AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thief Of Shadows
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read the whole series but I read Scandalous Desires and from the brief parts about Winter I was desperate to read his story. I was disappointed for a lot of reasons, mostly because I think Hoyt is such a good writer but the heroine didn't fit well with the hero, there was something missing. Truly stoic, straight-laced hero's are hard to come but are one of my favourite kinds so it was a double shame from that point of view
MEK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, Shelf. I couldn't see them together. Too many differences in age, social experience, economics, social standing. Winter lives in St. Giles, and the heroine is going to move in there? Couldn't buy it..... I also don't remember that many scenes where Isabel just loved the children and wanted to get to know them (even though she raised $$ for them), yet she's going to give up her house and live with them? Hmmm.

I love Winter's character, but not with this heroine - too aristo, IMO

Its funny, though, I WAS able to reconcile Harry Pye and Georgina in the Raven Prince and thought they were great together. I'll have to think about it!
D Rogers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Thief of Shadows Reply with quote

I just finished this a couple of days ago. Overall, I liked it. I didn't find the class differences any less surmountable than those of Caire and Temperance. This doesn't mean there wouldn't be difficulties. Winter will be criticized by society, of course, for latching onto Isabel for her money. And he won't exactly be the life of the party. But she may not expect that of him (she seems a bit weary of that society anyway). The age thing didn't bother me at all--there are men who appreciate an older woman (I have one of those myself--my husband is 7 years younger than I am).

I will agree that this isn't a memorable book (that is, it isn't a keeper for me). The only ones that have stuck with me through the years have been the first series, and Jasper's book in the second series.

I will read the next book, though. I like the series enough to continue to follow it (I did not like Silence and Mickey's book much, but I still am interested in Hoyt's stories). I guess I think she succeeds more than she fails in terms of keeping my interest.

Denise
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: