books which have won or been nominated for a RITA Award

2012 RITA Finalists for Romance Novella

"Angel's Wolf" by Nalini Singh in Angels of Darkness

So far, I have read two novellas by Nalini Singh: "Angel's Wolf" and "Angel's Dance", and I have liked both very much. Nalini Singh is able to tell compelling stories within the limited page-count of a novella. Even better, in these two stories the heroines were quite different from what I was used to see in her full-length novels, and that was a very pleasant surprise.
"Angel's Wolf", the RITA finalist, brings a great couple, the vampire Noel (another great tortured hero by Singh) and the angel Nimra. Together, they need to find who is trying to kill Nimra, and in this effort they end up falling in love. Very good story.
"Angel's Wolf" is a story in the Angels of Darkness anthology, and is also available in the Angels' Flight anthology. "Angel's Dance" is also in Angels' Flight, and it is simply one of the best romantic novellas I ever read. The H/h couple is absolutely wonderful. I now have two other novellas in to read in this Singh anthology - hopefully they will be quite good.

The Twelve Days of Christmas Challenge: Done!
The High Noon Challenge: 7 to go
The Jury Challenge: 3 to go
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The High Noon Challenge: NEW AUTHORS!
Accused by Janice Cantore:
This is the first book in the author’s Pacific Coast Justice series. I read it despite my usual dislike for infidelity stories because the murder mystery piqued my interest. The religious aspects of this book at times become obtrusive. The heroine starts off rather wishy-washy and is way too trusting given the fact she suspects a department cover-up in regards to the murder of the mayor. The cast of characters is large enough that I struggled with who was who throughout the first half of the book. The author also has an odd way of incorporating flashbacks that was somewhat jarring. The story would have greatly benefited from the hero’s POV. He’s a very underdeveloped character. The mystery held my interest though it’s wrapped up too quickly in the end. Not sure I can buy into the HEA for the h/h. Apparently the second book in the series continues with them as leads.

The High Noon Challenge: 12 down 0 to go…
The Clock Challenge: 5 down 7 to go…
karat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jury Challenge
4 books which have won or been nominated for a RITA Award

2000 Best Contemporary Single Title

Body Guard by Suzanne Brockmann

From Amazon:
Quote:
YOU CAN LOOK . . . Threatened by underworld boss Michael Trotta, Alessandra Lamont is nearly blown to pieces in a mob hit. The last thing she wants is to put what's left of her life into the hands of the sexy, loose-cannon federal agent who seems to look right through her yet won't let her out of his sight. BUT YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH . . . FBI agent Harry O'Dell's ex-wife and son were tragic casualties in his ongoing war against organized crime. He'll do whatever it takes to bring Trotta down--even if it means sticking like glue to this blonde bombshell who unwittingly married into the mob. She needs him if she wants to stay alive. But staying alive is nothing next to the explosive attraction that threatens to consume them both--and puts them into the greatest danger of all . . . falling in love.

This book was far from being my favorite Brockmann, but it was enjoyable enough. The suspense part was solved somewhat abruptly, but the romance part was ok. The secondary romance was a little bit puzzling, but the main couple worked fine.

The Twelve Days of Christmas Challenge: Done!
The High Noon Challenge: 7 to go
The Jury Challenge: 2 to go
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Release Calendar Challeng

Gun Metal Magic
Ilona Andrews

Liked this one enough to do a review for AAR.

Great book!

Maggie

New Release Calendar Challenge 8 down, 4 to go
The Jury Challenge, 4 down, 8 to go
library addict

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Clock Challenge:
4 Historical Books:
2) Taming Eliza Jane by Shannon Stacey:
While there are flashes of the author’s trademark humor, I felt like there were scenes missing from the book. I wish more time had been spent developing the romance. The h/h were both likeable and I appreciated that [spoiler]the hero didn’t magically cure the heroine of being unable to have children as with many historicals I have read.

3) Becoming Miss Becky by Shannon Stacey: The sequel to Taming Eliza Jane, this story picks up right where the first book ended. The heroine’s transformation from “mouse” to Miss Becky, whorehouse owner, was very rushed. And though I understood the motivation behind her actions, it was difficult to believe. As with the first book, the historical setting isn’t as well developed as it could be. There’s a big misunderstanding that goes on for too long, but overall I liked the h/h.

The Clock Challenge: 7 down 5 to go…
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jury Challenge

Four Books Which Are AAR Contest Winners

All four of mine are from the AAR Top 100 Poll of 2007

Dreaming of You Lisa Kleypas C+

Lord of Scoundrels
Loretta Chase B-

Anyone But You Jennifer Crusie C

MacKenzie's Mountain Linda Howard A-

maggie b.

New Release Calendar Challenge 8 down, 4 to go
The Jury Challenge, 8 down, 4 to go

karat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
The Jury Challenge

Four Books Which Are AAR Contest Winners

All four of mine are from the AAR Top 100 Poll of 2007

Dreaming of You Lisa Kleypas C+

Lord of Scoundrels
Loretta Chase B-

Anyone But You Jennifer Crusie C

MacKenzie's Mountain Linda Howard A-

maggie b.

maggie b., it was funny to see how tastes do differ sometimes! I read Dreaming of You, Lord of Scoundrels, and MacKenzie's Mountain years ago (when I first found AAR) basically because these books had high rankings in the Top 100 Polls. I loved Dreaming of You (to this day one of my favorites), liked Lord of Scoundrels, and did not like Mackenzie's Mountain (I do not remember exactly why, but I think it had something to do with the heroine).
What a difference from your take on them! That's one of the things I like about AAR: seeing how the same books can get so different reactions from readers. Smile
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karat wrote:

maggie b., it was funny to see how tastes do differ sometimes! I read Dreaming of You, Lord of Scoundrels, and MacKenzie's Mountain years ago (when I first found AAR) basically because these books had high rankings in the Top 100 Polls. I loved Dreaming of You (to this day one of my favorites), liked Lord of Scoundrels, and did not like Mackenzie's Mountain (I do not remember exactly why, but I think it had something to do with the heroine).
What a difference from your take on them! That's one of the things I like about AAR: seeing how the same books can get so different reactions from readers. Smile

It is funny, isn't it? In fairness, I am not a big historical fan. I think that more than anything is what accounts for the disparity.

On the 2007 Top 100 I've read 53 books, on the 2010 top 100 I've only read 47. Did you wind up reading the whole list?

maggie b
library addict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Counterclockwise Challenge: Marie Ferrarella
Cavanaugh Rules:
Despite the heroine coming off as strident and the hero too flippant at times, I mostly liked them. However, this latest entry in the long-running series was a disappointment. The murder case takes a back seat for much of the story and then is solved way too easily, followed by an unnecessary twist at the very end which had me literally rolling my eyes. The secondary romance between the hero’s mother and the heroine’s father was very clunky. Also, I really, really wish at least one of these Cavelli siblings would decide to keep the last name they were raised with, rather than changing it to Cavanaugh. I find it so ridiculous grown children would change their last name upon the discovery their father had been switched at birth nearly 50 years prior Rolling Eyes

Mother in Training: This is book 4 in the multi-author “Talk of the Neighborhood” series, which is obvious from all of the neighbors mentioned and/or putting in appearances who do nothing to advance the plot of the book. The hero spends very little time with his kids even though he himself was largely ignored by his parents. The heroine comes to work as the nanny. On one level this was a very fun and light-hearted book. And I realize the hero being such a jerk was part of the plot, but there was a big disconnect from reality for me. Overall, I liked the h/h, but disliked much of the plot.

Military Man: Part of one of the gazillion spinoffs of Silhouette’s Fortune’s Children series, the plot is so over the top ridiculous I quit trying to make sense of it. The hero is an active duty army ranger who works at the CIA Rolling Eyes The heroine is the one who doesn't trust relationships and is emotionally isolated. There was an ick factor for me in that the heroine looks like the hero's ex-fiancée who dumped him for his bff. But since the hero acknowledges it to himself that the resemblance is only superficial, and the heroine has such a different personality, it quickly went away. Too much time is spent in the killer's POV as well as set up for the other books in the series. And there’s a subplot about the death of the heroine’s mother that had me rolling my eyes. But despite all that, the h/h have a surprisingly sweet love story.

My Phony Valentine: The heroine is pressured into impersonating her look-alike cousin for the flimsiest of reasons. How she thinks they'll possibly get away with the lie when they're trying to go into business with the hero is beyond me. And it's ridiculous how upset and hurt she acts when he is angry and unhappy upon learning the truth, as if we're supposed to feel more sympathy for her than him when she’s the one who has been lying! There are some funny scenes, but the way the resolution is handled really irked me.

The Clock Challenge: 7 down 5 to go…
The Counterclockwise Challenge (Marie Ferrarella): 8 down 4 to go…
karat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
It is funny, isn't it? In fairness, I am not a big historical fan. I think that more than anything is what accounts for the disparity.

On the 2007 Top 100 I've read 53 books, on the 2010 top 100 I've only read 47. Did you wind up reading the whole list?

I have not read the entire list. For some time, I used the 2004 list as my main reference for Romance books - it was my "introduction to Romance" phase. While navigating my way through the books in the list, I had to skip some older books I could not find, or when some of the plots involved themes I did not like at all (e.g. time traveling - I have not yet managed to read on of the top 10 books in the list, Outlander, mostly because of the time traveling theme).
After a while, I had a larger list of favorite authors to buy new books, and I also started using other sources of reference (such as the Special Title listings at AAR, or recommendations of other readers in forums, for instance), so I did not get back to the Top 100 list as often. But every 3 years I enjoy seeing the results, and checking which books made it to the list.
Anyway, after your question I decided to check how many of the Top 100 I had actually read over the years. I was surprised, the number was a bit higher than I expected: 75 books on the 2010 Top 100, and 69 books on the 2007 Top 100. Probably because some of my favorite authors (like Lisa Kleypas, SEP and Suzanne Brockmann) are "heavy hitters" in the lists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: