AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

True Blood Season 5----Anyone watching?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: True Blood Season 5----Anyone watching? Reply with quote

I confess, I'm not all hyped up on the show like I was in years past. Last week I even forgot it was on! For the most part, though, I've been tuning in, there's just nothing else on during the summer, well except Dallas!

Here's where I'm at with a few things:

Sookie- so glad she's not in a relationship this season. I loved those first few episodes with her and Lafayette, they were hysterical. I'm seriously hoping the writers are putting that Debbie Pelt storyline to bed, I know that's not the way it goes in the books, but I'm okay with that ending.

Jason/Jess/Hoyt- as always, Jason is one of my fav characters. So funny, so cute. Just love him. I felt so bad for Hoyt in last week's episode when he was pleading for it to be him, poor guy. I always liked Hoyt.

Tara- I knew they weren't gonna kill her off. When she first turned and she was maniacal, I thought Geez Louise this is gonna send the Tara-haters into overdrive! I do love the scenes between her and Pam, though.

Pam- I do love All-Things-Pam. Loved her flashback scenes, loved those scenes when Eric was releasing her, just love her!

Eric/Bill- Love that little bromance. The good guy/bad guy dynamic is so fun. They play well off each other, I'm hoping for more scenes with the two of them as partners in crime. Loved Eric glamouring Alcide!

The Fairies- I have no idea where this storyline could be headed. I never really read past Book 7 or 8, so I have no clue about the Fairy world or goings-on. I could've sworn, though, that vamps didn't kill the Stackhouses, I could be wrong...?

The Authority- OhEmmmGeee! The one storyline that's just bored me to death! I don't know why, I love Chris Meloni. Maybe after last week's episode it'll pep up a bit, I know I certainly wasn't expecting that ending.

Terry/Smoke Monster/Balrog from Lord of the Rings- I've always loved Terry and this storyline is the most organically truthful to any character since it's explaining a lot of Terry's craziness, but it's a little boring, too. I don't like that the soldiers' actions are the cause of this monster, I don't like that angle.

I do think that the one character that's been the funniest to me this season is Lafayette. Too funny, the actor that portrays him has such great
comedic timing and body language, love him!

I know I'm forgetting a whole bunch of other stuff, so jump in with your comments if you're still watching. And on that note, I'll leave you with this gem, my lovelies: Wink

Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching it and loving it! I haven't enjoyed a season this much since season 1. Usually the season 'bad guy' becomes so annoying it's painful to watch, Maryann and Marnie to name the worst. But Roman wasn't that bad and he's gone and we have Russel whom I LOVE, lol

I'm not feeling Terry's storyline, that's my only real complaint about this season.

I too love that Sookie isn't with Bill or Eric and am enjoying the flirting with Alcide - if you like Pina coladas! LOL I thought the extra whammy Eric put on Alcide with the glamor was a riot. Laughing

Really enjoyed learning how Eric turned Pam, I too love all things Pam.

Sam and Luna - sniff! I thought sure she was gone, happy to see she made it.

Tara - ugh! Annoying as usual but some of the by play between her and Pam is funny - I'm gonna say it..don't say it..I'm gonna say it! lmao!

Lafayette is always enjoyable, I agree about his comedic timing. I expect he'll go head to head wtih this smoke monster somehow.

The Eric/Bill bromance has been fun!

Hoyt is acting like such an idiot..

Jason - didn't we already have a season where he hated vampires? Yes we did, let's not rehash that all over again.

LOVE the fairy nightclub and the additional storyline that brings in! But sorry that is not Claude, Claude is not a skinny little average looking dude, at least from the books anyway.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weighing in...I love the series this season

Alcide...I love his time with Sookie. And the glamoring Eric did on Alcide. "Did you just RECOIL from me?" (Sookie)

Tara...not a huge fan. Was she turned in the books? I can't remember.

Love Pam. Really enjoyed the meeting and turning with Eric. The releasing her was a little sad, for me.

Hoyt is not as his best this season. I hope he will find another love interest. He is looking a little pathetic. Different from last season.

I love Lafeyette. Counting on him for the comedy...always.

Jason...he's all over the place for me. I love him, but I think he is a wild card.

I love the Farie Club. Also, Sookie is showing her extreme strength. Love that.

Russell...What happened to him in the books? He is keeping it interesting.

Eric and Bill are jealous, and looking after Sookie in their own way. hmmm.
robiform

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Linda: I'm not that sure that Roman has met the "true death" at Russell's hands. In the first place, there were no copious amounts of blood spattered all over the place (a sure sign of the "true death") when Russell allegedly "staked" Roman. And in the second place, the "True Blood" producers spent a lot of time promoting the fact that Christopher Meloni was going to be on season 5. It would be really odd to kill off his character not halfway through the season! After all, this isn't Game of Thrones, where a certain major character was killed off, much to everyone's shock! (That is, everyone who hadn't read A Song of Ice and Fire!)

So far, I'm enjoying this season, and as long as Joe Manganiello (Alcide) takes off his shirt at least once an episode, I'm a happy camper! Laughing
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robiform wrote:
@Linda: I'm not that sure that Roman has met the "true death" at Russell's hands. In the first place, there were no copious amounts of blood spattered all over the place (a sure sign of the "true death") when Russell allegedly "staked" Roman. And in the second place, the "True Blood" producers spent a lot of time promoting the fact that Christopher Meloni was going to be on season 5. It would be really odd to kill off his character not halfway through the season! After all, this isn't Game of Thrones, where a certain major character was killed off, much to everyone's shock! (That is, everyone who hadn't read A Song of Ice and Fire!)

So far, I'm enjoying this season, and as long as Joe Manganiello (Alcide) takes off his shirt at least once an episode, I'm a happy camper! Laughing

Dang, I knew it was too good to be true! i'm not wild about the way he over acts the part.

Linda
jebe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

i'm not wild about the way he over acts the part.

Linda

Thank you! I thought his ranting and raving was way over-the-top, and for me to think that about a character on a show that is the essence of over-the-top, well then that's sayin something!
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

Xina, he's in the books but not quite in the same capacity I think, it's been a while and I don't remember what happened to him.

Tara does not become a vampire in the books, the Tara of the books and tv series are quite different. In the books she's Sookie's friend, owns a clothing store and goes on to marry and have twins.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
xina wrote:

Xina, he's in the books but not quite in the same capacity I think, it's been a while and I don't remember what happened to him.

Tara does not become a vampire in the books, the Tara of the books and tv series are quite different. In the books she's Sookie's friend, owns a clothing store and goes on to marry and have twins.

Linda

Yes, I remember Tara owning a clothing store. She was a "normal" person, or at least human. Now...Pam is her "mother". Smile I wonder how far they will take Tara?
Very bloody episode last night. Lilith showing up was interesting. Who, or what is she exactly? Is she the creator of them all? *confused* But par for the course with this series. Still love it though.
jebe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about Sookie and her powers. In the books, are her powers finite? I realize that the TV show is far different than the books, but there does seem to be some tie-ins. For instance, didn't one of the books have a story arc about shifters being shot? I read that one, but for the life of me I can't remember how it all panned out!
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying this season so far but I can't say it's been my favorite (or close to it.)

I really enjoy when they mix in some humor- particularly with Lafayette. He is a comedic genius and can make almost any line they give him genuinely funny. His interactions with Sookie were great in the first few episodes.

Love Pam as always and love the strong, decent Alcide, sigh.

Things I am getting tired of:

Salome- did anyone not see that twist coming? Does anyone not find her increasingly annoying?

Characters acting way out of character or nonsensical-

Hoyt- he was very much the moral center at times and now he is SO devastated by his breakup with Jess he is going from "fangbanger" to member of a hate group? In one episode? Don't love it.

Arlene has just been through situations where her dead husband Rene appeared to her as a ghost, Lafayette was possessed by a dead woman obsessed with her baby, her best friend was held captive by a malevolent witch, she lives and works alongside vampires, shifters etc and knows that Sookie is a genuine mind reader but absolutely won't consider that her husband may be cursed? In the world she lives in is it really that far-fetched?

Is Jason going to turn into a vampire hater...again? His growing friendship/relationship with Jess was great and now it's just over?

Never been a Tara fan but the good thing about her story line is Pam and her reactions. Mixing Pam in is like putting frosting on something unpalatable to make me like it better Wink
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
I was wondering about Sookie and her powers. In the books, are her powers finite? I realize that the TV show is far different than the books, but there does seem to be some tie-ins. For instance, didn't one of the books have a story arc about shifters being shot? I read that one, but for the life of me I can't remember how it all panned out!

I haven't yet watched Sunday's ep so can't comment there. I can't even recall if Sookie has these kinds of powers in the books, anyone else? I do know when she was told on the show that her powers were finite it was a shocker to me so if she does have them in the books they must not be finite.

Linda
jebe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisReader wrote:
Hoyt- he was very much the moral center at times and now he is SO devastated by his breakup with Jess he is going from "fangbanger" to member of a hate group? In one episode? Don't love it.

I agree, Hoyt used to be such a nice guy. Now he's gone from Goth-to-vigilante in one quick step.

Any guesses on who The Dragon is that called the Hate Group? I thought maybe the old Sheriff, since that little scene came outta nowhere. My son thinks it could be Hoyt's mama! That would be quite the surprise.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies - agree about Hoyt! Can't believe how they've taken his character down.

On a funnier note, saw this posted on facebook and it made me LOL!

Linda
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe said
Quote:
Any guesses on who The Dragon is that called the Hate Group? I thought maybe the old Sheriff, since that little scene came outta nowhere. My son thinks it could be Hoyt's mama! That would be quite the surprise.

I was thinking it may be the old sheriff too (otherwise why bring him back for one 30 second scene?) or the powerful guy who got Andy to erase his son's ticket and took Andy and Jason to the Faery club?

Forgot to mention about characters who are acting silly- Sookie trying to "use up" all her powers. Yeah, she would definitely be safer around vampires and the supernatural with no powers. (Huge sarcastic eye roll). And unless she was planning to pack up and move everyone would still think of her as "crazy" Sookie the Vampire lover.
jebe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

He's def one badass mofo! Linda, didn't you mention that you watch The Vampire Diaries, too? Or am I thinking of someone else? If so, how about that season finale? Shocked

ChrisReader wrote:
or the powerful guy who got Andy to erase his son's ticket and took Andy and Jason to the Faery club?

OMG! Good one, I completely forgot about him.

And yes, totally agree w/the aspect of Sookie wanting to be "normal." Really?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: