AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Susan Elizabeth Phillips' The Great Escape
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clutterconqueror

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
Leigh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have very high expectations for this book. I am just not fond of goody two shoes type heroines. Still there were parts of it that really brought me out of the story. I almost could say ditto on Maggie's review for my comments.

I thought the comment about bleeding five days and not dying really crass - but I am sure that there is a bumper sticker out there some place that says that. And SEP does do shock value scenes -like the scene from Ain't She Sweet where the character is naked in the locker room on her period so I sort of overlooked that but the hero thinking Lucy looked 15 and that turned him on, really turned me off.

I also had a difficult time accepting the change in Lucy from her previous characterization.

And Yes I loved the secondary characters more .

I doubt I will ever re-read it.
jaime

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I read the whole book now and the only thing I liked about it were some of the secondary characters.

I thought "Panda" was icky and SEP never managed to redeem him from the way he was acting in the beginning. And Lucy - I loathed her! That much of a self-pitying whiner and she wasn't a teenager but a woman in her thirties. Instead of evolving she devolved. Meh. Sad

I did like both Natural Born Charmer and Simply Irresistible - so it's not like I have an automatic hate-on for seriously flawed heroes and heroines. But there is a difference between wanting to give a hero and heroine a good smack because they annoy you, and the way I reacted to Panda and especially Lucy.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:

I did like both Natural Born Charmer and Simply Irresistible - so it's not like I have an automatic hate-on for seriously flawed heroes and heroines.

I really like what you said here., hence my addition of the bold. SEP heroines such as Phoebe from It Had to Be You can have some real issues. But most of the time, they have a reason for it. And most of the time, they show a lot of strength.

Lucy was just messed up, with no way out of it. And she had been such a cool kid - that's what really bummed me out.

maggie b.
BeeCali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: A bit of a bummer... Reply with quote

I listened to the audio for free via Overdrive library checkout. Since I was listening, I had time to think and sometimes I wondered where all this plot was going. There were many recycled elements from her previous books but the arrangement here was not as smooth. Introducing the secondary characters seemed disjointed and for me tipped this into a Woman's Fiction genre. If there had been a POV from Patrick "Panda" earlier, and about his PTSD, I may have enjoyed this more.

I won't be relistening or reading this one when I usually revisit SEPs backlist often for rereads.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of mixed thoughts about this book. It started out great, then sort of unraveled a bit. I don't think Lucy was that interesting of a character here acting the way she did. Actually, I felt she showed a lot of immaturity throughout the book with many of the things she did. OTOH, I did enjoy the witty dialog between Panda (I agree with others about this name) and Lucy.

Usually I like SEP's secondary characters, but I wasn't that enthralled with this particular relationship. For me, The Great Escape was better than Call Me Irresistable, which turned out to be a DNF on my radar screen. The beginning of this story showed potential, but the plot just didn't stay strong enough to sustain it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: