AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A book I won't be reading

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaneO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: A book I won't be reading Reply with quote

This is a bit of a rant. Well, actually, it's nothing but a rant. I just saw an ad for a novel about Isabelle of Castille that said:

"Determined to reign a nation with greatness."

Why would anyone want to buy, or even read, a book by an author who thinks reign is a transitive verb? Did he just check a thesaurus for synonyms for rule? Should I be grateful that he didn't use rein?

Could the English language be given a little respect, please?
EOC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made me chuckle. Last night I finished what was otherwise a good mystery set in the horse racing world - except any illusion of the author's expertise was spoiled by the use of reigns for, you know, those things that the rider holds and uses to control the horse.
willaful

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get over the delectable miasma of food in a recent book... but I wouldn't blame the author for an ad, unless it's a self-published book.
Manda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Back cover copy is generally written by someone other than the author. The author can suggest changes, but the publisher is under no obligation to make them unless it's in her contract.

Ad copy depends. If the author does it herself, she has control over the content. But sometimes publishers put out ads that the author has no knowledge of. Let alone control over.
JaneO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how self-published it is. It's a random House Digital - What does that mean?
LynnS/AAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaneO wrote:
I'm not sure how self-published it is. It's a random House Digital - What does that mean?

That means that it is an eBook published by Random House, so not self-published.
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it have been intended to read, "reign OVER a nation with greatness"? It reads like an omission to me. Still irritating, but unless the book is self-pubbed I'd hold back on blaming the author for an advertisement.

I see this sort of thing all the time. People stick in apostrophes anywhere they see an "s" at the end of word. They have not the least idea about the difference between their, there, and they're, either. I think we're pushing it to expect folks to understand reigns vs reins. Rolling Eyes

Elizabeth
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elizabeth Rolls wrote:
I see this sort of thing all the time. People stick in apostrophes anywhere they see an "s" at the end of word. They have not the least idea about the difference between their, there, and they're, either. I think we're pushing it to expect folks to understand reigns vs reins. Rolling Eyes

Isn't that the truth, though? I've come to the point where I laugh now when I see misplaced apostrophes just because a word ends with an "s." And if that word is a true possessive, then where that apostrophe is placed (before of after the "s") seems to be more a random choice rather than thought out. And, really, it's a simple process that perhaps was not taught well enough (or enough attention paid to it by the pupil) at the appropriate time.
dick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those homophones can trip all of us up: I just noticed I typed "there" for "their" in a prior post. Fingers take their own paths at times, paying little attention to the mind guiding them. But there you go.
JaneO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no one at the publisher could be bothered to proofread a very short advertisement, what do you suppose the proofreading/copyediting of the book is going to be like?

Being that sloppy with an advertisement, which is something that is supposed to attract readers, not drive them away, demonstrates incredible stupidity on the part of whoever was responsible.

I'm still annoyed by it. Could you tell? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: