Hott Take
Grade : B+

Looking for a light, fun read? Hott Take is a cute, relaxing comfort read--it's the second book in the Hott Springs Eternal series and takes place in beautiful Rush Creek, Oregon.

This is Shane and Ivy’s story, both Hollywood actors that have returned home to Rush Creek. The story opens with the Hott family gathering together to hear what their grand dad chose as a task for Shane. (Their gran dad’s will stipulates that each brother must complete a specific task to save the family's land and business from being sold to a mining company.) Shane’s task is to organize a celebrity couple’s wedding at The Hott Springs Spa which is owned by the Hott family. The Spa was a working ranch until a few years ago when Hanna (Shane’s sister) and her granddad decided to convert it into a wedding venue and spa.

Shane and Ivy were both actors in different popular fantasy shows. Shane is very popular right now and has paparazzi following him all over. He’s trying to decide which part to choose for his next project. Ivy is currently disillusioned with Hollywood. She's happy in Hott Springs where she and her sister run a children’s theater in town. Shane is having trouble finding a celebrity couple willing to marry at the Hott Springs Spa and when he meets Ivy, and she needs a favor from him, he thinks she might be the perfect fake bride to help him with a celebrity wedding - she's an actress so she can play the part, plus she's beautiful. In exchange for being his bride, Ivy and her sister can use the wedding venue for their children’s plays.

As they stage publicity shots their attraction builds and they make each other laugh. When they decide to be fake fiancés with benefits, they enjoy some spicy times together especially when they reenact some steamy scenes from their fantasy shows. Shane tells Ivy that he doesn’t believe he is made for love because of past relationships and he doesn’t think he can ever fall in love. This was my least favorite part of the story – most romance readers quickly realize he just needed to meet the right person (Ivy).

They are a perfect match together but they have some things to work through. Ivy has another reason to say yes to Shane’s scheme and I don’t want to say too much but she has an ex from her past that is pressuring her to return to Hollywood. She loves being near her family in Rush Creek and has no interest in returning to L.A. Meanwhile, Shane has issues with his father, who is Shane's manager. The two disagree on what Shane should do with his stardom.

While this book stands well on its own, I do think it’s helpful to have read the first book in the series, Hott Shot, to get familiar with Shane’s family first - plus it’s fun! I actually liked Hott Shot just a little bit more than this one, but Hott Take is an easy, fun read. I think readers who like romcoms with weddings and those who enjoyed the Wilder Series will have fun reading this steamy, light romance. 

Reviewed by Kayne Spooner
Grade : B+

Sensuality: Warm

Review Date : April 16, 2024

Publication Date: 04/2024

Recent Comments …

Kayne Spooner

Kayne Spooner is a retired science teacher, dog owner, and proud grandma who lives in beautiful Colorado. While she's an avid reader of all genres, romances have always swept her off her feet. Kayne gravitates toward stories with humor, swoon-worthy love interests, and memorable furry sidekicks, although really, if there's a happy ever after, she's here for it! She loves sharing her passion for books with the romance community and connecting with fellow readers. https://www.instagram.com/kspoonerfish/.
Subscribe
Notify of

2 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
What's your opinion?x
()
x