AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who are the authors on your do not buy list?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldberry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JudyZ6666 wrote:
r00chick wrote:

Yep, we call it "the 5" here in San Diego too. I've also lived in LA before and we also call it "the 5 " there. In fact, no one ever emphasize the "I" in front of any interstate highways here. We always just call them "the (insert number)". Actually, it would be weird to hear someone call it the "I-5" here in SoCal.

Yes, but that's what I mean. It's when authors who are used to the California usage use it elsewhere, with characters who are supposed to be from elsewhere. I've lived in CT, PA, VA, GA, and FL, and I-95 is I-95. Not "the 95." Not "the I-95." Just "I'm taking I-95 from Philly to DC."

That said, it's fine. I won't not like the book. I'd probably experience the same issue over the misnaming of a hoagie, but, oh well. Smile

Judy

NCIS has occasionally referred to 'the 95' or 'the 495' and my husband has almost had to hold me back to keep from throwing things at the TV!
JaneO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the rest of you, but I avoid I-95 from New York through Connecticut whenever possible. It's a horrible road, and certainly not deserving any honorable "the"!
lor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Canadian living on Vancouver Island, I can say that it's always referred to as I-5 around here.

Several years ago my husband and I travelled via ferry from Sidney on Vancouver Island to Anacortes and then via road, including another short ferry trip, to Seattle - you sure wouldn't be jumping on a ferry to Seattle to go to Pike Place Market (which is absolutely amazing!). Now if you were jumping on a ferry from Bainbridge Island to go to the Market, I could believe that.

Lor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: